The MoFo Top 100 of the 2010s Countdown

→ in
Tools    

I forgot the opening line.
Now here's a couple of films I agree on being this high...

22. Inside Llewyn Davis - One of my favourite films of all time, and one of the Coen Bros' greatest - although it's hard compiling a "5 best" list from these filmmaker's films, Inside Llewyin Davis will always be in it. For me, everything in it works to absolute perfection. The screenplay is inspired, the Oscar-nominated cinematography is perfect and helps to define the film, Oscar Isaac walks a tightrope, always in danger of alienating the audience, but always winning our sympathy despite the fact he's an absolute douchebag, the songs and the way they're performed are superb and I've actually listened to them a lot - with the masterful direction of the Coen Bros I find myself watching a film about myself in many ways, with many eerie coincidences that reflect my own life. Great films sometimes manage to do that. The tragedy of Davis, his partner dead and gone - leaving him a bitter, acerbic man always willing to stick a knife in and constantly mooching off of others, seems to have an illness ahead of his time. The kind of cynicism that has shriveled his heart to nothing, whereupon there's nothing inside of Llewyn Davis except the echoes of pain that come from his soul, which only find an outlet through his music. Man, I love this film. For me, it's perfect - every scene measured, every step filled with meaningful pain, wrapped in the magical aura of the beatnik era with Bob Dylan lurking in the shadows. An absolute masterpiece. It was my #3.

21. Birdman or (The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance) - This is probably the best film not on my list. How did it not make it? I'm not sure. The sheer number of films I love from this decade just squeezed it out. Great to watch, surreal, funny, meaningful and the film that really took Alejandro G. Iñárritu to the top of the mountain (watch his Bardo: False Chronicle of a Handful of Truths - not as good as this, but similar in many ways and still a freaky, wild movie.) I loved how everything in this film felt so new - the unusual score and the way it was conveyed, the way it slips in and out of reality - so much we start to question what reality is, and the cinematography which dazzles with some spectacular shots. It's a search for meaning through seriousness in a world that insists instead on comedy - God has a wicked sense of humour. Michael Keaton is great in this - I was behind every other actor aside from Eddie Redmayne in the Oscar race, and guess who won. I wish Keaton had of nabbed that Oscar. Anyway, somehow this still wasn't enough to make my 25 - but if my ballot stretched to 30 it would be a lock. Love Birdman.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Seen 72/80

Films on my radar : 3
Films I've never even heard about : 5

Films from my list : 9

#21 - My #3 - Inside Llewyn Davis (2013)
#25 - My #20 - Portrait of a Lady on Fire (2019)
#41 - My #16 - Melancholia (2011)
#54 - My #11 - Under the Skin (2013)
#60 - My #4 - Joker (2019)
#64 - My #8 - Manchester by the Sea (2016)
#71 - My #12 - Ida (2013)
#93 - My #15 - It Follows (2014)
#96 - My #1 - Hereditary (2018)

Latest Review : Le Circle Rouge (1970)

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I watched Inside Llewyn Davis for this countdown, and I liked the music more than the movie itself. The movie was interesting, but it's another Coen's movie that I've seen where I still don't "get" their humor.

I saw Birdman a few years ago, but while I remembered liking the movie, I only remembered bits and pieces of it, so I rewatched it for this countdown. I think I may have liked it more the first time, because I only thought it was okay this time. But I loved Michael Keaton in it, and the parallels of his career to his character's career.

OK, I'll take a shot at the remaining twenty. I feel really strong about fifteen of them. Much less so about the rest.

Alphabetically...

Arrival
Blade Runner 2049
The Conjuring
Drive
Get Out
Grand Budapest Hotel
The Hateful Eight
Her
Inherent Vice
La La Land
Lady Bird
Thr Lobster
Mad Max: Fury Road
The Master
Once Upon a Time in Hollywood
Parasite
The Social Network
The Tree of Life
Whiplash
The Wolf of Wall Street

As for the two hints, I'll go with La La Land and The Master.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

I watched Ex Machina. Good movie, but it wouldn't have made my ballot.
Countdown Rectification #3

Ex Machina (Alex Garland, 2014)

I think the best word I can come up with to describe this film is "interesting." The concept is interesting. The look of the film is interesting. The performances are interesting. The way the story unfolds - while not especially surprising - is interesting. I never felt bored, frustrated, or annoyed by any of it. And I would go so far as to say that I enjoyed it.

However, I didn't love anything about it. It is too deeply Sci-Fi for my tastes. I always felt a little detached from it and it never triggered the sort of emotions that would make me want to come back to it. And while I acknowledge that the shortcomings here are with me and not the film, the fact remains that this is not something that will ever be a favorite and I would not have voted for it had I seen before the deadline.

Love the Coens but have yet to see Inside Llewyn Davis. Plan to fix that, though. But no vote.

Birdman is one I really loved but there were others that I just loved more so I made an early cut on it. Glad to see it here.

My List so far:
#2. Moonrise Kingdom #37
#4. Silver Linings Playbook #24
#5. Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri #44
#6. True Grit #40
#10. Hell or High Water #73
#11. Zero Dark Thirty #58
#15. Edge of Tomorrow #68
#24. Gone Girl #65

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
I feel like this is the least predictable top 20 of all the lists we have done. Usually we know what's coming at this point.

I'll guess

Parasite
Phantom Thread
Mad Max Fury Road
Blade Runner 2049
The Tree of Life
The Grand Budapest Hotel
Whiplash
The Social Network
The Master
The Wolf of Wall Street
It's Such A Beautiful Day
La La Land
Get Out
Arrival
Drive
Her
Your Name
12 Years A Slave
+ 1 horror film. I was thinking The Babadook or A Quiet Place but Holden is probably right with The Conjuring

OK, I'll take a shot at the remaining twenty. I feel really strong about fifteen of them. Much less so about the rest.

Alphabetically...

Arrival
Blade Runner 2049
The Conjuring
Drive
Get Out
Grand Budapest Hotel
The Hateful Eight
Her
Inherent Vice
La La Land
Lady Bird
Thr Lobster
Mad Max: Fury Road
The Master
Parasite
The Social Network
The Tree of Life
Whiplash
The Wolf of Wall Street

As for the two hints, I'll go with La La Land and The Master.

I feel like we're only getting two PTAs, but I was under the impression that The Phantom Thread was generally received as his best of the decade (and some say his best).
I think 12 Years a Slave still makes an appearance. Which means if I were to guess which one gets cut... The Conjuring?
IDK. I know some people here really love that movie.

Maybe The Lobster misses. I could see that happening. Yeah, Drive, The Lobster, and The Conjuring are the ones that seem the most likely to me to miss from that list, but I think Drive does make it.

I think Annihilation might still sneak in there, though when Ex Machina came up, a good number of the people who post who were in the more likely to vote for Annihilation said they broke towards Ex Machina.

There's also a chance there's another MCU movie coming, though I'd prefer not to think about it.

Society ennobler, last seen in Medici's Florence
This has me very interested. Do you care to elaborate?
I do care but do I dare?

They are so many... I gonna be caught...

Anyway, I'd like to share thoughts and observations about the global picture, don't know where...

I think this is the right place, Mr Blond.
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

Also the top 20 guesses you all are conjouring (get it?), surely Infinity War makes it? It is the highest rated on imdb. Not saying we're imdb but we're not not imdb.

208 points, 14 lists
The Hateful Eight
Director

Quentin Tarantino, 2015

Starring

Samuel L. Jackson, Kurt Russell, Jennifer Jason Leigh, Walton Goggins

209 points, 19 lists
Get Out
Director

Jordan Peele, 2017

Starring

Daniel Kaluuya, Allison Williams, Catherine Keener, Bradley Whitford

Trivia

The Hateful Eight - After the script leaked online, writer and director Quentin Tarantino did not want to make this movie. However, after they did a brief reading of the script in Los Angeles, the cast was stunned and got excited for the film, and with Samuel L. Jackson persuading him to do this movie, Tarantino accepted.
Get Out - Daniel Kaluuya was given the lead role on the spot after nailing his audition. Writer, co-producer, and director Jordan Peele said Kaluuya did about five takes of a key scene, in which his character needs to cry, and each was so perfect that the single tear came down at the exact same time for each take.

Reply to Topic