The 11th Hall of Fame

Tools    

See,that's the problem about making exceptions... also, though I can partially see how it worked with the Docs HoF, I see no reason not just to participate as a joker without nominating anything and then watching all the movies and possibly get the chance to vote in the end. That would have been my ruling at least.

But there will always be problems... I mean, HoFs and the likes are all based on trust... people who nominate stuff they haven't seen or don't watch the movies are freaking a*sholes, but we can't do nothing about it really. We can tell people they have to do write-ups, but honestly it wouldn't be hard to pull a good write-up out of available material online.

It gets me mad that there is people doing sh*t like that and why they want to do such stupidity I don't know... but that's how it is.

You don't have to if you don't want to, as i said some don't. Also if there's a film you've seen recent enough or enough times that there's no point in re-watching it you don't have to either. For example somehow i've managed to watch Moonrise Kingdom three times within a year, the way i see it all a fourth watch could do is hurt my enjoyment of it so i'm not bothering with it.

Cricket and Guap did it for the Docs Hof, they wanted to join to get ideas for the Docs Countdown which was coming up at the time but neither had seen alot of them so they nominated ones they wanted to see anyway. I think it's fine in those circumstances,...
I think that's fine too.

Cricket nominated a film in the Silent Hof, that he hadn't seen and I was very happy to watch it. He's a good Hof member and always completes the Hofs. So no worries.

If i was in that HOF i would have had to do the same thing. I would've chosen Sunrise if it hadn't been picked, or something else by Murnau, Eisenstein or Keaton.

Actually i could've picked City Lights which is one of my favourite films, just realizing that now haha.

GOOD BYE, LENIN!

Films based on factual events are never easy to execute, especially because people are often devided both emotionally and politically, which makes it hard to find the golden path between something that is purely subjective and objective safe to tell. 'Good Bye, Lenin!' takes place in the late 1989 and covers the fall of the Berlin wall, as well as the liberation, modernization and globalization of Germany, notably East Germany. Another glowing problem with adapting actual events into cinema, is how you choose to tell the story, so that it is clear and consistent without being convoluded, though you also want to make sure you aren't too straight-forward, explaining everything, so that you do not bore nor insult the audience that lived through it or had enough knowledge of it beforehand...

Thankfully, 'Good Bye, Lenin!' does a fine job explaining the situation, without ever feeling like boring exposition, and even more so equips itself with a nicely balanced satirical input. The central plot is a perfect set-up for satire and the idea of it all is quite brilliant. Germany did change drastically in just a few years, months even, so the idea of someone falling into a coma and missing it all is hilarious. Generally, the story was nicely paced and the humor well placed, but unfortunately not all characters were equally interesting and not every sub-plot was worth pointing out. The plot about the father felt tacked on and generally unneccessary, though it could have been a nice addition if it had been developed better. I feel like the character of the mother could have used a little more background story, since the story is very much based on her personality as well as her social, political and personal point of view. The girlfriend of our main character was probably the flattest of all and the boyfriend of the sister wasn't miles ahead either. I enjoyed the friend with a movie director dream and that created some good fun apart from being a prominent part in the story.

Overall, this was an interesting, amusing and thought stimulating film about changing times, nostalgia and different viewpoints. It was a fun movie to follow and I thought they balanced the satire pretty much perfectly. I loved a handful of selected scenes, in particular the one with the leg-less statue of Lenin being flown away by a helicopter, which was a nice metaphor for what was going on and what the movie wanted to put forward. I also loved the great lengths of which the main character had to go through to create this illusion or alternate world for her mother, which in turn turned out to be a bigger personal journey than he originally intended.

+

- Totally out of context, the part about the main character going to great lengths to keep things hidden and create a false reality reminded me of the brilliant Danish comedy called 'Lotto' (Lottery). It is about a couple who wins the lottery with the ticket from the company lotto pool and decides to keep the money for themselves. Hilarious movie, though without nearly as much depth as 'Good Bye, Lenin!'...

Great write-up!

I started to read the post when the time stamp read "1 minute ago", and the picture was working then. It's still working for me now as well. Strange.

I loved a handful of selected scenes, in particular the one with the leg-less statue of Lenin being flown away by a helicopter, which was a nice metaphor for what was going on and what the movie wanted to put forward
I really liked that as well. I think of that scene whenever Lenin comes up in conversation, or I see a quote from him posted on the internet haha.

One of my favourite scenes in the film that I don't think anyone has mentioned yet (spoilers for the few of you who haven't seen it), is when Alex is showing his mom that final broadcast they made. Christiane is not watching the tv at all, because she's admiring her son instead. You can tell in that scene that she knows, and that she appreciates all the effort he put into the whole charade. For some reason I find it really touching, and a little heartbreaking as well, considering the event that follows.

I really liked that as well. I think of that scene whenever Lenin comes up in conversation, or I see a quote from him posted on the internet haha.

One of my favourite scenes in the film that I don't think anyone has mentioned yet (spoilers for the few of you who haven't seen it), is when Alex is showing his mom that final broadcast they made. Christiane is not watching the tv at all, because she's admiring her son instead. You can tell in that scene that she knows, and that she appreciates all the effort he put into the whole charade. For some reason I find it really touching, and a little heartbreaking as well, considering the event that follows.
Yeah, that's a really nice touch as well.

THE DEAD GIRL

I saw this a few years ago and was surprised to not even having heard of it before considering all the famous names in it.I dont like usually like "mainstream" movies like this,or atleast they dont stick the way more raw and independent movies do.But I did really love this movie and one of the reasons is the ending scene which i found really chilling,knowing what happens to her next. I loved how they started out with her body and saved her story to last-that way you not only know what happens to her but those around her aswell,which some of you didnt like but for that made her segment even sadder.
I agree with some of you that didnt like the first part,i didnt have a problem with it but i wasnt a fan of date scene.But thats a woman so broken she cant handle normal affection which sort of also connects her to the dead girl.My favourite part is that of the sister-who cant get on with her life because of her missing sister,the sadness of actually hoping the dead girl was her sister just to get closure and how the little she was able to build her life together whilst she thought she had found her collapsed when it turned out it wasnt her.a very small glimpse of a pain too many have to endure. We never find out wether or not they end up finding her sister,which to me is perfect because the uncertainty is part of the segment-the never ending hunt for someone who might not even exist anymore.I also like the segment of the wife.
though i hated her.I know alot of elderly couples like them,where they bicker all the time and she resents him-and you wonder why she doesnt just leave? Starting your life over,at any age is no joke and too scary for most.Her burning all the evidence of her husbands crimes is understandable but not forgivable.

I think Brittany Murphy was great in this character,messed up girls was always her specialty,im sad shes not around anymore.

If anybody's reviews aren't in the first post tell me and i'll add them. Don't know if i've missed any more, as well as Topsy's Flowers of War one i forgot to add i just noticed i hadn't added my own Kiss Kiss Bang Bang one.

Me neither, it had a limited release in theatres. According to wiki:

It only ran for two weeks in US first-run theaters, and earned nearly all its revenue from overseas release