Movie Tab II

Tools    

i'm SUPER GOOD at Jewel karaoke
P.S - for once, i liked that Topher guy. one of the better sex scenes, too. vehement out of ten

Raising Arizona - weakest Coen movie (minus their recent butcheries), but Hunt was actually watchable! i loved the chase scene where she's driving with the babe. domino out of ten

Chinatown crackerjack out of ten

I am having a nervous breakdance
The Great Yokai War (2005 - Takashi Miike)

The New World (2005 - Terrence Malick)

--------

They had temporarily escaped the factories, the warehouses, the slaughterhouses, the car washes - they'd be back in captivity the next day but
now they were out - they were wild with freedom. They weren't thinking about the slavery of poverty. Or the slavery of welfare and food stamps. The rest of us would be all right until the poor learned how to make atom bombs in their basements.

Originally Posted by Piddzilla
The Great Yokai War (2005 - Takashi Miike)

The New World (2005 - Terrence Malick)

How did you like The New World? I absolutely loved it.

Originally Posted by NewDawnFades
How did you like The New World? I absolutely loved it.
I liked it a lot of course. The Thin Red Line is one of my absolute favourite films so it's kind of hard to top that one. But, yeah, I liked it a lot.

A system of cells interlinked
^^^ I liked The New World, but I like The Thin Red Line quite a bit more. I am in awe of TTRL each time I watch it... I also found the score in The New World grating on my nerves a couple of times...

Meanwhile:

Solaris (Soderbergh, 2002)

A Very Long Engagement (Juenet, 2004)

American Beauty (Mendes, 1999)

You ready? You look ready.
Everyone's Hero- I haven't loved an animated film this much since Finding Nemo. B+
"This is that human freedom, which all boast that they possess, and which consists solely in the fact, that men are conscious of their own desire, but are ignorant of the causes whereby that desire has been determined." -Baruch Spinoza

Originally Posted by Piddzilla
I liked it a lot of course. The Thin Red Line is one of my absolute favourite films so it's kind of hard to top that one. But, yeah, I liked it a lot.
Somehow I still find myself in love with Days of Heaven.

Originally Posted by NewDawnFades
Somehow I still find myself in love with Days of Heaven.
I love all Malick's films. I've been hesitating to name him my all time favourite director because of the small number of films he's actually made. But The New World is truly as artistic as his previous works and definitely a very fine film, so now he's very close to being my number one.

Grizzly Man (2005 - Werner Herzog)

This guy reminded me a bit of Steve Irwin and not very surprisingly they both met the same fate.

It is an incredible film. I'm at the same time fascinated with this kind of passionated people but, as Herzog says, the bears aren't our pals who think like humans do. They're predators struggling to survive in a pretty rough world and if you look eatable it doesn't matter if you're fighting for their cause. And Treadwell seems to have gotten some of his facts wrong since the Alaska grizzlies don't appear to be in any real danger. Even if I found the guy rather annoying at times it was still touching to see how he had found a place in the wild after all the trouble with drugs and stuff he obviously went through in his life. He had it coming but at the same time he probably went the way he wanted to go...

....and I want a fox.

there's a frog in my snake oil
Me and You and Everyone We Know - A strange little doggy bag of 'art installation' nervous breakdowns and child voyages into the adult world.

In other words: it's quirky. And overall i enjoyed it - which sort of surprised me, as some of it was quite shrill, and other bits fairly trite. Perhaps it helped that there was some danger and groundedness lurking amongst its wandering clouds of fluff?

I'm not old, you're just 12.
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind - (third or fourth time) one of the most original and clever films I've ever seen. Dying to see the Science of Sleep, but that will never play at a theater anywhere close to me, so I might have to catch it on video. booo.

In the Beginning...
Willow (Howard, 1988)

Outdated by now, but still very impressive (and charming!).

Good Night, and Good Luck. (Clooney, 2005)

Razor sharp. Excellent low-key performances all around, but many kudos go to David Strathairn and Clooney/Heslov for making Robert Murrow such a sturdy, haunting presence. Still a favorite of mine.

Hauru no ugoku shiro (2004 - Hayao Miyazaki)

(English title: Howl's Moving Castle)

Almost as great as Spirited Away. I love the duality theme in the film that was very present in Spirited Away as well. There's good in evil and evil in good and nothing is as simple as black or white. Great stuff, I loved it!!

The Machinist (2004 - Brad Anderson)

One of the reasons that I never loved Fight Club as much as 95% of this planet's population is the fact that it's all based on what goes on in a mentally unstable guy's head. That was the case with The Machinist as well. I think it's that theme mixed together with the thriller genre that annoys me. The film is built up almost like a conspiracy plot against Trevor Reznik, but pretty instantly you realize that the guy is nuts. So you wait for the resolution where the explanation to his insanity is given to you and you stop to contemplate over the events of the film. It's all in his head anyway...

I didn't hate it, not at all. It was okay, it's just not my kind of film. Bale was good though, but man, they must have had a doctor on the set all the time in case he would break or faint or something.