Movie scenes that brought tears to your eyes?

Tools    

Legend in my own mind
Pixar' gonna come up so...

Ditto on "Seeking a Friend...".

"The sun ain't gonna shine anymore..."
This. Asbolutely brutal.

Very few films have brought me to tears and some of them have been surprising, like 'The Rookie'.

I had tears in my eyes for most of Schindler's list

movies can be okay...
Pick one Pixar movie and explain to me exactly how it failed to fulfill the director's intentions.
The most recent one, Inside Out:
At one point, the main girl orders broccoli Pizza and everyone in her brain finds it disgusting, why would there be a conflict between how the characters in her brain are feeling and how she's feeling ? That goes against the logic of the movie.

This is just one example, if you want me to go in depth, this is not the thread for that, nor do I have the time, but you get the point.
"A film has to be a dialogue, not a monologue — a dialogue to provoke in the viewer his own thoughts, his own feelings. And if a film is a dialogue, then it’s a good film; if it’s not a dialogue, it’s a bad film."
- Michael "Gloomy Old Fart" Haneke

Pick one Pixar movie and explain to me exactly how it failed to fulfill the director's intentions.
The most recent one, Inside Out:
At one point, the main girl orders broccoli Pizza and everyone in her brain finds it disgusting, why would there be a conflict between how the characters in her brain are feeling and how she's feeling ? That goes against the logic of the movie.
But going by your definition, you must assume that the director's intention with this scene was to create conflict. However it seems to me that the intent was to poke fun at San Francisco, which it succeeded in doing.

movies can be okay...
But going by your definition, you must assume that the director's intention with this scene was to create conflict. However it seems to me that the intent was to poke fun at San Francisco, which it succeeded in doing.
No, I understood that the intent was to poke fun at San Francisco, I'm just pointing out that by doing that, the film-makers (unintentionally) created a plothole.

Not necessarily. I've gone into a small by the slice pizza shop in San Francisco and found only one kind on the menu.

Regardless it's a really insignificant detail and I fail to see how it in any way undermines the director's intentions.

The Bucket List (2007)

The scene where Jack Nicholson kisses his granddaughter for the first time, and its on his bucket list to kiss the most beautiful girl in the world.

movies can be okay...
Not necessarily. I've gone into a small by the slice pizza shop in San Francisco and found only one kind on the menu.

Regardless it's a really insignificant detail and I fail to see how it in any way undermines the director's intentions.
The restaurant she was in had more than one kind on the menu. And even if it didn't, why would she buy something that all of the characters in her brain find disgusting.

The director clearly didn't intend for there to be a plothole, that's a flaw, therefore it's not a flawless film. Period.

Furthermore, I would like to make my definition of a flawless film even more clear, it obviously has to have excellent acting, directing, writing, cinematography...it has to refrain from plot conveniences, cheese, continuity and factual errors...literally everything has to be on point, to the point where any criticism one can have would be subjective, because the director intended specifically for such and such to be as it is, and when I say that, I mean that it would be an illegitimate criticism to call it flawed just because you don't like it.

The restaurant she was in had more than one kind on the menu.
Show me where that was spelled out.

The director clearly didn't intend for there to be a plothole, that's a flaw, therefore it's not a flawless film. Period.
I think it's a stretch to call such a minor, insignificant inconsistency a "plot hole."

it obviously has to have excellent acting, directing, writing, cinematography
Except all of these things can only be judged subjectively. There isn't a total consensus on what constitutes "excellent" acting, directing, writing, or cinematography. It's all up to personal preference.

movies can be okay...
Show me where that was spelled out.
She could of ordered plain cheese....

I think it's a stretch to call such a minor, insignificant inconsistency a "plot hole."
A plothole is literally an inconsistency in a story. How can it be insignificant, when I as a viewer noticed it immediately. If you're not satisfied with the example I have given, check the goofs page of the movie on IMDB.

Except all of these things can only be judged subjectively. There isn't a total consensus on what constitutes "excellent" acting, directing, writing, or cinematography. It's all up to personal preference.
Mhmmm...You're right. But I'd still say there's a certain degree of professional standards expected from them, to at least be good.

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
hrm.
I'm with Captain on the end of Watchmen. Also, I think the last 20 minutes or so of The Boy in the Striped Pajamas. The English Patient. My Blue Valentine.

For me, the tear-jerkers are always for characters either of absolute principles or naive idealism and ignorance that are then forcefully made aware of their misunderstandings and buckle or then choose to stand for those principles in spite of everything around them proving the opposite.

In the case of Rorschach, he believed in absolutes so much that he was willing to die for it. It was not a simple blind ideology without consideration to other possibilities. In that scene, he knew exactly what his choice meant: sacrificing world stability and even his life for a pure resolution of principle. He knew the others would not allow it, but that sin would be on their shoulders. He knew he would be killed, but he would die for principle. To me, that is terribly romantic and breaks my heart every time I see it.

As to The Boy in the Striped Pajamas, the pure innocence of the friend was tragic. This world will destroy innocence. Realizing as a viewer what begins to play out near the end and being able to do nothing about it is both terrifying and numbing because while I tried to empathize and encourage the boy's innocence hoping against hope that his innocence might actually save him (if by no other way than the writer giving the kid a break), I knew that that would not play out. He had to experience what was coming; and I as an adult having gone through my own pains and loss had to just accept this and allow it. Like a bird pushing the young out of the nest to either fly or die, life is life and life is death. And it's indiscriminate. I began to see where the story was going, I doubted in hope, then I simply submitted to the inevitable. That, to me, was a gut punch that I knew would come, but had to accept. Bleh.

My Blue Valentine was pure torture for me. Hope, idealism, naive dedication to a principle, or whatever you wish to project, the entire movie devastated me. By the end I was literally physically exhausted and in tears.

All in all, I think the most painful movies/scenes/stories/character decisions are the ones that I can relate to from experience in hope and unrequited love. I'm an idealist for the most part, and despite my injuries through life, I always seem to find way through it all to the other side. But these movies are constant naggers to the possible reality that idealism is a dead end game. They make me question my own principles as exercise in resolve. Or at least in consideration. Stories are inspired by experience. Someone has experienced these pains. Someone has attempted something pure and good and has only failed. That seems to echo through story after story be it film, theater, or music. So watching or even listening to these stories can often times unsettle me deeply. Ideally, that becomes inspiration in and of itself for me to create things. Or some day it becomes a one-way ticket to cynicism and outrage?

lol. Yeah. This is the ***** that goes through my head during movies and music. Obsession is fun!!1!

I Enjoy Working With People
Such an underrated movie.

Yes, The Incredible Shrinking Man is an underrated movie. And the ending monologue, which is among the most poignant and unusual of all time, was written by the director Jack Arnold - not the writer of the rest of the movie screenplay, Richard Matheson. Arnold had to fight to be able to keep the ending as he wrote it, rather than the ending preferred by the studio, but he prevailed after test-screenings with his ending provoked positive reactions from the audiences.

Matheson said he wasn't happy with the ending at first, but came to appreciate it, and the movie as a whole, after being urged by his son to consider how unusual the movie, and the ending, were for the time the movie was released.

You can't win an argument just by being right!
Even that photo of him watching puts grit in my eyes.

One that came to mind today was Mary seeing Jesus struggling with the cross in The Passion of the Christ, intercut with a flashback to show her memory of going to help him when he fell as a child — that really upset me and it's upsetting me recalling it.

Similarly, there's a scene in Apocalypto where

WARNING: spoilers below
the mother and son are trying to get out of their hiding place by throwing a piece of wood upwards and it hits the boy's foot and he starts crying (coping with the human sacrifice was a cinch ).

Masterpiece of a movie. Cried myself blind when Umberto lost his little dog. Later reunited, but a very sad poignant movie.

goose being killed and maverick holding him in the water, in top gun., i really liked goose s character and it was a shame he was gone