The Personal Recommendation Hall of Fame IV

Tools    

I wanted a Doc or 2. Oh well.
Your disappointment over not getting a documentary could potentially make a great documentary, with the right director of course.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Your disappointment over not getting a documentary could potentially make a great documentary, with the right director of course.
Directed by Mark Borchardt

Another Earth (2011) Been on my watchlist for awhile.
Brief Encounter (1945) Never heard of it
Castle in the Sky (1986) Gonna keep building up that anime resume!
The Conversation (1974) Love the 70's, love Hackman. Seems like a solid/safe pick.
High and Low (1963) Have only seen 4 Kurosawa films and they've all been outstanding. So why haven't I seen more? Good question.
House of Wax (1953) Big blind spot for me - 50's horror.
How Green Was My Valley (1941) Heard of it but don't know anything about it.
It's Such a Beautiful Day (2012) Never heard of it but I have to like it, right?
I Walked with a Zombie (1943) Kind of the same thing as House of Wax. Just never watched older horror because of the lack of blood and guts
Memories of Murder (2003) Been wanting to see this. It's on my watchlist but I kind of forgot about it.
Persona (1966) Need to see more Bergman. I think I've only seen 2 from him. One I loved and one I was impressed with but it was a bit of a drain.
Touch of Evil (1958) I've started this a couple times but never finished it. Can't remember why. Cat probably got outside and I had to put my entire life on hold to chase the little beast around the neighborhood for at least an hour, can of tuna dripping all over my hands, knowing full well that the little ****er would've be sitting at the back door in 15 minutes if ya just let it be. Or maybe I just fell asleep.

Overall, I'm pretty hyped about these films.

I wanted a Doc or 2. Oh well.
Definitely mention this next time around. I've shied away from recommending docs because I'm never totally sure if people are into them as opposed to wanting narrative films.

Actually, a documentary HoF could be pretty cool.

So I just finished watching Dead Man (1995). I had heard about this film a while back and had been meaning to eventually watch it, but had never gotten around to it. Written and directed by Jim Jarmusch, the film stars Johnny Depp a man named William Blake who goes on an unusual journey after killing a man. This is a really interesting film, with a very intelligent screenplay and is directed with distinctive style and substance. Depp is great here and there is a wonderful and interesting cast that are all in fine form. The film has a dream like atmosphere and feels quite poetic at times. The black and white cinematography is beautiful and striking and helps enhance the mood of the film. The score by Neil Young is fantastic and perfectly complements the film. Dead Man is an unusual and artfully made gem. A great choice for me, so thanks to whoever picked it. My rating is a

So I just finished watching Dead Man (1995). I had heard about this film a while back and had been meaning to eventually watch it, but had never gotten around to it. Written and directed by Jim Jarmusch, the film stars Johnny Depp a man named William Blake who goes on an unusual journey after killing a man. This is a really interesting film, with a very intelligent screenplay and is directed with distinctive style and substance. Depp is great here and there is a wonderful and interesting cast that are all in fine form. The film has a dream like atmosphere and feels quite poetic at times. The black and white cinematography is beautiful and striking and helps enhance the mood of the film. The score by Neil Young is fantastic and perfectly complements the film. Dead Man is an unusual and artfully made gem. A great choice for me, so thanks to whoever picked it. My rating is a
Glad you liked it-I hate that movie!!

Reactions!

A Taste of Honey (1961)--Watching it now!

Cabaret (1972)--I've been trying to watch this film for ages. Excited for it!

Dancer in the Dark (2000)--Ah, the film that broke Bjork's spirit! I see someone was like "Optimistic eh? Hee hee hee!"

Floating Weeds (1959)--Watched the 30s version of this and really liked it, and I've been excited to watch the 50s version!

The Lives of Others (2006)--Been on my watchlist for a good while.

MASH (1970)--I started this AGES ago and just wasn't vibing with it (like, in the first 5 minutes). Excited to give it another spin! I have a pretty good track record with Altman.

Million Dollar Baby (2004)--I really like Hilary Swank. I wish I didn't know certain things about how it ends, but excited to check it out! Eastwood can be a bit hit-or-miss for me, but when it's a hit, I really like his work.

Mystery Train (1989)--Another one from my watchlist. I have yet to be really failed by Jarmusch.

Roman Holiday (1953)--Definitely falls under that category of classics I've been meaning to see for ages and just never got around to.

Stand By Me (1986)--Ditto!

Sullivan's Travels (1941)--I've enjoyed what I've seen from Preston Sturges. Looks good!

Wendy and Lucy (2008)--Love Michelle Williams. This has been on my to-see list for ages but because it involves animals and (probably) heartbreak, I just haven't gone for it yet. I swear to god if the dog dies . . . *shakes fist* . . . (Okay, I'll probably still love it, but still *shakes fist*).

And the 1st member in the 2nd post watches the 1st movie in the 2nd post while also becoming the 1st member to watch their 1st movie. Coincidence? I think not!

One quick question, what's everybody's takes on revealing who recommended what? Don't care? Wait for the final reveal at the end? I asked the same on the previous PR and wanted to know the same here.

Also, thanks to everyone for making the effort of keeping everything under 2 hours for me. I only have one a little over 2 hours, but I can make it work.

One quick question, what's everybody's takes on revealing who recommended what? Don't care? Wait for the final reveal at the end? I asked the same on the previous PR and wanted to know the same here.
To each their own. I only revealed what I picked for someone once, when Miss Vicky hated Blue Velvet. She didn't vote it last though

It seems kind of polarizing. I feel like I've only heard love-it/hate-it reactions.
2 of the things people praise are what I hate most, the cinematography and score. And I love Neil Young!

Anyone want to guess the order that people finish?

I'll say

Allaby
Sean
Takoma
Citizen
Thursday
Okay
Fredrick
Cricket
Raul
Siddon
Ed
Thief
Neiba

Takoma would finish in 3 days except she'll have a movie that gets lost in the mail.

I don't mind if people reveal who recommended what. It doesn't affect me enjoyment or opinion of the films. I also have no problem with people choosing not to reveal what they recommended until the very end. I'm fine with it either way. I'm easy to please!

Anyone want to guess the order that people finish?

I'll say

Allaby
Sean
Takoma
Citizen
Thursday
Okay
Fredrick
Cricket
Raul
Siddon
Ed
Thief
Neiba

Takoma would finish in 3 days except she'll have a movie that gets lost in the mail.
I'll guess:
Cricket
Allaby
Citizen
Sean
Takoma
Thursday
Siddon
Fredrick
Thief
Neiba
Raul
Ed
Okay

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Definitely mention this next time around. I've shied away from recommending docs because I'm never totally sure if people are into them as opposed to wanting narrative films.

Actually, a documentary HoF could be pretty cool.
I'd be down for another Doc HOF. They've done one before unfortunately I wasn't in it