Question: Is Knocked up better than The 40 Year Old Virgin?

Tools    

I've been thinking about this one, I love them both and they sort of follow each other, What do you think?

For me The 40-Year-Old Virgin had more and bigger laughs in it, but Knocked Up was purposefully more low key and a little more realistic. I like them both and they're certainly many steps above most of what passes for comedy in the multiplex these days, but I'll definitely be watching Virgin more than Knocked Up over the years to come.

Though honestly I already watch "Freaks & Geeks" and "Undeclared" over and over again more than the potential of both of those two movies combined.

"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

I sort of disagree with you, if i may say so, I love 40 but it was missing the magic. By that I mean: look at other 'nerd' flicks like Napoleon Dynamite. They are not just nerdy but clever and touching (love the way the cow gets shot and the reaction on the kids in the bus) I feel that Knocked up has that angle -- then again what the hell do I know?

I thought Napoleon Dynamite was trying way too hard and not anywhere near the wit, heart and brilliance of something like Rushmore, nor the darkness of say Welcome to the Dollhouse and certainly not the off-the charts weirdness of a Gummo, so there you go.

I'll take 40-Year-Old Virgin, you can have Knocked Up and Napoleon Dynamite. Now everybody's happy.

A system of cells interlinked
I liked Wedding Crashers, myself... Not a big fan of Napoleon Dynamite.. Have yet to see Knocked Up or The Forty Year Old Virgin

You ready? You look ready.
Napoleon Dynamite was high class ***** on a stick.
"This is that human freedom, which all boast that they possess, and which consists solely in the fact, that men are conscious of their own desire, but are ignorant of the causes whereby that desire has been determined." -Baruch Spinoza

Ok, Rushmore then Holden Pike. LOL

I haven't seen Knocked Up yet, but it is on my Net Flix reserve list. I'm really looking forward to seeing it.

40 Year ..Virgin is one of my favorite comedies, and the funniest thing that has come out in the past decade, imo. The humor was right up my alley. It had a nice mix of sacrastic wit, and sexual/potty humor. I laughed all the way through it the first time I watched it, and I still get some good laughs after seeing it several times afterwards.

"AAAAAHHHHHHH KELLY CLARKSON!!!!"

AAAHHHH KELLY CLARKSON! Regardless -- if you don't freack out having to see a subtitled movie, there was this great Spanish (spain Europe) comedy: "A los dos lados de la cama" -- Anyway, if one day you are bored and you find the flick give it a shot. you never know, you may like it. It's sort of like the ones we are talking about...

Haven't seen knocked up only saw 40yr old Virgin last week, I didn't laugh all until the last scene but as time goes on I find myself laughing about scenes, as i think back on them, so I think I need to see it again

Definitely 40 year old Virgin there was so many laughs in that movie...But Knocked up like people were saying is more realistic and low key

Thought Knocked Up was a good movie but just wasn't funny, it it's existence seemed contigent on the banter between characters instead of a plot. Although individually the banter and movie were ok, they didn't seem to gel too well, left it feeling uneven and boring with minimum laughs.

NOT ACTUALLY BANNED
Thought Knocked Up was a good movie but just wasn't funny, it it's existence seemed contigent on the banter between characters instead of a plot. Although individually the banter and movie were ok, they didn't seem to gel too well, left it feeling uneven and boring with minimum laughs.
Really!? I thought Knocked Up had some of the best chemistry I've ever seen. The only one who felt a little "Out" was Katherine Heigl, but maybe that's because all the others had worked with each other before.

And I thought Knocked Up was really funny, just not as funny as Virgin.

Yeh, the chemistry was good hence why the banter was, although they seemed to just base the film around that and the story was just filler around these scenes. Whereas Virgin employed it a lot better were the Rudd/Rogen pieces were a side story, not the main focus. I can't think of one joke in Knocked Up, some bits were amusing but not laugh out loud, and Rudd's all marriage sideplot was annoying and Rogen's friends were severely underwritten and used, once Rudd came on they were almost forgotten, especially when you compare them to Carrel's friends in Virgin.

I just saw the movie 'Knocked Up' yesterday.. It was good, but not as good as '40-Year Old Virgin' IMO. The language in Knocked up is also a little bit too strong/bold for my liking.

Whoa... I know kung-fu!
I know people who could have been in 40 Year Old Virgin (unfortunately, lots of people were saying that I was the star but I'm not 40 yet).

Knocked Up is funny, too. It's one of the best films of the year so far.

Looking forward to Super Bad.

I haven't seen Knocked up as yet but it has just to come extremely good to top 40 year old virgin.

PS: Napoleon Dynamite was sh*t in my books - I disposed of this DVD