Personal Recommendation Hall of Fame VI

Tools    

Until you see Magnolia
Could be, I've liked other PTA movies.

I love Wendy and Lucy. That ending crushed me.
For me what I liked about Wendy and Lucy and other of Reichardt movies was the moments in between. I don't need big endings in movies but the ending in W&L was perfect.

I always thought it was weird that I loved Body Heat at a young age. It's a mature movie and at that point I didn't like mature movies. Love Turner and Hurt in it. It was on my list of contenders for CR.
I was never a big fan of Kathleen Turner though she was perfect for the role. I guess I don't find her attractive or sexy though she is, does that makes sense?

I was never a big fan of Kathleen Turner though she was perfect for the role. I guess I don't find her attractive or sexy though she is, does that makes sense?
As a young teen I was totally into her. Then I got into classier and more sophisticated women, like Pam Anderson and Carmen Electra.

Roxanne

I think this was a good choice for me, even if it doesn’t end up being terribly successful. I love Steve Martin, and since I just got done gushing over him a few times in the comedy countdown, I assume that’s why this was chosen for me. I did enjoy this quite a but when it was Martin being Martin. I also like how sweet this movie is. They could have easily just made Chris into a creep, but they don’t, and his character had a nice little arc.

Where the movie loses me is in the contrived identity situational comedy. I can absolutely love silly comedy, but I grow frustrated when characters are put in situations where it would be obvious what is happening. I’m talking about the letter writing and the date scene of course. This frustrates me with sitcoms and it definitely makes the middle third of this movie pretty rough for me.

Glad I saw this, and enjoyed it somewhat so it was not a bad choice. Just one that likely won’t rank at the top when all is said and done.

Pretty much agree with everything you said. The date scene is silly, so I get ya on that and the movie overall is pretty standard 80's fluff but it's a rom-com that actually works for me. I do think it's one of Martin's best performances even if it isn't one of his best movies.

Life is Sweet (1990)

#95 on the British films list from the same director of Naked and Secrets & Lies, 2 movies I'm a big fan of. No plot, just a look at the lives of mom and dad, their 2 teen daughters, and a couple of people in their lives.

I needed this movie to grow on me and it did. A couple of characters were sometimes silly and annoying to me, but not to the point of being unrealistic. It's one of those movies in which nothing particularly bad happens, yet it's sort of depressing. It's also sort of funny on occasion. I didn't have a firm grip on it to be honest, but it felt very real. The acting was very good and it needed to be because that's what carries the movie. Not completely without drama but I was hoping for something a little heavier at some point. It was a good slice of London area life.

Life is Sweet (1990)
It's one of those movies in which nothing particularly bad happens, yet it's sort of depressing. It's also sort of funny on occasion. I didn't have a firm grip on it to be honest, but it felt very real.
I hated Naked but Life is Sweet sounds like it might be my cup of tea. I do like movies that aren't about much and just sorta shows us people's lives.

I hated Naked but Life is Sweet sounds like it might be my cup of tea. I do like movies that aren't about much and just sorta shows us people's lives.
Yes and I also think you'd enjoy Secrets & Lies.

As I hinted at yesterday I watched The Red Shoes and I have to admit it may be the best movie about ballet I have ever seen. I don't know if this is cheating or not but before the movie was over I looked up the fairy tale on which the ballet was based and that may have been a bit spoilerish for the movie but then again the movie wasn't a retelling of that tale directly so eh. It was about Victoria, her composer lover Julian, their disapproving boss, Boris and red shoes.

Basic plot is Victoria is a relatively unknown dancer, with boatloads of talent and, if given the opportunity, will be one of best ever. With a little help from her friends she finds herself in a very well respected ballet company run by Boris. Boris is all about the company. He has a little of Fletcher from Whiplash in him (a little), he's a demanding SOB and he's worried that any kind of romance/distraction will ruin Vicky's chance at being the best, in turn costing him some money. I don't think it's a jealousy thing with Boris, it's a money thing. That's my take anyway. While at the company Victoria hooks up with the new composer, Julian, falls in love much to the Boss' chagrin, he boots them, more stuff happens, she comes back for one more performance of the Red Shoes, which had been retired from production since she and Julian left and finis. That's the condensed, Cliff Notes version if you want to fail your high scool report on The Red Shoes.

Okay, so the highlights:

1. the 15 minute ballet of The Red Shoes, in the middle of the movie.That was soo good. The cinematography and fx were very impressive for a 1940's film.
2. The music all the way through was good.
3. The movie doesn't follow the fairy tale but the fairy tale inspires much of what happens. It's neat how it ties together
4. The ending.

I thought it started a little slow but by the time the Red Shoes was performed I was in. Of the actors, never heard of any of them so I gotta look them up, the guy who portrayed Boris - Anton Walbrook- was great. I didn't like him at all, so well done. Moira Shearer plays Vicky and she was solid. Her dancing is pretty outstanding and finally Marius Goring played Julian. I thought he did well but for me Vicky and Boris kind of overshadowed him a little.

I would never have picked this for me but good job to whoever did. You know me better than I know me. I'd watch this again. Not saying this is going to win, only Pandora's Box went wire to wire for me in one of these HoF's, but it's a helluva start.

Definitely need to see Life Is Sweet again. Think it was just my second Leigh, and I have become a big fan since going through quite a bit of his filmography.

I forgot the opening line.
I got myself In the Heat of the Night on Criterion and watched it recently - I already loved it though. I haven't seen a Mike Leigh film I haven't liked, and that includes, of course, Life is Sweet. When I saw The Red Shoes for the first time, around a year ago, it completely blew my mind and automatically qualified as one of the best films I'd ever seen. None of my nominations have come up yet, I don't think.

I'll probably get started with Dances With Wolves sometime soon.

Latest Review : Le Circle Rouge (1970)

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.

Roxanne

I think this was a good choice for me, even if it doesn’t end up being terribly successful. I love Steve Martin, and since I just got done gushing over him a few times in the comedy countdown, I assume that’s why this was chosen for me. I did enjoy this quite a but when it was Martin being Martin. I also like how sweet this movie is. They could have easily just made Chris into a creep, but they don’t, and his character had a nice little arc.

Where the movie loses me is in the contrived identity situational comedy. I can absolutely love silly comedy, but I grow frustrated when characters are put in situations where it would be obvious what is happening. I’m talking about the letter writing and the date scene of course. This frustrates me with sitcoms and it definitely makes the middle third of this movie pretty rough for me.

Glad I saw this, and enjoyed it somewhat so it was not a bad choice. Just one that likely won’t rank at the top when all is said and done.

I don’t care if people tell me who nominated after I watch. Certainly won’t effect my rankings. I’m not bothered if people want to wait till the end either. I’m guessing Allaby for this rec. I may have some inside info for that guess, we will see if I’m correct.

I'm usually hit or miss with Steve Martin movies because sometimes he's just too "over the top" for my taste, but I think Roxanne is one of his better movies. I haven't seen it in a while, but I remember liking it a lot.

I don't think I've seen this, at least I've not crossed it off my list yet though it seems familiar to me. I wonder how many movies I've seen and forgotten? Not hard to do when you've been watching movies for a long time! I've not see that many of Steve Martin's films most of the ones I've seen I'd rate as OK.

For Steve Martin movies, in addition to Roxanne, I'd also recommend All of Me (1984). It's one of his funniest movies.

Predestination (2014)
Directed by: Michael Spierig, Peter Spierig
Starring: Ethan Hawke, Sarah Snook, Noah Taylor

Predestination captured my attention right from its opening shots. They were so purposefully framed that I knew paying attention to small details throughout the film would reveal information that a casual viewer might initially miss. I pieced together almost every aspect of the story's “twists” quite early on, but that didn't negatively affect my enjoyment of the film in any way. Instead, I appreciated how well the film makers laid out the groundwork for those major reveals.

The visual style, atmosphere, and tone of the film all worked really well for me. Even without the aforementioned clues for attentive audiences, I would've praised the film's cinematography. The Unmarried Mother's story was rather compelling, and the performances by Ethan Hawke and Sarah Snook were quite captivating. I'm not sure why, but I keep forgetting how much I like Ethan Hawke as an actor until I see him on screen again.

Based on the posters I saw before hand, and the brief “action thriller” description I had read, I expected a much different film than the thought-provoking drama Predestination delivered. So ultimately, the biggest twist for me was that it wasn't an action film at all, and I'm perfectly happy with that. If I could change anything, I wish I didn't know the film's title before I saw it, as it does remove some of the initial mystery, but that's practically impossible to do these days.

I loved Predestination the first time I saw it, and it was even better when I rewatched it a few months ago.

On a different note, did anyone else think that in the bar scenes, Sarah Snook looked like a young Leonardo DiCaprio?

I just finished watching Wendy and Lucy (2008). Directed by Kelly Reichardt, this drama stars Michelle Williams and the beautiful Lucy (the dog). It's about a drifter and her dog and the challenges they face. I had been meaning to see this one for a while now, but had never gotten around to it. I'm glad I got to see it now. This is an excellent film. Michelle Williams is great here and Lucy the doggy is fantastic. The story is told in an interesting and effective way. I cared about the cares and was invested in their journey and what would happen to them. The film is only an hour and 20 minutes and I appreciated that they didn't feel the need to stretch things out and told the story so well in such an economical manner. I've now seen four films directed by Kelly Reichardt and this is my favourite of the ones I have seen. My guess is that Citizen Rules picked this one for me. Whoever it was, good job!

It's been a while since I watched Wendy and Lucy, but I remember it being a great movie that was so heartbreaking to watch that I haven't had a desire to rewatch it.

On a different note, did anyone else think that in the bar scenes, Sarah Snook looked like a young Leonardo DiCaprio?
I was trying to figure out who Snook reminded me of in those scenes, and you're spot on. A young Leonardo DiCaprio wearing make-up to make himself look older is exactly what I was thinking.

A Girl Walks Home Alone at Night (2014)
Directed by: Ana Lily Amirpour
Starring: Sheila Vand, Arash Marandi, Mozhan Marnò

With its minimal use of dialogue, A Girl Walks Home Alone at Night relies heavily on its visuals and atmosphere to tell most of its story. It has the confidence to present itself without any real explanation, while mixing Iranian and American culture together in a rather interesting manner. The soundtrack features a similar blending of styles, adding yet another distinct layer to an already unique film experience.

The cinematography is absolutely fantastic. The lighting, framing, and mise-en-scène in general work well together to create truly captivating images. There's a great use of contrast, not only with its visual style, but within the titular girl herself. While the chador can make her appear meek and unassuming, it's also used menacingly when she stalks the townspeople at night, where it frequently resembles a classic vampire's cloak.

Despite not having much spoken dialogue to work with, the performances in A Girl Walks Home Alone at Night are amazing. There's tension and emotion in the actors' movements and expressions that don't require the use of words. When the silence is broken, it's also handled incredibly well, like in the scene where the girl warns the street kid to be a good boy. It's a slow film with an underlying current of terror, but it also surprisingly manages to balance that with its romance in a very satisfying manner.

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	girlwalks.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	117.9 KB
ID:	88527  

Blow Out:

I don't have much of a history with DePalma at this point. I have seen a few of his movies, but none of them have left a big impression with me one way or the other. That may seem kind of surprising considering one of the movies I have watched is Scarface. That movie really seems to divide people. I just found it to be a decent crime flick, elevated a bit by Pacino. Probably knocked down a notch or two in mind because it feels a little try hard in its bigger moments. Certainly a mixed bag.

Anyhow, not here to talk about Scarface. I had heard that Hitch influenced DePalma greatly and Blow Out brings that diagnosis firmly into the light. As Hitch moved into the 70's late in his life, and directed things like Frenzy, you could tell that he had a smutty side that had been just waiting to come out. DePalma takes that baton and runs with it, although Blow Out always feels just trashy enough. I like that about it. It's a seedy movie and isn't afraid to lean into that. Exhibit one is the opening, which I found to be an absolutely brilliant entrance into this world, even if I would never actually want to sit down and watch that movie.

DePalma is an expert with the camera. When he decides for it to be very active, when he goes for close-ups, when he keeps us at a distance. This is really an art and, often, what separates the great directors form the decent ones in my opinion. I love everything about the way this movies looks. The studio where Travolta works is perfect. Another brilliant decision is the length of time DePalma chooses to spend with the processes Travolta is using for editing his sounds and visuals. A lesser film would certainly spend less time with this since it doesn't propel the plot quickly enough. These are some of the cooler moments in the film for me.

Two things keep this from being a perfect film for me. I would have cast someone other than Allen. It may be mean to say, but I just flat out didn't find her very good or compelling. Especially when most of her scenes are matched up with Travolta, who I always find compelling even when he chooses bad roles. She also has a couple great scenes with Dennis Franz, who frankly, just out acts her big time.

My other issues is a subplot involving Lithgow that I won't spoil, because anyone who has seen the movie knows exactly what I'm talking about. It just felt totally unnecessary. Lithgow is great though, and super creepy.

Even though I could tell where the final scene was going to end up. I still enjoyed that immensely. Everything tied in very nicely, and it felt very appropriate for Travolta's character. Glad I finally got to see Blow Out. Probably going to be hard to beat for my top spot.

I have no clue who nominated it. I would guess Cricket because it seems like his kind of movie, but I can also see him not thinking it' not quite right for me. I will guess Siddon.