The MoFo Top 100 of the 2010s Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Only one vote so far on these first ten (The Raid #18). Three decent horror flicks, Kaufman is pretty good but not a favorite, Hertzfeldt left me a little underwhelmed but haven't seen that or Room. I did rewatch Civil War this year with a few other Marvel "team up" chapters and found it to be better than I remembered, but the Russo's can get exhausting with these entries.

The truth is in here
The Witch is a very good movie. It's one of those slowburn thrillers which really takes its time building the characters and never reveals too much at once. The acting overall is excellent. Anya Taylor-Joy gives you reason to empathize with her character and really make you feel how unfair the way she's getting treated is, while Ralph Ineson and Kate Dickie both nicely take turns playing insanely unstable and possibly psychotic parents. Religious conviction is the real beast of terror here.

It does get a little bit too slow sometimes, and though it's never boring there are sections where you are waiting for the story to pick up the pace again. Nevertheless it's well worth a watch. I think Hereditary deserves to be a little higher, but am relatively supportive of it making the countdown.

Now that we have 10 entries, if it's OK with @SpelingError, I will post my usual pit-stop!

Stats: Pit Stop #1

Decade Breakdown
  • 2010 = 1
  • 2011 = 2
  • 2012 = 0
  • 2013 = 0
  • 2014 = 0
  • 2015 = 5
  • 2016 = 1
  • 2017 = 0
  • 2018 = 1
  • 2019 = 0

2015 with a strong showing off the gate!

No point in doing a director breakdown cause there have been no repeats so far, but the genre grouping seems to be less spread-out than it was in the 2000s:
  • Action = 3
  • Science fiction = 1
  • Comedy drama = 2
  • Drama = 1
  • Horror = 3

Also, as of now, we have two films that are not from the US (The Raid and The Man from Nowhere), and two animated films.

Haven't seen either

Anomalisa seems like one that I'd be rather polarized on, but I'm very open to giving it a try

Would love to watch The Whitch, especially now that I see it has a young Anya Taylor Joy who I think is a superb actress.

Time to start delegating some time to viewing the films I haven't seen

Anomalisa is excellent and happy to see it here. It didn't make my list but would have maybe squeaked in a top 50. I haven't seen The Witch!
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

haven't seen anomalisa in a while so i don't remember much about it other than that it blew me away. it was #24 on my list. the vvitch is also really good
criticker

Civil War: haven't seen. But I'm going to lol anyway.

It Follows - the concept is great, the presentation is great, the acting and characters are great, the scares are great, the soundtrack is great and for the most part the execution of the story is great. But this is one of the exceptionally rare instances where the logic and execution of a plot point was almost the movies death for me. The plan at the pool is just so dumb, not only on the part of the characters, but in the dreadful way it is handled by the film itself, that it just tore me from believing in the film. Normally this shouldn't happen to me. I'm not entirely even sure why it did. Sure, it being an extraordinarily dumb concept is part of it. But I've excused that before. So I think it has something to do with how important believing in these characters is for this film to work and having them execute a plan that miiight make sense of they were seven years old, or miiight be excusable if they were the Scooby Doo gang, turned them all into pure constructs of the film. And once the happened, the curtain was down. I started to think about the logistics of the curse, and it totally fell apart. And while I cant remember what the logical fallacy of it was, trust me in that it breaks your brain once you think about it. And I became distracted by the genesis of such a thing, and was no longer even thinking about the movie anymore or how good it was up until that point

So maybe a criticism I would grill someone else for, since everything else was great, and story is rarely the most important thing in a film,. But here we are. Didnt make my list

Both of the newest reveals are great and perhaps could have made my list. They would probably be on a top 50 of mine…

I’ve seen The VVitch twice I think and it was also really good on second watch. A very talented man, that Eggers guy. Great mood and feel and very unique. Love the folk tale feel.

As for Anomalisa - I adore stop-motion. It’s one of my favorite things. And this one is totally unique in the way that it is made like a “grown up drama” and the it really pushes the envelope for stop-motion. Great film.

+1 for The Witch, one of the best horror movies I've seen in ages.

It Follows - the concept is great, the presentation is great, the acting and characters are great, the scares are great, the soundtrack is great and for the most part the execution of the story is great. But this is one of the exceptionally rare instances where the logic and execution of a plot point was almost the movies death for me. The plan at the pool is just so dumb, not only on the part of the characters, but in the dreadful way it is handled by the film itself, that it just tore me from believing in the film. Normally this shouldn't happen to me. I'm not entirely even sure why it did. Sure, it being an extraordinarily dumb concept is part of it. But I've excused that before. So I think it has something to do with how important believing in these characters is for this film to work and having them execute a plan that miiight make sense of they were seven years old, or miiight be excusable if they were the Scooby Doo gang, turned them all into pure constructs of the film. And once the happened, the curtain was down. I started to think about the logistics of the curse, and it totally fell apart. And while I cant remember what the logical fallacy of it was, trust me in that it breaks your brain once you think about it. And I became distracted by the genesis of such a thing, and was no longer even thinking about the movie anymore or how good it was up until that point

So maybe a criticism I would grill someone else for, since everything else was great, and story is rarely the most important thing in a film,. But here we are. Didnt make my list
I feel like there's something about the pool criticism I'm not picking up on (I've seen it brought up a couple times before).

WARNING: spoilers below
Are you referring to "How did they know that electrical appliances/bullets would have any effect on the entity?" Because I don't think the film ever made the stance that the entity was indestructible. Sure, it was clearly shown to be stronger than the average human, but not that you weren't able to hurt it. Unless you're referring to "Why go through all the trouble of fighting one of them when there's clearly multiple entities who will probably keep coming after you?", which I guess is kind of fair. Still though, they didn't have any other options, aside from passing the curse onto other people, so why not give it a shot anyways, ya know?

Society ennobler, last seen in Medici's Florence
92. Anomalisa
91. The Vvitch

The same here: I've heard none of these...

See you later...

@SpelingError I feel like Charlie Kaufman should get a directing credit, since he was the director with Duke Johnson. As for the movie itself, I really wanted to love this because I'm a huge fan of Kaufman, but the gloomy vibe mixed with the stop motion just didn't excite me. But it's still better than I'm Thinking of Ending Things, and I should give it another chance.

@SpelingError I feel like Charlie Kaufman should get a directing credit, since he was the director with Duke Johnson. As for the movie itself, I really wanted to love this because I'm a huge fan of Kaufman, but the gloomy vibe mixed with the stop motion just didn't excite me. But it's still better than I'm Thinking of Ending Things, and I should give it another chance.
I don't think I'm able to change the layout of the film template. That would be something Yoda would have to do. I did include both directors in the second post of this thread though.

I was really into Anomalisa at the start, but then it never really went anywhere above ok for me.

Didn't care for The Witch except for the atmosphere and setting.

I feel like there's something about the pool criticism I'm not picking up on (I've seen it brought up a couple times before).

WARNING: spoilers below
Are you referring to "How did they know that electrical appliances/bullets would have any effect on the entity?" Because I don't think the film ever made the stance that the entity was indestructible. Sure, it was clearly shown to be stronger than the average human, but not that you weren't able to hurt it. Unless you're referring to "Why go through all the trouble of fighting one of them when there's clearly multiple entities who will probably keep coming after you?", which I guess is kind of fair. Still though, they didn't have any other options, aside from passing the curse onto other people, so why not give it a shot anyways, ya know?

Number one, because I don't know what led them to believe electricity was the answer to their problems. And because there is no real solid reasoning for this that I can remember, it just highlights how deeply clumsy and convuluted a plan it is. Not to mention, how easy it is to thwart (as will quickly be shown by the thing they are trying to kill). There are just so many ways for them to have come up with to damage it, and this literally had to be the most overwrought of all. It's just about one step better than my childhood plan to kill a local nemesis but putting soap all over my bathroom floor, luring him there and then pushing him so he'd tumble all the way towards the bath, where he'd fall in and drown. That is was a six year olds plan sounds like, and this one is a couple of years better.

Maybe if it was a dumb plan but was worth it because of some spectacular visual it would allow the director to finish the film with, I would be willing to overlook it, like I normally would. But it is a plan that can only look silly and unclimactic on screen. What do we get, some toasters being thrown at a wall as a result of it? It's just so.... awful. Glaringly so considering the rest of the movie is so well measured and sleek and definitely not dumb.

Number one, because I don't know what led them to believe electricity was the answer to their problems. And because there is no real solid reasoning for this that I can remember, it just highlights how deeply clumsy and convuluted a plan it is. Not to mention, how easy it is to thwart (as will quickly be shown by the thing they are trying to kill). There are just so many ways for them to have come up with to damage it, and this literally had to be the most overwrought of all. It's just about one step better than my childhood plan to kill a local nemesis but putting soap all over my bathroom floor, luring him there and then pushing him so he'd tumble all the way towards the bath, where he'd fall in and drown. That is was a six year olds plan sounds like, and this one is a couple of years better.

Maybe if it was a dumb plan but was worth it because of some spectacular visual it would allow the director to finish the film with, I would be willing to overlook it, like I normally would. But it is a plan that can only look silly and unclimactic on screen. What do we get, some toasters being thrown at a wall as a result of it? It's just so.... awful. Glaringly so considering the rest of the movie is so well measured and sleek and definitely not dumb.
I wasn't bothered much by that, but I can understand that.