Divisive movies that are liked more now

Tools    

I certainly agree there - they're both far better!
This all comes to personal preference but for me it's either Tarantino or Nolan by miles.

I enjoy all of their films, and I already said I count on my fingers how many movies I liked for these two directors.

So agree to disagree.

Victim of The Night
agree to disagree here, I don’t have those issues.
Well, I don't feel like I have them either, the movie has the issues.

Victim of The Night
What I mean is that they are truly accessible, known and blockbuster directors so it's a minority I guess meanwhile a director like Cronenberg, Bunuel and Lynch might be not everyone's cup of tea.

For example, I'm a fan of Cronenberg.
Is "accessible" a virtue in film? I expect a bit more, even in blockbusters.

The idea that Eraserhead is a film about nothing and has no character development is blowing my mind.

The first time I watched Eraserhead I couldn't totally wrap my head around it, and one of my roommates came home as I was finishing it and was like "Why are you crying?" and I was like "I . . . .don't know!". A lot of his movies hit an emotional note with me, and it doesn't matter if I can't explain (or if Lynch won't explain) the woman in the radiator.

I find that films like Lost Highway and Mullholland Drive actually exist in a space that feels like it's somewhere between dream logic and "real" logic, and that's what makes them so unnerving.

His films are very distinct and have a unique tone to them. Naturally this is going to be divisive. He's not my favorite director, but I would watch one of his films over Tarantino in a heartbeat.

My sights were set squarely on High Life, which I abhor. In fact, it's one of the very few movies in my life that I shut off in disgust.
I really enjoyed High Life, and its potent, visceral intersection between optimism and fatalism. I also thought that the performances were incredibly strong (especially Pattinson in the lead) and there was some incredible imagery. It has some flaws, but I cannot deny that it captivated me from beginning to end.

A system of cells interlinked
I really enjoyed High Life, and its potent, visceral intersection between optimism and fatalism. I also thought that the performances were incredibly strong (especially Pattinson in the lead) and there was some incredible imagery. It has some flaws, but I cannot deny that it captivated me from beginning to end.
Pattinson was excellent. The players were all good, but I just found some of the brutality to be really off-putting, and the film was dripping with nihilism. Might have just been my mood at the time, but I certainly haven't had the urge to revisit it.

Pattinson was excellent. The players were all good, but I just found some of the brutality to be really off-putting, and the film was dripping with nihilism. Might have just been my mood at the time, but I certainly haven't had the urge to revisit it.
Did you make it as far as (MODERATE SPOILERS)
WARNING: spoilers below
the baby?

I ask because I feel that at that point in the narrative you begin to get a counter-balance to the more negative stuff.

For what it's worth---and trying to stay really vague--I thought that the ending was really beautiful.

A system of cells interlinked
Did you make it as far as (MODERATE SPOILERS)
the baby?

I ask because I feel that at that point in the narrative you begin to get a counter-balance to the more negative stuff.

For what it's worth---and trying to stay really vague--I thought that the ending was really beautiful.
WARNING: "High Life" spoilers below
I did not. I actually thought the film was on a trajectory that would lead to something horrible happening with that character, and since my daughter was around the same age, I was just all set with that. Maybe I will pick up where I left off so I won't have to go through some of the earlier scenes again, some of which had me physically pissed off.

Victim of The Night
I guess so but I personally have never met someone in real life who doesn’t love The Dark Knight or Pulp Fiction XD
I don't love The Dark Knight, I do love Pulp Fiction. But I don't love several other movies by Tarantino.

Well, I don't feel like I have them either, the movie has the issues.
Subjective wise, since I don't recall any plot hole in TDKR.

I don't love The Dark Knight, I do love Pulp Fiction. But I don't love several other movies by Tarantino.
And that's completely fair, since it's subjective but as far as I am concerned both movies are loved and considered the best of each director.

Is "accessible" a virtue in film? I expect a bit more, even in blockbusters.
No but it means that more people can enjoy them. And Tarantino's stuff is well shot, directed, has great acting and it’s fun.

So, Tarantino is more of my cup of tea.

If you wonder my top 10

1. Scorsese
2. Spielberg
3. Coppola
4. Quentin Tarantino
5. David Cronenberg
6. Christopher Nolan
7. David Fincher
8. John Carpenter
9. James Cameron
10. Park-Chan Wook

As I said Nolan’s a great director who does his job well, has range and know how to write characters and storylines properly. He has his flaws and some movies that aren’t that good, but since he doesn’t use 3D and shots on digital with practical effects, his presence in the blockbuster area is positive for the industry.

Victim of The Night
Well, Denis is not exactly known for being cheerful, but that doesn't make the movies any less good.

Victim of The Night
Subjective wise, since I don't recall any plot hole in TDKR.

And that's completely fair, since it's subjective but as far as I am concerned both movies are loved and considered the best of each director.

No but it means that more people can enjoy them. And Tarantino's stuff is well shot, directed, has great acting and it’s fun.

So, Tarantino is more of my cup of tea.
As I said Nolan’s a great director who does his job well, has range and know how to write characters and storylines properly. He has his flaws and some movies that aren’t that good, but since he doesn’t use 3D and shots on digital with practical effects, his presence in the blockbuster area is positive for the industry.
Plot holes are not the only problems a movie can have. I think Nolan is a great director and at least marginally capable auteur until he isn't. His movies always feel like they think they are smarter than they actually are and, for me, the third acts consistently fail to deliver on the promise of the first two. When a friend got me to watch Interstellar, which I didn't even want to do, even though I am a huge Science Fiction fan, I went in with so much trepidation because I knew he would spend the first two acts setting up something great and then deliver something kinda meh. Like The Prestige. I think it's a really cool movie for two acts that promises a lot and then the third act comes and I'm like, "Well, that's a shame, guess this one won't be making it into the re-watch bin." To my surprise, while the third act of Interstellar is hardly a classic and it turned out to be exactly what I turned to my buddy and predicted like 10 minutes into the movie, I thought it was probably his best one yet in terms of not being a total letdown.
Regardless, my issues with Nolan are not plot holes nor are they him not knowing anything about medicine I just think he writes and directs 2/3 of good movies and I am always left wishing I had seen the movie the first 2/3 promised.

Victim of The Night

If you wonder my top 10

1. Scorsese
2. Spielberg
3. Coppola
4. Quentin Tarantino
5. David Cronenberg
6. Christopher Nolan
7. David Fincher
8. John Carpenter
9. James Cameron
10. Park-Chan Wook
This set me to wondering if I have a directorial top 10. I don't like making lists (I don't know why, I know most people love making lists, but I don't). But you've got me to thinking if I had to make a list, who would be on it.
I know the list would contain Krysztof Kieslowski. I think that's probably the easiest one for me. And I would probably be lying to myself if I didn't include Kubrick, even though it almost seems trite to include him. I like Jacques Tourneur quite a bit. I have come to really like Kurosawa over the last couple years. I have finally come around in the last few years to understanding why Hitchcock is so important as a director rather than just a storyteller. I like Fellini. I like Polanski. I like pretty much the entire French New Wave though I'd have trouble singling out one or two directors (though if I can base love on one movie, Agnes Varda might be my current favorite director; of course I said the same thing last year about Alain Resnais). I like Fritz Lang. I like Claire Denis. I think I'd probably have to admit I like Sidney Lumet. I like Brian DePalma even though I think most of his movies fall a bit short of greatness. I like Kathryn Bigelow, I wish she made more films. I like Robert Altman a lot. I think I like Spike Lee but I'm never really sure. So far I like Greta Gerwig, too. A guy I really like that a lot of people don't think about is Robert Wise.

I kinda hate Stephen Spielberg even though I love some of his movies, I think Coppola fell apart spectacularly despite making some truly historically great films, and I think Scorsese's work of the last like 25 years is pretty meh, though I love 4 or 5 of his films, so we're opposite on that, but I'm a big Cronenberg fan and I absolutely love John Carpenter, so we have that in common.

I think there's a bunch more directors I would include but I can't think of them right now.

This set me to wondering if I have a directorial top 10. I don't like making lists (I don't know why, I know most people love making lists, but I don't). But you've got me to thinking if I had to make a list, who would be on it.
I know the list would contain Krysztof Kieslowski. I think that's probably the easiest one for me. And I would probably be lying to myself if I didn't include Kubrick, even though it almost seems trite to include him. I like Jacques Tourneur quite a bit. I have come to really like Kurosawa over the last couple years. I have finally come around in the last few years to understanding why Hitchcock is so important as a director rather than just a storyteller. I like Fellini. I like Polanski. I like pretty much the entire French New Wave though I'd have trouble singling out one or two directors (though if I can base love on one movie, Agnes Varda might be my current favorite director; of course I said the same thing last year about Alain Resnais). I like Fritz Lang. I like Claire Denis. I think I'd probably have to admit I like Sidney Lumet. I like Brian DePalma even though I think most of his movies fall a bit short of greatness. I like Kathryn Bigelow, I wish she made more films. I like Robert Altman a lot. I think I like Spike Lee but I'm never really sure. So far I like Greta Gerwig, too. A guy I really like that a lot of people don't think about is Robert Wise.

I kinda hate Stephen Spielberg even though I love some of his movies, I think Coppola fell apart spectacularly despite making some truly historically great films, and I think Scorsese's work of the last like 25 years is pretty meh, though I love 4 or 5 of his films, so we're opposite on that, but I'm a big Cronenberg fan and I absolutely love John Carpenter, so we have that in common.

I think there's a bunch more directors I would include but I can't think of them right now.
It's all subjective but for me Cronenberg has stayed more consistent meanwhile Carpenter declined. But I like 80s Carpenter over most of Cronenberg's output.

I like having a top 10 where I rank my favorites, exactly like I do with my favorite films. I watched some of the names you listed but not everything yet, that’s why I haven’t listed Kubrick or Hitchcock, I only do that when I finish watching 100% of their filmographies.

Coppola did get worse but Godfather films Apocalyspe now, conversation and Dracula are all great and alone give him a pass for lackluster efforts such as Twixt and Jack. I go with quality over quantity with him.

Plot holes are not the only problems a movie can have. I think Nolan is a great director and at least marginally capable auteur until he isn't. His movies always feel like they think they are smarter than they actually are and, for me, the third acts consistently fail to deliver on the promise of the first two. When a friend got me to watch Interstellar, which I didn't even want to do, even though I am a huge Science Fiction fan, I went in with so much trepidation because I knew he would spend the first two acts setting up something great and then deliver something kinda meh. Like The Prestige. I think it's a really cool movie for two acts that promises a lot and then the third act comes and I'm like, "Well, that's a shame, guess this one won't be making it into the re-watch bin." To my surprise, while the third act of Interstellar is hardly a classic and it turned out to be exactly what I turned to my buddy and predicted like 10 minutes into the movie, I thought it was probably his best one yet in terms of not being a total letdown.
Regardless, my issues with Nolan are not plot holes nor are they him not knowing anything about medicine I just think he writes and directs 2/3 of good movies and I am always left wishing I had seen the movie the first 2/3 promised.
Interstellar's great but it doesn't have high rewatchability. Also, I didn’t have issues with third acts except for Tenet.

We are in agreement that he's great and can be an auteur so there’s nothing else to debate for me.

WARNING: "High Life" spoilers below
I did not. I actually thought the film was on a trajectory that would lead to something horrible happening with that character, and since my daughter was around the same age, I was just all set with that. Maybe I will pick up where I left off so I won't have to go through some of the earlier scenes again, some of which had me physically pissed off.
So now that I have already told you about
the baby, I just want to say that the baby herself gives such a delightful performance. She is so comfortable with Pattinson and so clearly likes him that I started to think "Does Robert Pattinson have a child?" or "Is Robert Pattinson secretly a baby-whisperer?". Turns out it's the baby of a friend of Pattinson's. I just loved their scenes together. I hope you don't consider it too much of a spoiler if I say there is no baby violence in the film.

Well, Denis is not exactly known for being cheerful, but that doesn't make the movies any less good.
In his defense, Denis had just lost her mother. And while I can't say for sure that's the reason, there is something a bit . . . .I don't know, unfocused or contradictory or something to the way that the negativity in the film is developed.

@Takoma11, totally agree with what you said here.

Love this movie & Pattinson was so lovely with the baby. Huge fan of his.