Best Of Johnny Depp?

Tools    

Donnie Brasco
Sleepy Hollow
Nick of Time
Secret Window
Pirates of the Caribbean

Depp is great. My favorite film of his is What's Eating Gilbert Grape, but I also love Ed Wood, Donnie Brasco, From Hell and Edward Scissorhands.

See the trailer here:

I know that many say his Jack Sparrow is completely overrated but to those I disagree. His work in that is just classic on-screen magic.

Edward Scissorhands has largely become a kind of cliche for many, but I believe even in its awkwardness and oddities he steals the show.

Chocolat, though, probably not if you're looking for the screen to be filled with Depp. It's a great kind of cameo more or less.

Benny & Joon, adorable.

Ed Wood, one of my favorites of his works.

- Sleepy Hollow
- Finding Neverland
Platoon, another small role but all in all the film itself is wonderful.

Dachshunds Fear Me
I know that many say his Jack Sparrow is completely overrated but to those I disagree. His work in that is just classic on-screen magic.

Edward Scissorhands has largely become a kind of cliche for many, but I believe even in its awkwardness and oddities he steals the show.

Chocolat, though, probably not if you're looking for the screen to be filled with Depp. It's a great kind of cameo more or less.

Benny & Joon, adorable.

Ed Wood, one of my favorites of his works.

- Sleepy Hollow
- Finding Neverland
Platoon, another small role but all in all the film itself is wonderful.
I completely agree with you about Pirates, but I guess that's obvious, considering...

His Jack Sparrow is probably one of the ballsiest screen creations since Gloria Swanson as Norma Desmond. Absolutely fearless - he could've fallen flat on his face, but instead, he created an icon.

And your avatar? One of my all-time favorite movies, let alone favorite/best Johnny Depp movies.

Others:
DEAD MAN
SLEEPY HOLLOW
DONNIE BRASCO
EDWARD SCISSORHANDS

George: Arthur.

His Jack Sparrow is probably one of the ballsiest screen creations since Gloria Swanson as Norma Desmond. Absolutely fearless - he could've fallen flat on his face, but instead, he created an icon.
Definitely an icon. You're absolutely right, it's amazing how that man goes out on a limb with almost all he does and manages to run away with the show. I admire that type of ambition.

And your avatar? One of my all-time favorite movies, let alone favorite/best Johnny Depp movies.
Mine as well.

what's eating gilbert grape

Best of jhonny depp
Sweeny Todd

I liked Johnny before the pirate movies. My favorite movies of his are:

Benny and Joon
Ed Wood
Secret Window
What's Eating Gilbert Grape
The Ninth Gate
Blow

My List

1. Edward Scissorhands
2. Benny & Joon
3. What's Eating Gilbert Grape
4. Pirates Of The Caribbean Series
5. Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber Of Fleet Street

My favorite Johnny Depp movies:

5. Sleepy Hollow
Tim Burton's has a great style to his movies, but for my money, not enough substance. Sleepy Hollow is the exception. The idea of this movie wasn't one that had any real appeal for me, but it turned out to have more in terms of story & character than I would've expected. A fleshed out story, combined with Burton's "avante gardeness", Johnny Depp's usual distinctive approach to the role & a great cast of "other" characters made this a surprise hit for me.

4. Chocolat
Juliette Binoche & chocolate. Two great tastes that go great together.
And yeah, I guess Johnny Depp is in this flick too. But this movie puts me too much in the mind of a chocolate Binoche to be able to focus on anything else.

3. Once Upon A Time In Mexico
While I still enjoyed the very first installment of this "El Mariachi trilogy", Once Upon A Time In Mexico does come in second. And yeah, I know that this is more an exercise in style over substance, with basically just a bunch of good-looking people doing bad-ass things.
But this movie is also an example the one characteristic I like most about Johnny Depp: he tries to approach each role in a manner that one wouldn't expect from a typical "Hollywood pretty boy".

2. Donnie Brasco
Johnny plays opposite Al Pacino ( playing, this time, opposite side of the cosa nostra heirarchy). An under-cover officer trying to infiltrate the mog via a low-level aging hitman who can't get no respect.
For me, a great gangster movie isn't just about "wacking" people. It's when it shows the inner-most details of how the mob works. This one goes towards the very lowest part of the totem & shows us how the "cogs" grind thru a living in hopes of someday climbing that mafia ladder.

1. Finding Neverland
Johnny Depp & Kate Winslet solidly anchor this fairy tale-ish depiction behind the process of a fairy tale.
Finding Neverland starts off as a story of a man who's refusal to grow up results in the fantasy based chapters of his stage production & ends with a boy who is forced to grow up by the grim reality of the loss of a loved one.
The end is truly moving & successfully endearing enough to mask the pixie-like liberties taken with any historical fact of this story of the inner mental creative workings of the man who would eventually find the Lost Boys.

Hands down!!!!
I don't know.
Is it Captain Howdy?

\m/ Fade To Black \m/
I loved Johnny Depp in Pirates of the Caribbean he plays that charector perfectly, I dont know any one else who could of made captin Jack Sparrow come to life as he did.

He was also great in Once uppon a time in mexico and willie wonka.

He is a top quality actor one of my favs!

You Talkin' To Me?
1. Fear & Loathing in Las Vegas (1998 - Terry Gilliam)
2. Dead Man (1995 - Jim Jarmusch)
3. Ed Wood (1994 - Tim Burton)
4. Donnie Brasco (1997 - Mike Newell)
5. Arizona Dream (1993 - Emir Kusturica)
I agree whole-heartedly, Fear & Loathing is a great visual for one of my favorite books. I might throw Edward Scissorhands in there though.

I heard that Depp's going to be in another film adaptation of a Hunter S. Thompson book, The Rum Diary. Is this true?

Movie Forums Extra
What's Eating Gilbert Grape
Finding Never land
Pirates Series

As a brooding black nail polish wearing teenager I use to think Johnny Depp was a walking legend. An anti-hero which an acute sensitivity and subversive masculinity that championed and challenged to me the ideals of what a leading man could actually be….

As an adult in his 20s I now look at Johnny Depp and see a one trick pony. An actor who relies upon watered downed gothic and somewhat quirky monotone and regurgitated performances too mass acclaim.

What’s gone wrong? Have I simply grown up and become cynical? Have I had the true realisation that Johnny Depp has always been a substandard actor? Or has Depp in the naughties simply become an industry machine production line?

For me his last “true” performance was in Fear and Loathing. Everything else has been dead ever since. I was embarrassed to watch his attempt at Willy Wonka. The film and his performance was truly truly awful.

His two Oscar nominations for Pirates of the Caribbean and Sweeny Todd were nothing short of a joke. An industry acknowledgement of his longevity, alternative nature, good behaviour, popularity and box office bankability.

R.I.P Johnny Depp who died in 1998.

Best performances in not particular order:

1: Edward Sissor Hands
2: Fear and Loathing
3. What’s Eating Gilbert Grape.

Maybe Sweeney Todd...

\m/ Fade To Black \m/
I think Johnny Depps bests are -

"Edward Scissorhands" as Edward Scissorhands
"Sleepy Hollow" as Constable Ichabod Crane
Obviously "Pirates of the caribbean" as Captin Jack Sparrow
"Charlie and the chocolate factory" as Willy Wonka

I havent seen Sweeny Todd yet but Ive heared he is great in that also.

Little floppy, hoppy, bunnies!
Love Johnny Depp in Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas also Donny Brasco ( might of spelled wrong ).

A system of cells interlinked
Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas

Dead Man

Sleepy Hollow