R.I.P. Charlton Heston

Tools    

R.I.P. Charlton...

We will always have disagreements with somebody's life but we don't need to think of that when they pass away. Would you like it if everybody you knew would just say bad stuff about you or their disagreements with things you did in your life?

Rest In Peace Charlton. Away from those apes! No really lets be serious. R.I.P Charlton....

I really liked Planet of The Apes and it was one of my favorite movies that I saw when I was little. Maybe I can find it if a TV channel will do this as a tribute to him?

If you cannot say something nice about someone...say nothing.

So I say:

I just wanted to say that I respected his achievements as an actor but I disagreed majorly with his views on guns. I don't see any problem with talking about someones bad points as well as their good points in an RIP thread. I respect more the obituaries that talk about people on a real life level rather than putting them on some kind of pedestal.
It was the wording, then. Saying you disagree is fine, but the "rest in peace to the actor . . . " didn't come across very well to me.

I'm simply expressing surprise (and admittedly, a little distaste).
That was how I felt.

It should be the same, as with anyone you love. Where even though someone disagrees with them, religiously, politically, etc . . . you wouldn't want them saying such a thing. I wouldn't, anyway.

I also believe, like with the Heath Ledger thread, that out of respect, if anyone disagrees, or even flat-out hates the person, they should make a thread about that. Leave all negative remarks for another thread, and leave the R.I.P thread, to exactly that. Let it be nice comments, pleasant posts about their career, life, achievements . . .

That's just how I feel.

guys I'm very sorry if I offended you but usually in an obituary thread don't people discuss someones life? I'm obviously out of line on this boards etiquette. I'll keep my comments for elsewhere.

Put me in your pocket...
Rest in Peace Mr. Heston. You'll always be Moses and Ben Hur to me. But, I also loved you as the hard headed and testosteroney foreman Steve in The Big Country. It was odd to see you in an antagonistic role and I wasn't sure if I like it...but you made it work and looked studly while doing it. I also loved your voice....very strong, like the characters you portrayed.

R.I.P.

But, I also loved you as the hard headed and testosteroney foreman Steve in The Big Country. It was odd to see you in an antagonistic role and I wasn't sure if I like it...but you made it work and looked studly while doing it. I also loved your voice....very strong, like the characters you portrayed.
I'll check that out. I need to see quite a few of his, I am sure. I am also pretty sure that this one isn't very popular, if even seen by many, but I loved Gideon. It was so sad, though.

Christopher Lambert ... Gideon Oliver Dobbs
Charlton Heston ... Addison Sinclair
Carroll O'Connor ... Leo Barnes
Shirley Jones ... Elly Morton
Mike Connors ... Harland Greer
Barbara Bain ... Sarah
Shelley Winters ... Mrs. Willows
Crystal Bernard ... Jean MacLemore
Christopher McDonald ... Alan Longhurst
Mykelti Williamson ... Coleman Walker
Taylor Nichols ... Dr. Richard Willows
Michael Bowen ... Billy Ray Turner
Harvey Korman ... Jacob Titleman

Colour out of Time
guys I'm very sorry if I offended you but usually in an obituary thread don't people discuss someones life? I'm obviously out of line on this boards etiquette. I'll keep my comments for elsewhere.
I have been thinking about this and personally I don't think that you had breached netiquette or even etiquette ... I too had problems with the right wing gun stuff and you did put it into context ... we all agree that his professional life added to our passion which is the movie experience but to ignore his politics seems a bit too fake ... so don't stop with your comments Mate because there is more to a life in how good you are at your career or how you interact with your family and friends.

I had a similar thing when Steve Erwin (Crocodile Hunter) RIPed.

Colour out of Time
LOL ... and off topic ... IMO he was an embarressment to Aussies and biologists alike (the way he grabbed and distressed wildlife)... and i have grave problems with the 8 yo Bindi being 'groomed' to take his place. No one I know (and i live in a ruralish area) speaks like that ... and having his yank wife use those quaint outback terms (eg. Crikey) makes me cringe culturely. He was known as an Aussie icon more in the states than in his homeland.

But back on-topic ... I raised another glass to the memory of Charlton with others at my local pub this evening and we shared memories of great performances and movies.

.....doesn't know what to put here!
I'm a bit late replying to this topic but better late than never
R.I.P. Charlton Heston, although i've only seen one of your films (Airport 1975), i will still show my respects.

I think it does actually.
I agree--Rest in peace generally is taken as a total forgiveness if not blessing of both one's vices and virtues. Chuck Heston wasn't bashful about speaking or standing up for his convictions when he was alive and I doubt if he ever expected--or wanted--universal praise at his death. The truth is, he was a complicated person who ticked off some people by advocating free and open access to firearms, but he also ticked off a lot of people on the other side of the political scale back in the 1960s when he marched with King and other civil rights leaders for the end of racial segregation in the South. I didn't always agree with his politics, but it seems to me that maybe he supported the whole Constitution and personal freedom in general rather than selective issues and freedoms. One freedom I'm pretty sure he would have supported is the right of participants to express fully their opinions of his work and his life--including the pros and cons of his politics--in this forum.

And it's right that we do so. After all, I don't endorse Jane Fonda's earlier radical politics, but Cat Ballou still makes me laugh.

I thought Erwin was universally loved?
The few times I saw Erwin, he reminded me of the time my girlfriend's little brother caught a ground squirrel and was going to keep him in a box filled dirt. Being about 16-17 at the time, I reached in and grabbed the tiny animal, holding his tiny body in my closed fist with just his head sticking out. The wiggling ground squirrel managed to work his shoulders and then his front legs out of my fist and cutely used his front paws to push up on my encircircling fingers, pulling the rest of his body upward until finally he was able to lean over and grab the first knuckle of my finger with his four razor-sharp front teeth and bite the living crap out of me! I proceeded to drop the little animal, who then scampered into some hiding place among the furniture. He may be there yet; I'd certainly had all I wanted of him.

So every time I'd be flipping channels and see Erwin grab up some frightened animal from its natural habitat and keep playing with and tormenting the thing until it finally reached over and took a big bite out of his arm or face, I'd chuckle to myself, shake my head and say, "What a jerk!"

That's okay. Nobody's perfect!
RIP Mr Heston

One of my favorite films he made was Will Penny.

The Evil (words) that men (say) live after them. The Good is oft interred with their Bones.

Guys, you're free to argue about guns, but I'd prefer it not be here. Maybe it was inevitable that this would happen, but this really isn't about Heston anymore, and thus belongs somewhere else.

Regardless of whether or not anyone wishes to continue, I'll revisit this later and see about moving these posts into their own thread.

UPDATE: the posts which this was in reference to have since been moved to Gun Control and Heston's Legacy thread in the Intermission forum. Please direct any conversations on the topic of gun control there.

Does anyone remember the time Heston was on Saturday Night Live? That skit when he played Elwood the stockboy was priceless.