24th Hall of Fame

Tools    

I just like to warn people who could have potential time constraints.
No worries. I'll drop another review just in case.

Vampyr (contains spoilers)

Vampyr is almost 90 years old, has no monster costumes and has two special effects that barely qualify as such these days, but it still cut through my defenses and chilled me more than several modern horror movies have. I love how it put me in hero Allan Grey's shoes before I realized it. With passions to which this horror movie fan can relate and Julian West's wide eyes and relatable reactions, his fears and desires became mine nearly at frame one. It helps that the movie fulfills those desires at just the right times such as when Allan lends a helping hand to inflicted daughter Léone or when he consults the vampire guide for more instructions. The movie is also a masterclass in simplicity and elegance. I have seen dozens of horror movies and thus believe it will take a lot for each one I see to scare me, but it only took a door swinging open or a shot of a scythe to get my adrenaline flowing or the turning of a gear to bring me relief. Speaking of that scythe, which appropriately graces the movie's HBO Max thumbnail, the movie demonstrates director Dreyer's talent for letting images speak volumes. I'm not sure if it's how he plays with your expectations - a shadow of someone digging a hole is one thing, but showing it in reverse is something else - good timing - I mean, what's more consoling than seeing sunshine through the clouds after what Allan and Léone have been through - or perspective - I'm talking about the "grave cam" - but Dreyer sure had a knack for showing without telling and making the images indelible. Again, Vampyr has no elaborate costumes, makeup or sprays of blood, but it's still one of the best movies I've seen in the horror genre. While I still enjoy seeing such things as much as the next horror fan does, it's not only refreshing to be reminded that a mere shadow or facial expression can scare just as much, but also that they can still scare me.

The final act to OUaTiH is the most emotionally powerful thing I've ever seen Tarantino do. I think OUaTiH is not only one of the best films of the year, but one of the best films of the decade.
Tarantino never moves me like that. I love him, but I love his dialogue. Find him super entertaining and funny. I definitely don't think he's very deep. Jules in Pulp is the closest he comes for me.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
No worries. I'll drop another review just in case.

Vampyr (contains spoilers)

Vampyr is almost 90 years old, has no monster costumes and has two special effects that barely qualify as such these days, but it still cut through my defenses and chilled me more than several modern horror movies have. I love how it put me in hero Allan Grey's shoes before I realized it. With passions to which this horror movie fan can relate and Julian West's wide eyes and relatable reactions, his fears and desires became mine nearly at frame one. It helps that the movie fulfills those desires at just the right times such as when Allan lends a helping hand to inflicted daughter Léone or when he consults the vampire guide for more instructions. The movie is also a masterclass in simplicity and elegance. I have seen dozens of horror movies and thus believe it will take a lot for each one I see to scare me, but it only took a door swinging open or a shot of a scythe to get my adrenaline flowing or the turning of a gear to bring me relief. Speaking of that scythe, which appropriately graces the movie's HBO Max thumbnail, the movie demonstrates director Dreyer's talent for letting images speak volumes. I'm not sure if it's how he plays with your expectations - a shadow of someone digging a hole is one thing, but showing it in reverse is something else - good timing - I mean, what's more consoling than seeing sunshine through the clouds after what Allan and Léone has been through - or perspective - I'm talking about the "grave cam" - but Dreyer sure had a knack for showing without telling and making the images indelible. Again, Vampyr has no elaborate costumes, makeup or sprays of blood, but it's still one of the best movies I've seen in the horror genre. While I still enjoy seeing such things as much as the next horror fan does, it's not only refreshing to be reminded that a mere shadow or facial expression can scare just as much, but also that they can still scare me.
Glad you like it a lot! I remember being very impressed with how well it aged and very impressed by Dreyers direction. Can't wait to see it again.

Tarantino never moves me like that. I love him, but I love his dialogue. Find him super entertaining and funny. I definitely don't think he's very deep. Jules in Pulp is the closest he comes for me.
For me, I don't think his films need to have deep thematic depth to qualify as really good/great films, personally. Oftentimes, I think the style of his films are more than enough to carry them, as I believe is the case with OUaTiH. But yeah, the film is more than just style, of course.

For me, I don't think his films need to have deep thematic depth to qualify as really good/great films, personally. Oftentimes, I think the style of his films are more than enough to carry them, as I believe is the case with OUaTiH. But yeah, the film is more than just style, of course.
I agree whole heartedly. I love how entertaining his films are.

The trick is not minding
OaUaTiH was actually well done, even with the ending, which I enjoyed. I had been less receptive to his westerns, The Hateful 8 and Django Unchained, due to the fact that the violence was too over the top and often existed only to further the plot. So this was a welcome return in my eyes.

OaUaTiH was actually well done, even with the ending, which I enjoyed. I had been less receptive to his westerns, The Hateful 8 and Django Unchained, due to the fact that the violence was too over the top and often existed only to further the plot. So this was a welcome return in my eyes.
I enjoyed those but I also agree. Those are the only two of his I haven't gotten around to rewatching yet.

Everyone just read Takoma's review of Shame and add a half star. That's where I'm at. Thank you.
My holdout on that last star is because I am still grappling a bit with (Sort of spoilers)
WARNING: spoilers below
the way that the break down in communication between the two leads means that at a certain point we are watching them act but without insight into their thoughts or motivations. And I think that this is an intentional part of the film, not an accidental flaw. But while it might be artificial to have conversations between the two, I needed a bit more of that in the final third. I thought the final lines of dialogue from Eva were a great example of how such expressions could fit into the film, especially as the bleak realism gives way to something almost otherworldly.

My holdout on that last star is because I am still grappling a bit with (Sort of spoilers)
the way that the break down in communication between the two leads means that at a certain point we are watching them act but without insight into their thoughts or motivations. And I think that this is an intentional part of the film, not an accidental flaw. But while it might be artificial to have conversations between the two, I needed a bit more of that in the final third. I thought the final lines of dialogue from Eva were a great example of how such expressions could fit into the film, especially as the bleak realism gives way to something almost otherworldly.

Been a couple years since I watched it but I will keep this in mind on my rewatch and respond.

In a Glass Cage, 1986

Another rewatch.

The film begins with a man named Klaus (Gunter Meisner) torturing and murdering a young man as he is watched by an unseen figure. Years later, Klaus is paralyzed, kept alive only by an iron lung that churns away in the large home that he shares with his wife, the maid, and his daughter Rena (Gisele Echevarria). One day a mysterious man named Angelo (David Sust) appears, ostensibly to act as a nurse for Klaus. It is immediately obvious that Angelo has some past relationship to Klaus, and as time goes on he begins to exert an influence over the house.

This is a nasty film, and there are certain sequences that are very difficult to watch. Much of the film centers on the discussion of or perpetration of sexual violence and torture against boys. This is my second time watching the movie, and it was interesting to try and remember how I felt the first time I saw it, over 15 years ago, when I had just graduated from college. I had done a lot of academic work related to the Spanish Civil War and Spanish Involvement in World War 2), and I loved seeing how some of that history was explored in films (including things like The Devil's Backbone).

The film explores the notion of the way that violence begets violence, and addresses the way that abuse can become fetishized or internalized by its victims. Klaus's crimes are revisited and re-imagined with Angelo's arrival, and the movie sets up multiple symmetries and echoes between the original crimes and their new iterations. Klaus, alive but turned into a passive observer, exists in a strange place between victim and perpetrator. This includes echoes such as
the way that the first boy who ties gasps just the way that Klaus does when removed from the iron lung

The performances in the film are solid, including Sust as Angelo in his first feature film. This includes the performances of the child actors (more on that later), and the whole movie trembles with a fraught energy that means the entire 100 minutes is incredibly tense. There are maybe 3 minutes of happiness or joy or lightness. There are maybe a few moments of dark humor, especially as Angelo begins to transform the house into a literal war zone, but it's never winky enough to pull you from the sense of doom.

One thing that does slightly alleviate the brutality of the film's content is the way that it begins to scale into a sort of larger allegory as it goes on. The relationship between the war and violence and the lineage of violence between oppressors and the oppressed starts to take on a clear thematic presentation. There is a degree of craft and care in the narrative itself and way that the different sequence are filmed that lifts it a bit from feeling like exploitation. It's a fine line, though, and I could easily see another viewer feeling that it crossed that line.

So let's talk about the kids.

The very first sequence of the film graphically shows the torture and murder of a boy who is probably no older than 14 or 15, and many other sequences in the film either graphically describe or show the sexual abuse, torture, and/or murder of boys, sometimes in the context of WW2 medical "experimentation". There is a disclaimer at the very end of the film that all of the sequences filmed with children, "despite looking real", were filmed with consideration of ethics, and the statement is followed by the authorization of a child psychologist. When I listened to the commentary on the film [b]Mysterious Skin[/B, I was amazed when the director described the way that they kept the children from being involved by using editing tricks and special effects. In a scene where a character touches a child's belly, the director notes, "That's not the kid, that's actually a mannequin." Watching In a Glass Cage this time with an eye toward what the child actors were actually doing, you can tell that some tricks were used in this film. But that said, the child actors (I suspect that the person in the first scene was a bit older and possibly even a young-looking adult, considering there is nudity, but the other children are clearly much younger) are actually manhandled and partially disrobed on camera. To me, as I said before, the film barely lands on the "right side" of the question of how child actors and child characters are treated on screen.

I cannot say whether it was the way that the writer/director wanted things, or whether it was a concession to the limits of what you can put on screen, but I did think it was interesting that
Angelo's fixation is on death and not the sexual abuse. While we learn that Klaus frequently raped/abused the children he victimized, it's interesting that Angelo is focused mostly on killing them. His sexual fixation is on Klaus himself, but he seems to primarily draw excitement from the purely violent aspect of the crimes and not the more sexualized ones.

Something I noticed very strongly this time around was the way that the film examines the power of gaze. In the very first sequence, it is the stare of his victim that agitates Klaus. Throughout the film Klaus is forced to witness much of the action through a mirror that is mounted on his iron lung--yet another symbol of the way that he becomes a second-hand part of the crimes. We learn that the gaze of his victims both repulsed and excited him. It is interesting to watch Angelo's own sight-lines as the film progresses, as well as those of the daughter, Rena.

This is a hard film, and it definitely won't be for everyone. The subject matter is obviously very disturbing. But I was impressed with both the craft and the message of the film.

The Day of the Jackal (1973)

August, 1962, was a stormy time for France. Many people felt that President Charles de Gaulle had betrayed the country by giving independence to Algeria. Extremists, mostly from the army swore to kill him in revenge. They banded together in an underground movement and called themselves the OAS.
[From the opening scene of The Day of the Jackal]

Those words that are spoken in the beginning of the film struck me with a blanket of despair. Had I watched this movie a mere 11 days ago I would've viewed it as an interesting thriller and nothing more. But after the attack on the U.S. Capitol, I viewed the message of this film as an ominous reminder of the specter of fascism in the world. Men of good faith don't change politics at the end of a gun barrel and yet as this fictional film pointed out, it has happened all too often.

Especially hard for me to watch was the last scene of the President of France at the national parade, while a loan gunman seeks to change politics with a bullet. I wish events like this were limited only to fictional movies, at least I can wish that.

A very timely and well made nomination.

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot from 2021-01-16 18-11-40.png
Views:	312
Size:	191.7 KB
ID:	71831  

Tak tearing through these with a Veangence
I'm about at the limit of ones I can stream for free. I've put in requests for two of them from my library. Money is kind of tight so I'd prefer not to spend too much on rentals, but at the same time I don't like downloading from websites. (Please play the world's tiniest violin for me now).

I'm about at the limit of ones I can stream for free. I've put in requests for two of them from my library. Money is kind of tight so I'd prefer not to spend too much on rentals, but at the same time I don't like downloading from websites. (Please play the world's tiniest violin for me now).
If you need help with finding free streaming links which don't require you to download the film, let me know and I'll be happy to pm you with some.

EDIT: This applies for everyone here, in fact.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
as SpelingError remarked, just let us know a film you're looking for and we can help with a link to safe, non-ad streaming site.

Also, EXCELLET reviews, Takoma11!! Haven't read the last group since I haven't watched those films yet but thoroughly enjoyed the ones I have.

Watched Vampyr (liked it) will review tomorrow

Barry Lyndon, 1975

I watched Barry Lyndon years ago and I was not a fan. But enough time had passed that I couldn't really remember the specifics beyond not liking Ryan O'Neal's lead performance. This time around I liked it better (I'd originally given it a 6/10 on IMDb, LOL), but it wasn't entirely smooth sailing.

Barry (Ryan O'Neal) is a young Irishman. The film follows his many adventures and misadventures as he fights for the affection of the woman he wishes to marry, serves in multiple armies, and seeks to find love and a title among English nobility.

This movie is three flippin' hours long. I was set to give a massage and I asked "Hey, do you mind if I put on this movie in the background?", and so that was how I watched the first 80 minutes of the movie. And honestly, it was probably to the movie's favor that I approached it that way. Watching from a more removed state, I was able to better set aside the things I didn't like (O'Neal still stinks) and focus more on what I did like.

This time around (and admittedly watching on a larger TV), I was much more taken with the painterly composition of many of the shots. The movie, whatever else my complaints, looks great. The colors are excellent, the sense of depth and scope. The movie feels epic and never more so than when Kubrick lets the land and the sky take over the top 2/3 of the frame. The locations and sets are also grand in color and size. It is a lush film that feels dimensional.

My struggle with the film is that Barry is just such a tool. He is selfish and impulsive and the film feels like three hours of watching him ruin other peoples' lives. Barry is a cad, and not a fun one. There are a handful of moments of genuine emotion from him that allow you to connect to his character, but it's not enough across the space of so many hours. By two hours I was done spending time with him . . . and then spent another hour with him.

Also, and I realize that this is a minor complaint, WHAT ON EARTH WAS HAPPENING WITH THE CROTCH OF HIS PANTS?!?! He spends so much of the film looking like he's wearing a diaper backwards under his pants, and at first I thought that it must just be the style of the clothes, but no one else in the film seemed to have diaper crotch!

I had a very mixed response to the pacing of the film, and this extends to individual scenes. The camera often lingers and sequences often go on for a long while as characters do things like drink a cup of water or walk down a hall. One part of me kind of appreciated that it was "the pace of life" and gave you a sense of how long these characters were interacting with each other instead of cutting it short with crisp edits. But the downside is that the film is very long and at a certain point I felt like "Okay I get it!! They are walking down a hall! NEXT! SCENE! PLEASE!"

The person on the massage table also had some hot takes, which I feel compelled to share:
1) (sitting up to look at the screen for a moment about an hour into the film) "Oh, god, is that Barry?! His face is so punchable!"
2) "Is this pipe music going to last much longer? I feel like it's been playing forever."
3) "Is this the same narrator who narrates Watership Down?!" (It was--she has a great ear for that stuff).

Then we come back to O'Neal in the lead role. I read that Kubrick had to cast a top 10 box office actor in the role to get funding and . . .fine. But whatever the reason--that's who is in the movie for all three hours. He is simply a black hole of charisma and so bland. It's hard to even feel strong emotions toward him, positive or negative. I would just feel irritation or annoyance or maybe a smidgen of pity. Give me someone I can love. Give me someone I can hate. Give me someone complicated. But don't give me a blank slate. I was willing to overlook the absurdity of everyone calling him a "boy" for the first half hour or so, but there is nothing to the performance and Barry just remains a faintly irritating, diaper-crotched enigma. O'Neal's smarm can work (as in Paper Moon), but not here.

I liked it more this time around, but the combination of a flat lead performance and a lengthy runtime still make it a less than stellar viewing for me.