Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

The Swimmer (1968) -

I had this film on my radar for quite a while as I heard nothing but great things about it. Having finally watched it, it lived up to my expectations as, from the first moment of the fluid camera work and the juxtaposition of Lancaster's burly demeanor and his gentle curiosity as he explored the woods, I was hooked. The subtle undercurrent of dread grabbed me right away and refused to let up. The first act, for instance, matched Ned's emotional journey very well. Though everything about it seemed serene at first glance, something felt off the more I thought about it. The opening credit music felt somewhat melancholy, the energetic swells of the soundtrack when Ned jumped into the first pool hinted that he had already reached his emotional climax, and the perplexed reaction Ned's friends had towards his plan suggested they knew troubling things about his past which Ned himself seemed to be in denial of. Since the various pools he frequented throughout the day provided us with more insight towards his prior mistakes, it's as if a dark cloud constantly loomed over him. Considering how every pool added to his disillusionment and that he had to descend to get to them (he started out at the top of the valley), the film became an allegory about the dark side of the American dream. The further he moved down the valley, the more his pristine dropped until he got to a point where he no longer fit into society. Like many other people of his social status, finding success means you may become absorbed in egotistical and material shallowness in the process. Though you may be living a dream at one point, it can quickly turn into a nightmare once you give into unethical and self-destructive urges. This became clearer for Ned the further he descended. Given the casting of Burt Lancaster (an actor who was famous for his looks), the film also doubles as a critique of masculinity. Ned's tough guy demeanor seems to represent masculinity or manliness (in addition to how he spends practically the entire film in his swim trunks), but the more you learn about his past, the more pathetic he seems and the clearer it becomes that his rough outer appearance is used as an attempt to mask his flaws. The final scene could be criticised as being too literal, but I think the culmination to the film was inevitable and the only true ending it could've had. Topped with some gorgeous nature photography and cross-dissolves, this film was right up my alley and I definitely look forward to revisiting it at some point.

Has Showgirls reputation improved over the years? I feel like more people appreciate it now than when I first started posting on RT in 2004. I watched it for the first time this week, it's ridiculous but I enjoyed it. And longer than I would have expected, it's like a rags to riches tit flick.
Well, I haven't seen it, but according to Wiki it has been re-evaluated by some since its release: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Show..._re-evaluation

Also, I remember my parents "boycotting" a local theater that played it at the time because they were big prudes...

Well, I haven't seen it, but according to Wiki it has been re-evaluated by some since its release: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Show..._re-evaluation

Also, I remember my parents "boycotting" a local theater that played it at the time because they were big prudes...

Satire is a tricky business. Make too close an approximation of a bad movie and what have you made but a bad movie?

GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY VOL. 3 2023 James Gunn

2h 30m | Action | Adventure | Comedy | Sci-Fi
Writer: Jim Starlin, Stan Lee
Cast: Chris Pratt, Zoe Saldaña, Dave Bautista, Karen Gillan, Vin Diesel, Bradley Cooper, Sylvester Stallone

..maybe I wanted a Zarg-Nut!
It’s too late, they’re all gone..

The trap isn't a trap if you know the trap is trying to trap you, it's a face off.

The main storyline is simple but effective; kick a5s, save the children, save the animals..Word! The flashbacks we're well done, pretty intense and suspenseful. Excellent close quarters fight choreography near the end! And as expected they came with another very enjoyable Awesome Mixtape.

- (77/100)

Has Showgirls reputation improved over the years? I feel like more people appreciate it now than when I first started posting on RT in 2004. I watched it for the first time this week, it's ridiculous but I enjoyed it. And longer than I would have expected, it's like a rags to riches tit flick.
Seen it a few times. I’ve always liked this movie.

By Tom Beauvais - Movieposter.com, Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=5714787

Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid - (1969)

There's a moment in Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid that exemplifies the difference between these outlaws and many of the other cinematic portrayals of bank robbers on the run. Bolivian bandits have this time robbed them, and when the two have these unapologetic thieves at gunpoint, Cassidy (Paul Newman) nervously explains to the Sundance Kid (Robert Redford) that he's never shot or killed a person in his life. To Cassidy it's all excitement and games - he's polite, jovial and often jokes around. When a bank changes to a system that makes it harder to rob, he wonders aloud why they'd do that and spoil all the fun. It's why we get a "Raindrops are Falling on My Head" segment with Newman riding around with Etta Place (Katharine Ross) on a bicycle, later riding alone and doing stunts. When serious heat emerges, and Cassidy along with the rougher Kid are outmatched, their pursuit plays out in one of the most extended chase sequences in film history - including the famous Redford "I can't swim!" moment when the two jump from a cliff face into a raging river. Their comedic bumbling in Bolivia, and unhappy arrival in that Third World country, tops off a film with two of the most charming and charismatic villains you'll ever see on celluloid. An essence is captured that connects with the audience in myriad ways - we love them, and yearn for them to escape. The robbers, in this film, are the good guys.

8/10
One of my fave movies. Seen it a million times.

That title makes me think it's a Microsoft production.

"From the studio that brought you Minesweeper ..."

Clerks II (2006)

I enjoyed the original Clerks, but I still prefer this one with the extended character cast. I have seen people here post generally favorable reviews of Clerks 3, but I still have serious doubts about that one being as good as the first two (which makes me reluctant to see it).

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
Profound Desire of the Gods - 6/10

Could have been better. Too much time spent on bullshit. And another religious ceremony, but of course the scene has to be the length of a Grateful Dead concert, where they jam for twenty minutes on the same two chords. Any competent director could have made a sharper satire. I'd even change the ending a bit.. Right after the "FIVE YEARS LATER" caption, I'd have that old man busking his bamboo guitar singing about coca-cola, and their new god, for the billboards are taller than the previous god. And then to show rampant poverty thanks to "progress", have a guy two seconds (and two steps) later on the street dying. "Looks like he needs a Coca-Cola" despite the scientist thinking aloud that any liquid would save his life, "But Coca-Cola saved his life" and the reinforcement of "God" and commerce merge (maybe with Pepsi, since incest is a huge theme of the movie).

Clerks II (2006)

I enjoyed the original Clerks, but I still prefer this one with the extended character cast. I have seen people here post generally favorable reviews of Clerks 3, but I still have serious doubts about that one being as good as the first two (which makes me reluctant to see it).
As much as I love the first two Clerks movie, 3 is pretty bad.

And I refuse to believe that Owen Wilson Paint movie is real.

Clerks II (2006)

I preferred the second one to the first one too, but I thought the third one was the best.

Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid - (1969)

There's a moment in Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid that exemplifies the difference between these outlaws and many of the other cinematic portrayals of bank robbers on the run. Bolivian bandits have this time robbed them, and when the two have these unapologetic thieves at gunpoint, Cassidy (Paul Newman) nervously explains to the Sundance Kid (Robert Redford) that he's never shot or killed a person in his life. To Cassidy it's all excitement and games - he's polite, jovial and often jokes around. When a bank changes to a system that makes it harder to rob, he wonders aloud why they'd do that and spoil all the fun. It's why we get a "Raindrops are Falling on My Head" segment with Newman riding around with Etta Place (Katharine Ross) on a bicycle, later riding alone and doing stunts. When serious heat emerges, and Cassidy along with the rougher Kid are outmatched, their pursuit plays out in one of the most extended chase sequences in film history - including the famous Redford "I can't swim!" moment when the two jump from a cliff face into a raging river. Their comedic bumbling in Bolivia, and unhappy arrival in that Third World country, tops off a film with two of the most charming and charismatic villains you'll ever see on celluloid. An essence is captured that connects with the audience in myriad ways - we love them, and yearn for them to escape. The robbers, in this film, are the good guys.

8/10
I agree with your rating. Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid was an ideal vehicle for Newman & Redford, whose perfect pairing reached it’s ultimate in The Sting 4 years later. The story was fresh, absorbing and unique in the western movie style. The comic undertone kept the film from being too serious. There was a nice love story between the Katherine Ross and Redford characters, which adds a nice dimension. I’ve always felt the song “Raindrops Keep Falling on My Head” --although cute and catchy-- did not fit the era of the movie, despite its winning Burt Bacharach an Oscar for Best Original Song. Good song, but it felt incongruous in that setting. BCSD was a really great film for its day. I actually watched it again the other night, and it still held up.

You’re Killing Me, 2023

Coming from a working-class home, Eden (McKaley Miller) is determined to get a recommendation from a local senator to boost her college acceptance odds. Her plan involves crashing a house party being thrown by the senator’s son, Schroder (Brice Heller), and somehow convincing him to put in a good word for her. But while trying to help a drunk friend, Zara (Keyara Milliner), escape the clutches of Schroder’s good friend Gooch (Wil Deusner), Eden stumbles on something that connects Schroder and Gooch with the disappearance of a local girl. Soon it’s a game of cat and mouse between Eden and Schroder, and Schroder has the home court advantage.

Grating characters and a litany of terrible choices mean that this one doesn’t even pass the low bar of a late night trashy thriller.

Full review

Dark Angel (1990) (Worldwide)
and I Come In Peace (U.S.A.)

I thought maybe this was based on a comic book but apparently not. This movie has everything a kid in the 1990's would enjoy, and I probably would have liked this one a lot back then. Being an adult now its pretty charming and gives a sense of nostalgia but doesnt quite do it for an action movie. It is rated R but should be rated PG-13. Fans of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles would like this.

5/10

I forgot the opening line.

By http://www.movieposterdb.com/poster/f5b1bdfb, Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=26989066

The Swimming Pool (La Piscine) - (1969)

Jean-Paul Leroy (Alain Delon) and Marianne (Romy Schneider) are enjoying some time off away from home - lazing by a friend's swimming pool while they're away, and maintaining a very French level of eroticism - with two people as good looking as they are, it's almost mandatory. Intruding into this love nest is one of Marianne's old flames, Harry Lannier (Maurice Ronet) who pops in with daughter Penelope (Jane Birkin), who is in her teens. Jealousy slowly begins to gain the upper hand during their time together, and when secrets begin to spill the stage is set for catastrophe. This film is the very definition of a slow burn, but it's psychological aspects are brilliantly well handled by Le Samouraï Delon, and there's always something simmering under the surface in each character's mind. In fact, most of the action takes place in the minds of our characters, and Jacques Deray knows how to get all of the performers to really show that to us, and take us on this journey. Really good film - but don't see it if you struggle with movies that are a little slow-paced.

7.5/10

By May be found at the following website: AllMovieReplicas.com, Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=20966967

The Others - (2001)

It's amazing, but knowing the secret twist to The Others doesn't take away any of it's atmospheric chills (it's pretty chilling to me that it's already been over 20 years since it came out.) It might even be a bit better when you know what's what. Nicole sells her tightly-wound, near-hysterical mother of two otherworldly pale kids, Nicholas (James Bentley) and Anne (Alakina Mann) really effectively. Meanwhile, the help (Fionnula Flanagan, Eric Sykes and Elaine Cassidy) know more than they're letting on in a house that seems to be full of bustling ghosts and strange occurrences. When Charles Stewart (Christopher Eccleston) returns from a war long over, and then soon leaves "back to the front" you know that all's not well. It all depends on perspective in this effectively spooky, foggy and gothic spook-fest.

7/10

By Sony Pictures Releasing - Sony Publicity, Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=73639597

No Hard Feelings - (2023)

No Hard Feelings was really funny in patches - which just goes to show that it's a little uneven, and Jennifer Lawrence's character a little too distasteful at times. Just change each character's sex and you'd have an all-out horror movie on your hands here. Still, those comedic moments that hit were great - and seeing Matthew Broderick (who has one of the film's best lines) made me very, very happy.

6/10

By impawards, Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=9841695

Captain Corelli's Mandolin - (2001)

Nice photography - those Greek islands sure do look a treat. Other than that, nearly every single part in Captain Corelli's Mandolin feels somewhat miscast, and the screenplay obviously does the book no favours. Political issues became fraught with the production team also, muddying the water even more. Nonetheless, I respect the film for paying tribute to the 1943 Massacre of the Acqui Division and the earthquake of 1953, which appears to have been brought forward a year or two. Penélope Cruz was nominated for a Razzie for her performance - you can see that she's checked out, and knows things aren't working. There's much that's good and bad in this - but it's certainly watchable.

6/10

Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=11074301

Diabolically Yours (Diaboliquement vôtre) - (1967)

Diabolically Yours starts like a wacky comedy, and ends like a serious Hitchcock thriller - writer/director Julien Duvivier seems to have wanted the film to be both, but the narrative is outworn and I've seen every twist and turn done so much better in so many other films. Lacking in originality, and not landing many of it's punches, it just scrapes along on the back of Alain Delon's charisma and Senta Berger's impossibly hot and steamy sexuality. Watching them is enjoyable at times, but there's a distinct lack of satisfaction in how this film plays out. It doesn't know what it wants to be, and is nowhere near as clever as it thinks it is.

5/10

Latest Review : Le Circle Rouge (1970)

Make a better place

I talked to a few of my pals who thought this movie was stupid/weird but i guess they don´t know what "grindhouse" actually is like.

4 of 5 broken skulls!

Salute to you

Criminally underrated IMO