Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

“I was cured, all right!”

Concert: ★★★★★ - A perfect setlist with lots of great moments; Wait Outside it's even better live.
Documentary: ★★★★ - Simplistic and very informative. Directed by Anders Nyström (guitars) it tells the interesting stories from the first 20 years of the band. A gift for fans!

Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle (2017)

The Beales of Grey Gardens

Don't waste your time with this... 99% of it was already in "Grey Gardens"
I still liked it ‘cos they were so fascinating.

Briefly, what is it about?

Terrific movie. Strange & unusual. Really good acting from actors I have never heard of. Was terrified they would hurt the goat, but they didn’t. I highly recommend this.

Mondo Hollywood (Robert Carl Cohen, 1967)

And people call me crazy

Briefly, what is it about?
It was about the lady, a gynecologist, trying to publish her book about sexual problems of men and women under communist Poland and the struggle during the whole process. The government didn't want to give permission for publication labeling it as sleazy.

Morocco (1930)

From the passions list, I thought this was an ok movie mostly because of Marlene Dietrich. I also enjoyed Gary Cooper in it, but it seemed this was before his prime ability. The sound was a little rough, and it really made me consider the advances in film between the beginning and the end of the 30's. I liked the ending.

Traces of Sin (2017)

We watched Traces of Sin last night, which was very impressive. The opening sequence set the mood, and Polish cinematographer Piotr Niemyjski kept the tone throughout, supported by tasteful music cues by Takashi Ohmama.

It's surprising that "Traces" is director Kei Ishikawa's first feature. Do we have another budding Orson Welles? This guy knows what he's doing, and I thing he's sure to get international recognition.

Hikari Mitsushima, who plays the sister of the protagonist, really does the heavy lifting in the story, but everyone in the cast was first rate. It seems to me that there is increasing use of drawn out pauses in dialogue in order to create the atmosphere of importance. I've noticed the device in many American films as well. But the pacing didn't drag the film, and the two hour running time went by quickly.

The story was complex, but understandable, as long as one could keep the characters straight. Much of the story was related by use of frequent flashbacks placed at dramatic moments. And they seemed to gather steam, building to a climax which included several twists. It really was very clever. Westerners are not used to recognizing Japanese names, or even unique physical characteristics, so that takes some getting used to.

A couple of observations: We'd anticipated a hard R film, but in actuality it would likely be rated PG-13 in the States. It was refreshing to see everyone wearing nice clothing, rather than the rags and slob outfits we've become accustomed to here. It reflects on the admirable self-respect of the Japanese.

This is a first rate film, and we'll be looking for more from Kei Ishikawa.

Doc's rating: 9/10

Most interesting man in the world
The brotherhood of Satan 1971. 7 / 10

" A family is trapped in a desert town by a cult of senior-citizens who recruit the town's children to worship Satan."

- weird/fun movie,the old lady
With " the baby " gives a good performance

Red Sparrow (2018)

There's infinity of spy movies there and this one is unfortunately below the average. That goes to acting too.

movies can be okay...
Eyes Wide Shut (1999) -

Could this be Kubrick's answer, to all of the conspiracies about him and the moon landing situation
"A film has to be a dialogue, not a monologue — a dialogue to provoke in the viewer his own thoughts, his own feelings. And if a film is a dialogue, then it’s a good film; if it’s not a dialogue, it’s a bad film."
- Michael "Gloomy Old Fart" Haneke

The Bishop Misbehaves (Ewald André Dupont, 1935)
+
But thankfully far, far less heinously than some of his brethren have