The MoFo Top 100 of the 2010s Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Aaaannnnddddd ...... that's my ballot done and dusted as Blade Runner 2049 was my #8 and will be the last of mine to make an appearance.

Faildictions  

Blade Runner 2049....meh, I didn't care for it and I don't think there was a need to make it. The only good thing about it was people finally stopped fixating on the idea that Deckard was a replicant

Blade Runner 2049 is pretty good, but I found myself more impressed by the smaller dynamics of certain characters than the main plot itself. I think where I was stuck was mainly being unable to discern the shift where
WARNING: spoilers below
K was willing to retire the replicant child and when he had a change of heart and decided to help Deckard and the child. His character arc felt a bit off and could've used some more work to show what changed him or what was changing his goals along the way.
I also felt the pacing could be a bit sluggish from time to time. On the other hand though, I loved how the film added more dimensions to the "what it means to be human" theme that the original film had. K's and Joi's scenes together were the clear standouts since the sense of artificiality ran through their relationship quite well, yet neither of them seemed bothered by it. Also, Gosling isn't my favorite actor since he's like Robert Downey Jr. and Tom Hanks in the sense that his persona only works for a very specific type of character, but I think his usual blankness or aloofness worked well for the film since it matched that of the character he played. Also, as I expected, the cinematography looked excellent. Anyways, it didn't make my ballot and I prefer the original (even though it isn't a great for me either), but I'm still glad it made this list, Number 8 seems a bit high though.

Blade Runner 2049....meh, I didn't care for it and I don't think there was a need to make it. The only good thing about it was people finally stopped fixating on the idea that Deckard was a replicant
To be fair, Ridley Scott didn't work on the sequel at all, so I'm not so sure that shuts down the theory.

Victim of The Night
I've seen Blade Runner 2049 and did enjoy it quite a bit. I think part of that was just the relief that it wasn't terrible, LOL. Interesting to see it place so high.
I largely felt the bolded part of what you did. It wasn't terrible and I was relieved but once I realized it wasn't going to be terrible then I ended up feeling very let down versus my burgeoning hope that it might actually be good (I never had any illusions it could match the original film). The last maybe 15 minutes of the movie I likely would call terrible but up til then I considered it a reasonably acceptable entry to follow up the still vastly superior original. But then it dropped the ball.

Victim of The Night
I want to give this post three thumbs up.

I haven't seen Tree of Life, and given what I've heard about it over the years, it doesn't sound like anything I'd like. Her really surprised me when I saw it for the 11th HoF, but it wasn't on my list.

I originally didn't want to go see Blade Runner 2049, because the runtime was too long, and I didn't think the original needed a sequel. I had rewatched the first Blade Runner (which I loved) just days before as well, so I was really setting 2049 up for failure. I went to the theatre anyway, and was blown away. It was #7 on my list.

Seen: 63/93

My List: 13
01. Dredd (2012) - #42
03. The Raid (2011) - #100
04. John Wick (2014) - #48
05. Guardians of the Galaxy (2014) - #39
06. The Hunt (2012) - #57
07. Blade Runner 2049 (2017) - #8
08. Predestination (2014) - DNP #110
09. Edge of Tomorrow (2014) - #68
10. The Raid 2 (2014) - #75
13. I, Daniel Blake (2016) - DNP #121
14. The Martian (2015) - #82
15. Hereditary (2018) - #96
16. Get Out (2017) - #19
18. What We Do in the Shadows (2014) - #56
20. Cabin in the Woods (2011) - #88
25. Mandy (2018) - DNP #112

I watched Her and Blade Runner 2049. Actually I really liked them both, especially Her, but I didn't think them in my ballot I don't know why. As I remember the second part of Her was kind of different what I expected from the movie and this affected my feelings when the movie finished. And I watched the first movie of Blade Runner after the second one and although I like the second one, this affected the joy really much I guess.

Blade Runner 2049 was fine, but like plenty of others, apparently, it couldn't hold a candle to the original for me.

To be fair, Ridley Scott didn't work on the sequel at all, so I'm not so sure that shuts down the theory.
Personally I never cared what Ridley Scott said about Deckard. I cared about what I seen in the original Blade Runner. Love the original BR btw!

Welcome to the human race...
Blade Runner 2049 was my #16. In trying to distinguish itself from its predecessor and add a whole new creative voice to the mix, the end result is considerably different to Blade Runner for better or worse. Much of that is down to how its own narrative is effectively a streamlined version that compromises the ambiguity of the original (which was one of its greatest strengths) for the sake of a straightforward detective story that also doubled as an artificial human's search for self-actualisation, playing into legacy-sequel familiarity (wow, Edward James Olmos!) and black-and-white conflicts (Luv is a vicious heavy who lacks the sheer interiority of a Roy or even a Zhora) to such an effect that I had to move it down the ranking a bit. At the same time, it's still a valiant effort to expand upon the richly-realised world of Blade Runner even if it is ultimately by showing how it constricts no matter how many varied locations its synthetic protagonist visits outside of the once-iconic Los Angeles hub. A world like that was only ever going to get worse, but that only makes the moments in which there are moments of grace resonate all the more.

Society ennobler, last seen in Medici's Florence
10. The Tree of Life (2011) (years ago seen 30 min, then left)
9. Her (2013) (years ago seen 20 min, then left. This morning started again, 40 min reached, promise to try it to the end)
8. Blade Runner 2049 (2017) (two years ago managed to see the whole movie)

Arrival and Shutter Island both use the same piece of music.

Anyone know of any similar connections within the countdown (besides The Avengers theme)?

Blade Runner 2049 was a wonderful surprise. Like many fans of the original (it's high up on my all-time list) I was expecting the worst or even something average. Nope what I think we got was a great film that sure it isn't the original but did a pretty good job for a sequel what 35 years or so later. A later cut from my list and would be top 50 of the decade.
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

Arrival and Shutter Island both use the same piece of music.

Anyone know of any similar connections within the countdown (besides The Avengers theme)?

I will also mention that this came very close with Room (#97) and Moneyball (#104).

A system of cells interlinked

As the site's clear Blade Runner fanboy, you all may have guessed I had the 2017 sequel as my #1. As I previously mentioned, I think it really just belongs in the Top 5, or maybe even Top 10 on my list, but I wanted to push it as high as possible with the full 25 points I was able to assign.

Like many, I was incredibly leery when I first heard this was being made. At first, I though of it as sacrilege, and that the original was something that should just be left alone on its pedestal. After seeing Arrival, and finding out Villeneuve was taking the reins on the Blade Runner sequel, I begin to nurture a tiny flame of hope that it perhaps wouldn't be terrible. I recall going to the theater with trepidation on my birthday in 2017. Of course, i was blown away, as it was better than I had ever hoped. No, it will never surpass the original, but aside from some slight pacing issues in the second act, I don't think it could be much better.

It can never top the original, as Villeneuve's sort of brutalist take on the material is missing the gritty, noirish tone of Scott's original masterpiece, but I love the way he expands on the universe, while clearly having a tremendous reverence for the material. The players are all great, it's shot beautifully, and Zimmer's score is excellent. I also want to mention one of the transitions in the film, with the sparks from the campfire morphing into the city lights, which is one of my favorites in any film ever.

I am thrilled it made Top 10 on the countdown! I was hoping for a Top 25, and seeing it up this high puts a big smile on my face. Well done MoFo!

This is the first appearance for Blade Runner 2049 on a MoFo List.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra