Personal Recommendation Hall of Fame VI

Tools    

The trick is not minding
I'd try to guess, but I'm horrible at that. Don't know why but I keep thinking Belle de Jour.
Have you seen ITHOTN?
I have. It’s really good, despite Steiger’s tendency to overact at times in it. The story still resonates today.

And no, not Belle Do Jour

Mulholland Drive is one of my favorite films. You say you've seen it, but a rewatch will certainly put it in perspective.
Mulholland Drive got swapped out for CODA after, but I'll rewatch it at some point, maybe once I've finished with my other picks.

When going through Ed's lists, In the Heat of the Night was the first I came to that really stood out. It's a good one, think it made my 60's ballot.

In the Heat of the Night (1967)

Gillespie: You look at bodies all the time in Philadelphia. Why can't you look at this one?
Tibbs: Why can't you look at it for yourself?
Gillespie: Because I'm not an expert. OFFICER!

"They called me MISTER TIBBS." Testify!!

What a thoroughly enjoyable cinematic experience for my first watch.
Two giants, Sidney Poitier and Rod Steiger are at the top of their game and acting in this small Mississippi town, Sparta.
LOOVED the locale shots of this, well, Tough Guy Buddy Cop film, lol, But it is not a knock against this terse, realistic detective tale immersed in volatile Southern Racism of the time.
Poitier plays an astute Homicide detective from Philadelphia waiting for a train, arrested by Warren Oates' Sam Wood for the murder of a significant investor in the town. When Tibbs' credentials and innocence are confirmed, Rod Steiger's dead-on portrayal of Sheriff Gillespie reluctantly takes a dangerous but necessary road of getting his assistance when his surefire guilty suspects are proven innocent by Tibbs' detective skills.
Along with several pleasant surprises in secondary roles, Lee Grant did a formidable job as the victim's strong-willed widow.

THANK YOU to whoever chose this!!
I confess it was me! You're welcome, glad you enjoy it. In the Heat of the Night is an excellent film and in my all time top 200.

Tsotsi (2005)

Tsotsi is the name the lead character goes by which means thug where the film takes place in Johannesburg. Him and his crew commit violent crime to get by, and because it seems they know no other way. After one of these crimes, Tsotsi ends up caring for a victim's baby which leads to a change within him. I believe he sees the innocence in the baby and contemplates what led him on the path that he's on.

Tsotsi won the Oscar for best foreign language film, and if anything didn't quite suit my taste, it was how polished the film was. It looks and sounds a lot like a Hollywood film. In reality this is a compliment; it's just that I prefer films like this to be a little more dirty. It's quality all the way around and features a standout performance from Presley Chweneyagae in the lead role. It's powerful and moving, and even though I don't quite view it as a new favorite, it would make a good general HoF nomination. I think just about anyone could take something positive from it.

Even though it plays out in a fairly standard way, I do think there are interesting questions that it raises. Is it fair to question a person's morality when they have no concept of what it is? I see most people who do bad things to be victims themselves, but surely there's a limit to what one can do and still deserve forgiveness and compassion. I think it's a very complicated thing that has no easy answers. A very good movie and nomination.

+

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
I have. It’s really good, despite Steiger’s tendency to overact at times in it. The story still resonates today.

And no, not Belle Do Jour
Steiger has that tendency to let loose and be bombastic though its those nuances of such characters that always engage me. Especially with this one. You see it all play out even when he hides his cards to other characters.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
I confess it was me! You're welcome, glad you enjoy it. In the Heat of the Night is an excellent film and in my all time top 200.
THANK YOU!!
This is right up there like when you nominated Born Yesterday.
Excellent call.

Tsotsi (2005)

Tsotsi is the name the lead character goes by which means thug where the film takes place in Johannesburg. Him and his crew commit violent crime to get by, and because it seems they know no other way. After one of these crimes, Tsotsi ends up caring for a victim's baby which leads to a change within him. I believe he sees the innocence in the baby and contemplates what led him on the path that he's on.

Tsotsi won the Oscar for best foreign language film, and if anything didn't quite suit my taste, it was how polished the film was. It looks and sounds a lot like a Hollywood film. In reality this is a compliment; it's just that I prefer films like this to be a little more dirty. It's quality all the way around and features a standout performance from Presley Chweneyagae in the lead role. It's powerful and moving, and even though I don't quite view it as a new favorite, it would make a good general HoF nomination. I think just about anyone could take something positive from it.

Even though it plays out in a fairly standard way, I do think there are interesting questions that it raises. Is it fair to question a person's morality when they have no concept of what it is? I see most people who do bad things to be victims themselves, but surely there's a limit to what one can do and still deserve forgiveness and compassion. I think it's a very complicated thing that has no easy answers. A very good movie and nomination.

+

I hate doing blind noms so Tsotsi it was. I was going to try The Terrorist again but didn't. So there's that. I get what you mean about it being a clean looking film and I also like my gritty films gritty but it's not something that I even thought about while watching this. There were a couple things I may have had a little quibble with, very LITTLE, but by the time the final scene was finished it had won me over. I enjoyed the transformation of Tsotsi. I usually am not a fan of flashbacks but the couple they used here to show how Tsotsi became Tsotsi were pretty heartbreaking/powerful. I had it at

I wouldn't recommend Santa Sangre to a lot of people but seeing some of what you own/have seen I knew I could nominate something with a little edge to it, a little out of the ordinary.

Body Heat (1981)

Wahoo, this was a good one! I thought I might like it but I didn't think it would be so well crafted and it really was well written. I went into this blind except of course I'd heard of this ever since it first came out. I imaged that this was a crime drama and indeed IMDB tags it as Crime-Drama-Romance...but hot damn this was a neo-noir and one of the best neo-noirs I've seen.

Right at the start when this shady lawyer tries to pick up this hot woman on a hot night in Florida, I was hooked. I noticed the dialog between William Hurt and Kathleen Turner sounded like the famous lines between Boggie and Bacall in To Have and Have Not. Other movies have emulated To Have and Have Not, only they come off as a faux copy of the original. Here in Body Heat the 'pick up' dialogue sounds natural. I believed these people would talk and act like this. So that was the first act which blew me away!

The second act was the planning and execution of the murder of Turner's husband. This is where I though 'how cool' that it was inspired by one of my favorite movies Double Indemnity. And yet like the first act it wasn't some hackney copy, it was it's own movie and that's not always easy to do in neo-noir. The second act was short but effective.

Now the third act is usually where films lose me as they go way over the top, but not here, everything was still balanced nicely. The third act has the non-too-bright lawyer (
William Hurt) slowly becoming a suspect in the murder of Kathleen Turner's husband. I loved that the film never rushes that suspicion and despite the rather hap-hazard behavior of the lawyer he manages to be smart enough to explain or avoid most of the situations that would land him in hot water.

Such an intelligently written film, I enjoyed it.
Thanks to whoever chose it!

I just finished watching Wendy and Lucy (2008). Directed by Kelly Reichardt, this drama stars Michelle Williams and the beautiful Lucy (the dog). It's about a drifter and her dog and the challenges they face. I had been meaning to see this one for a while now, but had never gotten around to it. I'm glad I got to see it now. This is an excellent film. Michelle Williams is great here and Lucy the doggy is fantastic. The story is told in an interesting and effective way. I cared about the cares and was invested in their journey and what would happen to them. The film is only an hour and 20 minutes and I appreciated that they didn't feel the need to stretch things out and told the story so well in such an economical manner. I've now seen four films directed by Kelly Reichardt and this is my favourite of the ones I have seen. My guess is that Citizen Rules picked this one for me. Whoever it was, good job!

I just finished watching Wendy and Lucy (2008). Directed by Kelly Reichardt... My guess is that Citizen Rules picked this one for me. Whoever it was, good job!
I love Wendy and Lucy and did consider it for some people, but nope not my choice. BTW Kelly Reichardt is my favorite director who's still making movies.

I love Wendy and Lucy and did consider it for some people, but nope not my choice. BTW Kelly Reichardt is my favorite director who's still making movies.
Until you see Magnolia

The trick is not minding

The Ballad of Narayama (1983)
I saw an older movie by the same title and didn't like it, but I think this is the same director as Vengeance is Mine and Black Rain, 2 movies I loved. I think Ebert list?

Cannes list. The original 1957 version is on Eberts list.

I hate doing blind noms so Tsotsi it was. I was going to try The Terrorist again but didn't. So there's that. I get what you mean about it being a clean looking film and I also like my gritty films gritty but it's not something that I even thought about while watching this. There were a couple things I may have had a little quibble with, very LITTLE, but by the time the final scene was finished it had won me over. I enjoyed the transformation of Tsotsi. I usually am not a fan of flashbacks but the couple they used here to show how Tsotsi became Tsotsi were pretty heartbreaking/powerful. I had it at
The flashbacks worked well because they were so minimal yet it showed the root of his issues.

Cannes list. The original 1957 version is on Eberts list.
That makes sense because I thought I saw the title there.

I always thought it was weird that I loved Body Heat at a young age. It's a mature movie and at that point I didn't like mature movies. Love Turner and Hurt in it. It was on my list of contenders for CR.

Wendy and Lucy was not on my list of contenders for Allaby. I'm a sucker for films with dogs but I thought it was just ok. It's been a while but I never got the love for it or the director.