What was the last DVD you bought and why?

Tools    

Yesterday I purchased (in Montreal at the downtown HMV 2 for $30 deal-- and way too much information for what was requested) Ed Wood and 28 Days Later.

Originally Posted by Pyro Tramp
Because we're better.
I agree

and back to topic:

"NewsRadio" (complete third season)

Network (special edition)

All the President's Men (special edition)

Dog Day Afternoon (special edition)
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Walk the Line (2005)
Pride and Prejudice (2005)

AiSv Nv wa do hi ya do...
(Walk in Peace)

In Soviet America, you sue MPAA!

Just for the feature length cut of Dumplings.

Originally Posted by OG-

Just for the feature length cut of Dumplings.
I loved this movie, Dumplings was prolly the most disgusting on on the dvd too, I was surprised Takeeshi Miike's wasn't that great.

The Reaping 7/10
Transformers 8.5/10
Flight of the Living Dead 6/10
The Invisible 6/10
Return to House on Haunted Hill 1/10
Planet Terror 8/10
A Mighty Heart 7/10

Originally Posted by The_Elephant_Man
I loved this movie, Dumplings was prolly the most disgusting on on the dvd too, I was surprised Takeeshi Miike's wasn't that great.
I think the DVD is worth the price for the Dumplings' short alone. I haven't seen anything else Fruit Chan has done, but if the only sampling one could get of the three directors was from the anthology, Chan dominates. Dumplings is brutal and disturbing, without ever being as exploitive as it could have been and I can't wait to watch the feature length cut once it arrives in the mail today.

As for Miike's entry, Box. I didn't like it the first time around, in fact somewhere on these boards I got into a very, very length arguement with a new poster about it, heh, but I've seen it a few times since then and it has really grown on me. Cut, however, still dissapoints.

As for the original Three..., Pyro, I haven't been able to find it anywhere. :-\

I've seen it here. Not too keen on the way it's being marketed though.

It was
Awesome movie

It rocks too

Girlfriend wanted me to get it (Bewitched)

I've seen it here. Not too keen on the way it's being marketted though.
Wow, that is an idiotic marketing ploy. They've got no confidence in selling it as what it really is, what a joke...

ebay picks

Be interested to know how the two cuts compare.
I just watched the longer cut and I'd have to say ultimately I prefer it. The most distinguishing difference between the two are the endings. I love the ending of the short more (eating her own fetus is the ultimate rock-bottom of the pressures of an increasing demand on societal beauty), but the ending here fits because it is a slower, though it doesn't feel it, build up to it. They both kick equal ass, I think, but just that Chan was still able to sustain that haunting attack on all of your senses for the full 90 minutes makes it the more impressive of the two.

I wrote a review, though it doesn't detail the differences between the two, at my site.

The People's Republic of Clogher
Originally Posted by OG-
I haven't seen anything else Fruit Chan has done, but if the only sampling one could get of the three directors was from the anthology, Chan dominates. Dumplings is brutal and disturbing, without ever being as exploitive as it could have been and I can't wait to watch the feature length cut once it arrives in the mail today.
I don't think that Dumplings, in full length form, is that exploitative*. It's just a darned good morality play. One of those films where the sound effects add an awful lot to the atmosphere.

*Of course, maybe my sensibilities have become somewhat skewed...

Originally Posted by Tacitus
I don't think that Dumplings, in full length form, is that exploitative*. It's just a darned good morality play. One of those films where the sound effects add an awful lot to the atmosphere.

*Of course, maybe my sensibilities have become somewhat skewed...
I don't think that is either... You crazy ol'e foreigner!

What is the second ending then?
WARNING: "Dumplings Feature Length" spoilers below
Mrs. Li's husband actually visits Aunt Mei and begins to have an affair with her, as well as tasting the sweet flesh himself. The hotel girl he had been banging on the side gets pregnant, which Mrs. Li finds out about. She then pays the girl double the amount Mr. Li was paying her to have the baby (which is at that perfect 5 month mark) aborted and watches the whole thing. Her delivery of a lot of the dialogue in that scene is cold as hell and it makes her out to be obsessively crazy. She asks the doctor to keep the fetus alive because she wants a "trophy". The last shot is of her chopping it up...

As you can see it isn't as balls-out as the short's ending, which is a much faster punch to the senses, but it still ties the story together nicely.

The People's Republic of Clogher
Originally Posted by OG-
I don't think that is either... You crazy ol'e foreigner!
I was hammering home the point... You crazy young foreigner!

Any film with Ling Bai in a pair of tight pants gets my vote.

EDIT - Must watch it again now.

The last DVD i bought was 'Four Brothers.' I bought it because it was an amazing movie, and personally, one of the best I've ever seen. They all really do well playing their parts. Garrett Hedlund (The youngest brother Jack.) Is also really awesome at a certain scene near the ending