Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Last film i saw:

Wild Tales: 9.5/10

[center]The Godfather: Part 2 (Francis Ford Copolla, 1990)

It's the same masterpiece I remembered, and definitely the best on the trilogy.
The direction of Copolla and the acting of Al Pacino are without a doubt the key elements of this film. What Pacino did here is something that only very few actors in the history of cinema could achieve. Every gesture, sentence or look of him radiate power, passion and ambition, even if he looks calm on the surface. When you get so much energy from an actor without understanding what is he doing different, that's art in its purest form. DeNiro is great but Al Pacino is a god here...
As for the rest, a 3-and-a-half-hour movie that immerses you in an unique way due to a magnificent pacing, cinematography and sountrack all serving the vision of one of the greatest story tellers of the XX century.
My favorite gangster themed media is Texhnolyze (2003) while The Godfather is my favorite pure gangster movie, Once Upon a Time in America is also excellent whIle Goodfellas is incredibly well made but has characters that I don't like. The Godfather 2 is pretty impressive but I found it a bit uneven at parts with imperfect pacing and slightly overlong. Still a great movie though. Overall, both first two Godfathers are vastly superior to the third and also vast superior to most other films.

Ip Man 3 directed by Wilson Yip -
As it stands, Ip Man is one of the most solid franchises ever made, without a single bad movie. Ip Man 3 has problems, iffy pacing, a confusing plot, and it's a tad on the melodramatic side. But it has some undoubtedly interesting ideas that it does a great job of handling. The fight sequences are nothing short of brilliant, and as the series went on Wilson Yip became more skilled at directing those fights, and Ip Man 3 has some of the best fights yet. The mixture of heart pounding sound design, breathtaking choreography, and a suspenseful soundtrack, all create the perfect atmosphere that prior Ip Man films all did so well. Donnie Yen gives his best performance, bringing some serious emotion in his character, taking it one step further than before. He does it well and it's a great combination of action star/dramatic actor. One of my personal favorite things about Ip Man is that each film has a message that pairs itself with the action. It pains me to say that what I loved so dearly in this franchise, is severely lacking in this new installment. And while that certainly doesn't ruin the movie in anyway, I do miss it. Hopefully as time goes on this trilogy will get its recognition, whether it's through word of mouth or in BuzzFeed's "Top 10 Foreign Movies You've Never Heard Of", there'll be day when everyone will know the name of Ip Man.

Pushing Tin 8/10 - Cusack and Thornton are great together, with both delivering funny performances.

I have to return some videotapes...
O Brother, Where Art Thou? (2000)

This film is so much fun. At first, I was a little taken back by all of the dialogue not knowing that it was based on the Odyssey, but after awhile it really started to grow on me and I found it to be one of the best aspects of the film. I think this is the best collaboration between the Coen's and Clooney by far, the rest of their work together is very forced and I don't find it to be very enjoyable. I really began to feel for the characters and I enjoyed all of their back and forth even though typically this kind of plot really wouldn't usually appeal to me. I think the best part about this film is the writing, it felt so fresh and really takes you on a journey that you will not expect; throwing in a lot of twists and turns from the story. Most of the scenes flow very well and you can really see what these characters learn from meeting all of these different people throughout their journey together. The one scene that I have a problems with is the scene where they stumble upon the Klu Klux Klan; it was a very strange and I didn't really feel necessary to the plot at all other than just to reunite the gang with Tommy. The scene in my opinion took me out from the film and just could have been abbreviated by them just running into him in the town. Before I wrap this all up, I have to give praise to how well done the cinematography is by Deakins, he is on his A game with this film just like many others he has shot. The only other small gripe I had with the film is that some of the comedy fell very flat for me especially with the ending being the way that it is. I don't hate it, but I just didn't feel like it worked to well and it was a little bit silly, even though this is a comedy. Overall, I would have to say this is one of the better Coen Brother movies in their filmography and if they bring the energy that they brought to this to Hail, Caesar! we should be in for one hell of a ride.

+

I have to return some videotapes...
Raising Arizona (1987)

This film is a very different film than most I would say in that the comedy is for a very distinct audience. I'm not sure I'm part of that audience, but I didn't hate the film, in fact I actually enjoyed it. I am going to first start this all out by saying that the premise to this movie is actually really original and I feel hasn't really been done before. Nicholas Cage is pretty good in the film, but I feel like a lot of the acting is very exaggerated and is dulled down to a very stupid level, which was the intention, but I'm not sure I'm really a fan of it. The problem I face with the comedy to this film is not that it is that dumb, because let's face it that was the point, but that I feel like it wasn't handled as well as I have seen this kind of humor done before. The way it is handled in this film I feel somewhat disrespects the viewer, I know some will not agree, but this is just how I felt. There are a lot of positives I think in the film though, I really enjoyed the chase scene, as stupid as it was, it was really fun to watch. I also like the dynamic between Cage and Hunter because you can tell that they really care for this kid and when they convey that emotion, that was when I was most invested in their acting. I also enjoyed seeing John Goodman in the film as I think he is usually some of the best parts of Coen Brother movies, although I thought his partner in the film was a terrible actor and contributes to what I was saying earlier about disrespecting the viewer. The problem I face when grading this film is that I know that some will really gravitate towards this kind of movie, but I can't say I am one of those people. I also started to have a real problem with the Bounty Hunter side story since it didn't really need to be in the movie, I would have rather seen them focus more on Cage and Hunter. Overall, there is a lot of fun moments to be had in Raising Arizona, but there is also a lot of scenes that are hard to watch if you don't find them to be funny. I would say I had more fun than not so I will still give it a positive rating, just barely though.

Finished here. It's been fun.

The Phantom Carriage

One of those rare experiences that makes me remember why I watch films in the first place. The Phantom Carriage knocked me out, left my soul in pieces.

Might get that extra half star with another viewing.

Can't post picture yet so Ill have to do text, lol.

'Bone Tomahawk'

Movie was much better than expected. It has a few pretty brutal scenes (one in-particular that you CANNOT unsee). I totally recommend it if you are looking for a decent 'horror' (although the horror is really only the last 30 min so don't expect it through the whole movie)

Invasion of the Body Snatchers - 8/10

Man i loved this, don't know how much me being completely in the right mood for it helped definitely a great film though. It is pretty odd how well i responded to this since i didn't think much of the 70s version, then again i haven't watched that one in a few years. Similar to another 50s Sci Fi The Day the Earth Stood Still i feel this succeeds through its simple story and interesting themes. Sound performances too and i loved the ending, Miles speech and the complete hopeless feel of the situation before that last bit of hope comes.

Dead Poets Society - 5.5/10

This was alright, I liked Robin Williams in this but would still say he was better in One Hour Photo and Good Will Hunting. My main problem was all of the students except the guy who played Neil who was ok, Ethan Hawke is one of my very favourite actors working today but he got on my nerves probably the most. Also a few of the inspirational scenes like Hawke reading the poem in class with his eyes closed and the famous last scene made me cringe a bit if i'm honest. Still it had its moments, i liked the first hour alot more than the second which may be a bit odd.

Training Day - 5.5/10

Pretty much the same with this, it was alright had its moment but nothing great. Both Hawke and Denzel were good here but i'm definitely not sold on him taking the Oscar for this. From the nominees that year i have seen them all except Caine in The Quiet American and i'd say Denzel was least deserving, personally i'd have given it to Nicholson for About Schmidt but i would have been fine with Cage or Lewis winning as they were both very good i felt. I would say this was because he missed out for his much more deserving Malcolm X performance but then he had already won an Oscar albeit Supporting, not sure what the academy were thinking this year.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Dead Poets Society - 5.5/10

This was alright, I liked Robin Williams in this but would still say he was better in One Hour Photo and Good Will Hunting. My main problem was all of the students except the guy who played Neil who was ok, Ethan Hawke is one of my very favourite actors working today but he got on my nerves probably the most. Also a few of the inspirational scenes like Hawke reading the poem in class with his eyes closed and the famous last scene made me cringe a bit if i'm honest. Still it had its moments, i liked the first hour alot more than the second which may be a bit odd.

It's sad to see such a low rating for one of my favorite movies. I thought the final scene was the most powerful scene in the movie. I can't get through it without tearing up.

It's sad to see such a low rating for one of my favorite movies. I thought the final scene was the most powerful scene in the movie. I can't get through it without tearing up.
Maybe it was due to me having seen it parodied and mocked in other films/tv shows that it didn't have a strong effect. Before i watched it i knew about
WARNING: "" spoilers below
the suicide
so that may be why the second hour didn't work much for me.