Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Guardians of the galaxy. Cant rate it because I couldnt watch it. The colour editing made my eyeballs bleed.
I saw something recently with Al Pacino where he was supposed to have complimented the film. I mean I don't think of him even being aware of such things and neither he nor Robert De Niro have ever really ventured into the fantasy and science-fiction area – which is a shame. I liked it that Al was taking an interest though because it's my genre.

I haven't seen it but I imagine it's a bit too fantastical for my tastes. Saying that I quite liked Hellboy.

You can't win an argument just by being right!
I saw something recently with Al Pacino where he was supposed to have complimented the film. I mean I don't think of him even being aware of such things and neither he nor Robert De Niro have ever really ventured into the fantasy and science-fiction area – which is a shame. I liked it that Al was taking an interest though because it's my genre.

I haven't seen it but I imagine it's a bit too fantastical for my tastes. Saying that I quite liked Hellboy.
I loved hellboy (huge crush on rony perlman). Dont let me put you off, See. Mr D loved it. I;m just particular about coloour.

I loved hellboy (huge crush on rony perlman).
He was great – well, when is he not ? Interesting that I know the new Hellboy from The Equalizer, an actor called David Harbour.

Dont let me put you off, See. Mr D loved it. I;m just particular about coloour.
Well there's plenty of it. I'd probably find Avatar a bit like that too if I'd watched it in one sitting. Haven't seen the whole thing even now.

Twice upon a time

9/10

I watched what said it was a reconstructed version. I know there was issue with the original version being pg but it not dping well so they made a version with R rated language which was superior but done behind the directors back and he didnt like that.

What didn't you like about the colours? I personally enjoyed the colour quite a bit.
I've always noticed colour in film but I think heavy saturations like that started nauseating me when I was going through chemo. It zaps your brain. I think it also affected my eyes. As I said to See, dont let me put you off, Cos. It;s just a hang up I have. I definitely get a physical reaction in my gut from certain palettes. Mr D thinks I'm insane. He might be onto something

See, I;m big on blue and green so loved Avatar but I get your point.

I've always noticed colour in film but I think heavy saturations like that started nauseating me when I was going through chemo. It zaps your brain. I think it also affected my eyes. As I said to See, dont let me put you off, Cos. It;s just a hang up I have. I definitely get a physical reaction in my gut from certain palettes. Mr D thinks I'm insane. He might be onto something

See, I;m big on blue and green so loved Avatar but I get your point.
That's fascinating about your response to colour during and since your treatment. I've never heard of it before.

That's fascinating about your response to colour during and since your treatment. I've never heard of it before.
Yeah out of curiosity I must ask my oncologist next time I see him. I only just thought during this conversation about when the change seemed to happen. Chemo does lots of weird and wonderful things to different people so this is just my hunch. Really brightly coloured food can also make me feel off just by looking at it.

The Hudsucker Proxy (1994) -

Originally Posted by Iroquois
To be fair, you have to have a fairly high IQ to understand MovieForums.com.

Quai Des Orfevres (1947)

French film from the top 100 noirs list, although to me it wasn't a noir. It is from the director who made the more famous The Wages of Fear and Les Diaboliques, and I ended up liking this one more than either of those. The first 20 minutes show no clue to any type of crime film. A man is jealous because of the male attention his wife is getting as she tries to further her career in theater. I would have been happy with nothing much more happening than that as I was really enjoying it. A murder happens, and then we get a strong police procedural with a few twists. I thought it was a very good movie.

Quai Des Orfevres (1947)

French film from the top 100 noirs list, although to me it wasn't a noir. It is from the director who made the more famous The Wages of Fear and Les Diaboliques, and I ended up liking this one more than either of those. The first 20 minutes show no clue to any type of crime film. A man is jealous because of the male attention his wife is getting as she tries to further her career in theater. I would have been happy with nothing much more happening than that as I was really enjoying it. A murder happens, and then we get a strong police procedural with a few twists. I thought it was a very good movie.
Did you see "Le Corbeau" by Clouzot? If not, I highly recommend it.

Wind River (2017)

Before the Devil Knows You're Dead (2007)

Colossal (2016- 2017)

The Belko Experiment (2016- 2017)

The Circle (2017)

Dunkirk (2017)

The Babadook (2014)

This is a first-rate horror movie but maybe not in the way that most people might expect. First let me state right up front that actress Essie Davis is freaking phenomenal in this movie. I've rarely seen such realistic acting from someone who gives it all she's got from start-to-finish. If I'd seen this when it was first released, I'd have assumed she'd at least be nominated for an Oscar. Too bad she wasn't. But she won quite a few awards around the globe for her performance. Bravo.

Davis plays Amelia, who has lost her husband in a car wreck on the way to the hospital to give birth to her son, Samuel. Several years later we see him played as a young boy by Noah Wiseman. Samuel is afraid of monsters so it's up to Amelia to soothe him at night by checking the closet and under the bed for beasts, then reading him a nice bedtime story, or at least one where the monster gets his in the end. One night he picks a book she's seemingly never seen called "Mr. Babadook," which starts out all right but in the end seems to imply that the Babadook is coming to get Samuel and his mom. He freaks out, naturally. She puts the book out of reach but notices it keeps showing back up. The book seems to change its writing into threats toward mother and son. Samuel is a disturbed young child and he throws fits and tantrums. He is at first a very hard character to like. I wanted him to just walk off the screen and go visit a distant relative. But such is the genius of writer and director Jennifer Kent in making you loathe this little boy. At first. There will come a switch. But before that, Samuel is convinced that the Babadook is coming for them and drives his mother to distraction. The movie subtly moves from the mother being irritated to the extreme by Samuel to her believing that the Babadook is real.

Another smart move of this movie is making us wonder if the title character is real. She sees it at one point and the book and her son tell her that the Babadook is in her and one scene hints strongly at this. But for me, this movie
WARNING: spoilers below
portrayed a person (Amelia) slowly descending from depression into mental illness. The movie slowly turns the screws from her son being annoying to me fearing for his safety from the mother. I've seen mental illness close-up from someone I loved (they have since passed away) and Essie Davis must have studied mental illness very closely to prepare for her role because she does things that are completely realistic and reminded me of my own encounter with this horrible illness. Because she was so good, I'm convinced that this is really what the movie was portraying. Yet, the director still plants some doubts in your head.

There are moments where the boy sees things he shouldn't be seeing in reality and we see things that both mother and son see that shouldn't be real. Are they? Depite what I said above in the spoilers, you are never spoonfed exactly what is real but you get a pretty good idea. Some have complained about the ending not being exactly clear but I thought it was. For me, it was
psychological terror at its best, with the mother eventually using the "monster" as a coping mechanism to try to control her own fragile mental state.

Not a pleasant movie at all, but one I'm so glad I watched. It was expertly made and surely will be considered a classic movie in the years to come.

movies can be okay...

If there is one word out there that could perfectly describe this film, it would be predictable, I mean there is a definite problem when you are able to literally and correctly guess how the last shot of the film will pan out, an hour before it happens.

On the other hand, Mickey Rourke was really good as the wrestler, without him, the movie would easily crumble into pieces. The cinematography as well was pretty good, but other than that, there isn't much to write home about in here.

One more thing, the daughter of Mickey Rourke's character was just like her performance, AWFUL! I couldn't stand her whatsoever, not even for a second, and I'm not even sure if Darren Aronofsky is aware of how much of a self absorbed brat she came off as, she was without a doubt the worst thing about the film, everytime she came on screen all I wanted to do is punch her in her damn face, but only assuming she has a sex change operation in the time it takes for my fist to connect, because making jokes that include violence against women is wrong

Anyway, I'm in a weird spot with Aronofsky right now, it seems like the only kind of movies he can produce are either 10/10's or 6/10's, so it will be quite intresting to see where Mother! will fit in his filmography.

"A film has to be a dialogue, not a monologue — a dialogue to provoke in the viewer his own thoughts, his own feelings. And if a film is a dialogue, then it’s a good film; if it’s not a dialogue, it’s a bad film."
- Michael "Gloomy Old Fart" Haneke

The Babadook (2014)

I loved this movie. Knew nothing about it except it was horror genre and ended up watching it 4 times back to back.

Yes your thought on what it is about is correct and Jennifer Kent confirmed it, but it can be viewed however the audience sees fit.

As for Samuel, my husband didnt like him but I loved him. Phenomenal little actor. The scene with the

catapult cracked me up. Such an aussie thing to do to use a cricket ball in a movie to whack your mum in the head. And I am yet to forgive that bitch for killing the dog. I just cant help it. That scene made me scream a very bad word or two.

Great review, dad.

This might just do nobody any good.

It's really impressive that a movie about wizards chasing mythical creatures around a period setting could be this dull and numbing.