Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Very few Hitchcock films answer "basic questions", and if they do, the questions are largely irrelevant to enjoying the film. Hitchcock films do use an apparent structure based on plot, but they're presented as dreams or nightmares, and that's why you can be [needlessly, I believe] frustrated by a lack of logic.
Chasing the McGuffin which is sometimes not the point at all.

Yesterday, Hazel the reviewing dog and I watched X-Men: Apocalypse. She gave it 3.5 out of 4 stars, I gave it 3.0 so the adjusted score is 3.3

D.E.B.S. (2004)

Cheesy spy pastiche with lesbian romance. Enjoyably daft and has a great soundtrack. A definite candidate for next time we have a guilty pleasures countdown.

Nice to see some love for DEBS.

I have to return some videotapes...
I think it's a bit harsh to say Robocop isn't a cinematic achievement, whilst I don't love it as much as some on here, I think it's a good film, and I'd argue even from an artistic viewpoint that it's quite a good cinematic achievement. It's an interesting product of it's time, of an auteur, and a nice play around with the political action film and sci-fi genres.
Cinematic achievement I meant groundbreaking, it uses effects that were already established in Terminator (1984) with stop motion in the foreground. It also uses a lot of the same effects when showing RoboCop without his helmet. I also think it's a good film, but I wouldn't say it belongs in a

The Imitation Game (2014)

Cinematic achievement I meant groundbreaking, it uses effects that were already established in Terminator (1984) with stop motion in the foreground. It also uses a lot of the same effects when showing RoboCop without his helmet. I also think it's a good film, but I wouldn't say it belongs in a
What makes American Psycho a groundbreaking cinematic achievement, because i assume you give that
? Just curious.

I have to return some videotapes...
What makes American Psycho a groundbreaking cinematic achievement, because i assume you give that
? Just curious.
I think it's the perfect psychological thriller, the way it blurs the line between reality and what's in his head is masterful. I don't know if it's a cinematic achievement, but I believe it's the best of it's kind.

Under the Skin (2013)

It really surprised me.

The Diary Of Anne Frank (1959) -

Very good film. I am of course aware of Anne Franks story yet i haven't read the book, so i kept interested throughout thanks to seeing a complete picture. It is just so horrific to think that human beings could do this to each other. I think that the situation is made all the more tragic by the matter of fact way this is presented, there's not much melodrama. The scene near the start when Mr Frank explains how they will not be allowed to make a sound between 8AM and 6PM pretty much sets the tone for how the rest of this will be shown, and i wouldn't have wanted it any other way. Anne's way of thinking throughout is fascinating and actually kind of chilling. She has such a positive outlook on everything which makes her all the more likeable and of course the end result that much worse. Shelley Winters, Millie Perkins and Joseph Schildkraut were superb some of my favorite performances of the decade so far, and the rest of the cast were very good too. I actually thought about not watching it after i realized it was three hours long, glad i went for it in the end because it will be another contender for my list.

Think i'm going to check out the rest of George Stevens 50's stuff as i really liked this and A Place In The Sun and though Shane was ok.

Welcome to the human race...
I think it's the perfect psychological thriller, the way it blurs the line between reality and what's in his head is masterful. I don't know if it's a cinematic achievement, but I believe it's the best of it's kind.
Huh, I tend to think of it as more of a black comedy than a straight-up psychological thriller (or, at the very least, a hybrid of the two types). I currently have it at a high
on the basis of a couple of viewings, but I've been thinking about revisiting it - in any case, I'm not sure that I consider it the best of its kind but I currently can't think of any alternatives in this regard.

Last movie I watched...

Buena Vista Social Club -

Something different/fun/interesting but it still feels ultimately passable.

Othello (1952)

+

It hurt me that I have no familiarity with this story or Shakespeare in general. A good deal of the time I didn't know what they were talking about or what exactly was happening. It was still strangely enjoyable, due in large part to the commanding screen presence of Orson Welles. The short 90 minute runtime also helped. This movie would be more fairly judged by someone who can follow it better.

Sad you didn't like it a bit more but that is understandable since you aren't familiar with Othello.
I can't really find fault, just had a hard time following.

Unregistered User

The Witch (2015)

This really requires a rewatch. I'm torn between liking it and loving it. As a slow-burning psychological horror it works really well and visually its terriffic. If your'e expecting some sort of gore-laden slasher movie, then look elsewhere. Admittedly I did struggle with Finchy as the father at the beginning but he really plays the part well.

Whilst its certainly not going to be remembered as a horror classic, its still well worth a watch.

I have to return some videotapes.
? Just curious.
It's an achievement that it's my favorite movie. Is there much more to say?

I just enjoy it the most out of any movie i've ever seen and that the ending kept me thinking about it for a while. I actually changed my thoughts on the ending after the 2nd or 3rd time watching it.