The MoFo Top 100 of the 2010s Countdown

→ in
Tools    

The truth is in here
I don't need to add much more since my review was linked, but Once Upon A Time In Hollywood is my third favorite Tarantino film and the best one of his from this decade. I didn't expect it to make it that high (Nor be included to begin with) and it wasn't on my list, but it seems like here it actually gets the appreciation it deserves.

I'm weary of Tarantino and so I haven't seen Once Upon a Time in Hollywood. I will slog my through his book because it was a gift but I'm not terribly impressed so far.

Once Upon A Time... In Hollywood had its moments and I'm not surprised to see it on the list but it never even made my long list.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Once Upon a Time in Hollywood is the last film I watched at the cinema. Yes, I haven't been to the movies since 2019! I was surprised to see some people leaving, as I had thought that Tarantino was a household name and would bring a lot of fans. I've been to some bad movies and I never saw people leaving the cinema and yet they did on Once Upon a Time in Hollywood.

Not that I would ever leave the cinema under any circumstances, but I still could say I was far from leaving. I enjoyed the film immensely and it was my favorite Tarantino since Inglorious Basterds.

And yes, in a way, Hollywood was a reiteration of Inglourious Basterds. But it had excellent Buddy moments and tension building ripped off from Once Upon a Time in the West. Bemoaningly, it did not feature Michael Fassbender talking about Berg films. Actually, it didn't feature Michael Fassbender at all - the only unforgivable fault of the film.

I know that nowadays every Tarantino film is 'controversial' (even though Tarantino doesn't even try to make them controversial) because he's playing with violence blah blah blah, but I thought the ending was a higher level of awesomeness. It was a smart decision on my part to not read anything about the film before watching it, so the ending was a huge surprise for me.

One of Tarantino's best. Obviously, way too high on the list but I'm not even mad. (Okay, a little bit.)
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

...I've wanted to watch the original [Blade Runner] again first but not the Director's Cut or the Final Cut. I want to see the one I saw in the theater way back when. The one that has the voice-over that makes it feel like a Sci-Fi Noir film. Don't care if Ford or Scott hated the voice-over. That's how I remember and love it. But, it's near impossible to get or watch it. I've seen it available in some places where they have something like 4 or 5 discs on the set, including the original theatrical release. I hate it when they don't give you a choice...
I'm a fan of the original Blade Runner but only the theatrical voice over cut. You're right it's not easy to find by itself, I had to buy the deluxe 5 disc set with all the BR cuts just so I could watch the original theatrical version.

Actor stats

Scarlett Johansson, Leonardo DiCaprio

Jessica Chastain, Chris Evans

Jeremy Renner, Oscar Isaac, Samuel L. Jackson, Mark Ruffalo, Shea Whigham, Sebastian Stan, Domhnall Gleeson

Fun fact: This thread currently has the 4th highest number of replies for any MoFo countdown on this forum. It will likely finish in second place once everything wraps up.

Good God that is high! Once Upon a Time in Hollywood is mid tier Tarantino for me and the only one from his filmography to make my list. I really feel the length of this movie in the middle but it’s otherwise great. “Don’t cry in front of the Mexicans” always makes me laugh.

Welcome to the human race...
Once Upon a Time...in Hollywood was my #5. As much as Tarantino has talked up films like Rio Bravo and Dazed and Confused as "hang-out" movies that can be thrown on less for following their plots than simply enjoying the company of their characters, none of his own films have ever quite fit that bill until this one and its unbeatable on-screen pairing of DiCaprio and Pitt in what might well be the best performances of either man's career both alone and together (to say nothing of Robbie existing on the periphery in a way that allows her performance of Sharon Tate to simply be without resorting to biopic convention despite initial fears as to how the rumoured "Tarantino Manson movie" would turn out). As it is, it may well turn out to be one of his best films, one's that as much about the passage of time and the old adapting to the new as Jackie Brown but in a way that's less overtly criminal and violent (though not by much).

...in Hollywood is very good. It's not great. It's not the additional (final?) masterpiece I've been waiting for since Inglorious Basterds knocked my socks off and convinced me Tarantino still had a lot to show us. But it is better than Django Unchained and The Hateful Eight, so I still found it reassuring and I hope it presages an even better effort next time out.

The trick is not minding
Seen OUATIH a few years ago, and decided it is QT’s best film since Basterds. Much better film than Django or Hateful 8. Didn’t make my list , however.

I really loved Once Upon a Time in Hollywood. Probably Top 3 Tarantino. Loved the way that he uses this "fairy tale" framing to both celebrate and criticize old Hollywood, while subverting his own tropes. Brad Pitt is effortlessly cool and Leonardo DiCaprio is as good as he's ever been (the moment where he finally nails the scene is one of my favorite Tarantino scenes). I had it under strong consideration, but ultimately left it off my list.

Here's where I'm at, including the chances for the rest of my list...

Seen: 71/94

My ballot:  

I was enjoying "Once Upon a time in Hollywood" until Tarantino went all "Tarantino" with that cartoon ending. Mid tier for myself. I've mentioned a couple of times before about my four "mockumentaries" that have zero shot to make it.

"I, Tonya" was my #6. A funny parody, that blends some factoids within, about that wacky life of Tonya Harding. Allison Janney is perfectly cast as her sadistically demanding mother.

Tyrannical dictator Joseph Stalin dies in 1953. What follows is a black comedy, "Keystone Kops" type romp into the power struggle to fill his shoes. #10 off my ballot.

The life and times of Dick Chaney, in all his glory. A colorful fun romp through this manipulating icon of American politics, wonderfully played by Christian Bale. #11 off my ballot.

My favorite Hugh Jackman role. Superintendent of a Long Island school district sounds like something out of a movie, but the reality is that this story took place in 2004, years before one of his own students would write HBO's Emmy-nominated film Bad Education. My #24.

My ballot:  

Never heard of : 29 / 94
Seen: 42 / 94
1 ptrs: 4

I have Once Upon a Time in Hollywood on my list. Tarantino's best since...Jackie Brown? Pulp Fiction? Maybe!

3. The Act of Killing (2012)
4. Holy Motors (2012)
6. Shoplifters (2018)
8. Under the Skin (2014)
9. Inside Llewyn Davis (2013)
11. The Master (2012)
12. Joker (2019)
13. The Tree of Life (2011)
14. The Turin Horse (2011)
16. The Wolf of Wall Street (2013)
17. Birdman (2014)
18. What We Do in the Shadows (2014)
19. It's Such a Beautiful Day (2012)
21. Once Upon a Time in Hollywood (2019)
22. Moonlight (2016)
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."