Blade Runner

→ in
Tools    

A system of cells interlinked
Originally Posted by nebbit
I think, if you meet someone who has severe schizophrenia then you know what mental illness is, sitting in a car to go to work, sometimes is a necessity, not mental illness.

Tis a necessity indeed. Regarding the schizo, what if they are sane and we are insane.... I think that is where I was going with this... It just makes me crazy!

STILL haven't had a chance to pop in BladeRunner though, and THAT is definitely making me crazy!

Originally Posted by Sedai
Tis a necessity indeed. Regarding the schizo, what if they are sane and we are insane.... I think that is where I was going with this... It just makes me crazy! !
There is sometimes a fine line between sanity and madness, in the kind of work I used to do the line was well defined, and please don't use the word Schizo, it is a put down to people suffering a terrible illness, they don't have a lot of choice, whether they have it or not.

Originally Posted by Holden Pike
The only real "accident" of it all comes in the rift between director and star during filming, that in spite of disgreeing with Ridley, Harrison Ford gives a great performance in a film that is deeper than I think he appreciated at the time (or that he can still even acknowledge today).
i havent read up on the behind the scenes story but it's not my impression that this was necessarilly an accident either. if anything, couldnt his performance perhaps have been enhanced by the fact that harrison, like deckard, failed to appreciate the deep mechanics of the [film] world?

Has any one played the pc game. the story of that is set as the film is happening . the story of the game is the blade runner you play is a replicant.

Standing in the Sunlight, Laughing
I just rewatched this the other night, first time in a long time, and I'll admit I was puzzled by the ending. It may be crystal clear after a few watchings, but there's so much other good stuff going on that you can easily forget to work out the meaning of the unicorn, in favor of thinking about all the rest. I have been gobsmacked by Rutger Hauer's performance. The monologue when he's dying is so gorgeous, but the little details he puts into the character really make that scene at the end super-poignant. I hadn't put it together before why he and Priss seem so childlike, when they have the memory implants, but I relized this time through that they'd have rejected those memories, given the circumstances. So we're watching a four year old die with the full knowledge that he's barely lived. POW!!

The intelligence that went into the making of every part of this film and the dedication of the actors to situations that are so fantastic really construct this world for us. It's awesome filmmaking.

Good boy/terrible girl
Blade Runner is by far one of the greatest movies evar. Samsonite has a good point because that movie has soo much stuff going on and is so detailed that you can get lost in just looking at the scenes. So missing the fact that Deckard is a replicant would not be that hard to do.
But anyway, I love that movie to the core, one of my top 3 for sure.

i just watched blade runner for the first time a few days ago and i wasn't that impressed with it. im a big fan of sci-fi flicks but this one seemed played out already considering the things that i have seen before it. IMO i think ghost in the shell does a better job of blurring the line between man and machine. metropolis, akira, and evangelion all have a better impact than this movie. still i watch it again just for the sake of it.

Originally Posted by redhorse
i just watched blade runner for the first time a few days ago and i wasn't that impressed with it. im a big fan of sci-fi flicks but this one seemed played out already considering the things that i have seen before it. IMO i think cost in the shell does a better job of blurring the line between man and machine. metropolis, akira, and evangelion all have a better impact than this movie. still i watch it again just for the sake of it.
OMG you are not serious

Originally Posted by nebbit
OMG you are not serious
You didn't like it either huh?

i just watched blade runner for the first time a few days ago and i wasn't that impressed with it. im a big fan of sci-fi flicks but this one seemed played out already considering the things that i have seen before it. IMO i think cost in the shell does a better job of blurring the line between man and machine. metropolis, akira, and evangelion all have a better impact than this movie. still i watch it again just for the sake of it.
Sorry, but I just can't agree. Blade Runner is so much more complex in it's philosophy than any of the shabby re-hashes you mention. GitS is a good anime, but it somehow manages to be obtuse and heavy handed at the same time. Akira and Blade Runner aren't really related, and they have a completely different theme, altogether. Evangelion is such overrated Voltron garbage, I just can't understand why it so popular. I could barely get through most of the episodes, and although it did have many deep issues running through it, as a whole, I found it to be a waste of time. Gasaraki is the mecha anime of choice, and it doesn't go the fan service route every three minutes like Evangelion or Escaflowne. That stuff is BEAT at this point...

Have you seen Blade Runner more than once? A film so complex in it's scoial and human issues can't be ingested in one viewing, or two, or three for that matter. The more one watches BR, the more the onion-like layers of the film begin to appear.

One of the best films every put to celluloid, IMO.

the camera angles just seem kind of distant at times and harrison ford looks spaced out for a good portion of the movie. maybe he drank on and off the set...i don't know. yes, blade runner asks a lot of interesting questions but i don't find them as profound as others. these are questions a inquestive child would ask and of course get a response based on either science, religion, or both.

i think akira and BR do share similiarites considering they both deal with creation and try to define existance. akira deals more with the powers of god while BR asks "god" why they exist. still akira does bring the same questions to mind when i watch it. akira points out that everyone has the power to be a creator. the powers of god can be harnest and awakened within a individual. in BR the creator is killed by a replicant because he did not have a way to extend their life. both roy batty and tetsuo have powers that are far superior to normal to the point where they kill indiscriminately. in both movies they realize as they are dying what it was to be truely alive. now to me this suggest that either the power of life is just to much for some or without a creator to guide you in the right direction you are doomed from the start.

as for evangelion, that movie is more a mind f*** than BR. if you skip the last 2 eps of EVA and just go straight to the movie it's amazing. ghost in the shell is just more indepth and throws a lot more info for your brain to munch on. BR seems to leave things open ended which is fine but again these questions are not new. a little more dive into a replicants mind would have been nice.

Originally Posted by pyro tramp
Is redhorse darkhorse's angry cousin?
the red horseman is from revelations and brings war to the people. so....yeah i guess they could be cousins.

the camera angles just seem kind of distant at times and harrison ford looks spaced out for a good portion of the movie. maybe he drank on and off the set...i don't know. yes, blade runner asks a lot of interesting questions but i don't find them as profound as others. these are questions a inquestive child would ask and of course get a response based on either science, religion, or both.

i think akira and BR do share similiarites considering they both deal with creation and try to define existance. akira deals more with the powers of god while BR asks "god" why they exist. still akira does bring the same questions to mind when i watch it. akira points out that everyone has the power to be a creator. the powers of god can be harnest and awakened within a individual. in BR the creator is killed by a replicant because he did not have a way to extend their life. both roy batty and tetsuo have powers that are far superior to normal to the point where they kill indiscriminately. in both movies they realize as they are dying what it was to be truely alive. now to me this suggest that either the power of life is just to much for some or without a creator to guide you in the right direction you are doomed from the start.

as for evangelion, that movie is more a mind f*** than BR. if you skip the last 2 eps of EVA and just go straight to the movie it's amazing. ghost in the shell is just more indepth and throws a lot more info for your brain to munch on. BR seems to leave things open ended which is fine but again these questions are not new. a little more dive into a replicants mind would have been nice.

the red horseman is from revelations and brings war to the people. so....yeah i guess they could be cousins.
Ha! man, I am so glad you mentioned those last Evangelion episodes, as they were such tripe. I didn't give the movie a go because I had such mixed feelings about the series, and, as I mentioned earlier, there was just way too much fan service in that show. I hated the music too. As for Akira, interesting points, but I still must state that Akira spends far too much time attempting to make the viewer experience tetsuo's head trip (actually, the sections I enjoy the most from the film, so it isn't a bad thing) rather than focus on the more profound aspects of the story/philosophy. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE Akira, and watch it quite a bit, as well, but the human connection is somewhat lost in the bizzare shuffle. The character arcs in Akira are also VERY hackneyed, and I feel this is one of the reasons many of the people who are turned off by Akira, are turned off.

Of course, I can't sit here and go on about clear character arc and narrative while defending Blade Runner, because it suffers a bit in that department, as well, but much less than something like Akira or GitS, the latter film having very little in the form of actual character development. Still, most of the characters in BR DO have clear arcs, and they get somewhere in their journies. This includes side players like Gaff and more important players like Rachel, as well.

As for the camera work in BR, the distance is used perfectly throughout the first portion of the film, only to resort to extreme angle and closeup in the latter half as the narrative actually gets moving. Interestingly, one of the scenes that was pulled from the test run was pulled because it was some close-up work that some of the crew felt exposed too much of the Batty character, too early. I will have to agree that Ridley et al. went ever so slightly overboard with this lens work, but I bet dollars to beans that these cats were overwhelmed by the amazing production design that was going on around them, and wanted to capture as much of it as possible in every shot. Also, Ridley is an old sketch guy, so I think his frames are almost always design driven, and rarely driven by the actors he can't seem to get along with. Comparing Alien and Aliens is a GREAT way to explore some of the concepts that make Ridley tick. Both are great films, but one is more character driven, while the other is all about the mis en scene and over all atmosphere...

Deckard looked spaced out? maybe it was a flaw in his circuitry...

Regardless, GREAT post, and I hope you stick around for more!

I really wanted to like this film, but I just couldn't get into it. I usually try watching it every few years, but most of the time I just start looking out the window or finding other things to do and just walk away from it. Maybe it's just beyond me, I dunno. I like the look of it visually, but on the whole it just seems overrated to me.

Originally Posted by Ford
Maybe it's just beyond me, I dunno?
Nope, that's it exactly, you've figured it out; it is just beyond you.

But that's cool. And now you know for sure.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

This movie is full of bologne. If you watch it you go to hell.
The individual words are jumbled then the spaces are removed. PM the answer to me. First one with the answer wins.

Originally Posted by PimpDaShizzle V2.0
This movie is full of bologne. If you watch it you go to hell.

My bologna has a first name, it's I-M-P-L-A-N-T-E-D. My bologna has a second name, it's M-E-M-O-R-I-E-S. Oh I love to dream them everyday, and if you ask my why I'll say, "'cause they don't want me to think I'm a robot, and that's why our motto is 'more human than human'."