Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

The thing isolated becomes incomprehensible
Wall Street (Oliver Stone, 1987)
(rewatch)

I'm preparing my Top 100 so I've been rewatching some long time favourites to see how they hold up.
Wall Street is as entertaining as I remembered, being extremely well paced from the first minute to the very last. Michael Douglas is the main force here, stealing every scene is in. Perhaps one of the most underrated actors I can think of.
It was also interesting to see how incredibly promising Charlie Sheen was and how he acted with his father, a man with all his potential already fulfilled. I can't stop thinking how good would have been Sheen Jr. today if he was more like his father.
I also like how foreseeing this movie was, with all the "technology will change the future" talk. One can feel this wouldn't be very different if it was made now.
However, this had some flaws. Though much deeper than its modern counterpart, Wolf of the Wall Street, Sheen is not DiCaprio and sure as hell Oliver Stone is not Scorcese. The script had some terrible terrible lines and the ones who weren't were delivered badly by the actors.
Stone manages to keep it interesting without pushing the pacing button too hard, which is great but I felt I needed some adrenaline at some point.
Overall a great movie, though it won't make my Top 100.

-

I think everyone did that - me included

I mean, even those who hated the film - uh, me included - thought that scene was balls to the wall drop till you fall bawl in a hall AWESOME.
Really? Old Woo films did it much better and didn't use computers to do it either.

You guys really need to learn to appreciate boring cinema better.
Didn't 2001 just win the 60's countdown? I think you'll find they appreciate the hell out of it.

Unregistered User

Melancholia (2011)

Dunst is fantastic as Justine, the complicated and depressed Bride that seems drawn on destroying the seemingly good things going on in her life. More great performances from Gainsborough, Sutherland, Skarsgard however I would like liked John Hurt's character to be featured more, I found his to be really interesting and would have liked to find out more. Some of the scenes are really stunning although there are parts that do drag. Still, i enjoy films that are rather bleak and this is certainly one of them

Really? Old Woo films did it much better and didn't use computers to do it either.
What do you mean? I can't have fun with modern cinema because older cinema did it better?

This is a weird comparison, especially because of how different the two examples are...

Wolf of wall street is a good film, I haven't seen the most recent one but the original is great.

Mission Impossible (1996)

Been a looong time since I've watched the first 3 MI movies (watched GP a year ago), so before I watch Rogue Nation I'm gonna watch the first 4 and re-rate them to my current standing on the films. The First one is not my favorite in the series, but my favorite scenes are obviously when Ethan goes to steal the NOC List, and of course the train sequences.

Mission Impossible 2 (2000)

The weakest of the series IMO. The end was the best part the rest of the movie was meh to me. The trick he plays on Ambrose towards the end with those weird face masks they have is probably the best part

Vec vidjeno (1987) Aka Deja Vu Aka Reflections

A normal man? For me, a normal man is one who turns his head to see a beautiful woman's bottom. The point is not just to turn your head. There are five or six reasons. And he is glad to find people who are like him, his equals. That's why he likes crowded beaches, football, the bar downtown...

Southpaw - 9/10 Jake is one of the greatest actors, and this was INSANE. I actually Cried.

Welcome to the human race...
The Man From U.N.C.L.E. -

It has its moments, but ultimately it just feels disposable.

Last movie: Take Shelter (2011)

I will watch Naked (1993) right now & I am sure it's going to be good (:
Wait, is it just a coincidence you decided to watch both things one after the other?

The thing isolated becomes incomprehensible
Life of Pi (Ang Lee, 2012)

If the movie kept that atmosphere of the beggining credits it would have been perfect. Sadly, it didn't.
The good things first: the soundtrack is amazing. The acting is pretty solid. The whole script is great - I loved that semi-twist at the end, with the whole God existence question. From time to time there is some fantastic cinematography.
However: its greatest strength, the cinematography, is also its greatest weakness, IMO. Too much CGI!!! At some point I didn't know if I was watching a live action movie or an animated one. It felt artificial! Also, why did the Indian family had to speak in English??? It's a minor issue but I found it distracting!
Overall, it's a very interesting couple of hours though I don't agree with all the hype.

-

The original Wolf of Wall Street? Do you mean Oliver Stones Wall Street with Charlie Sheen? If so the two aren't related.

Ye the kbe with Charlie Sheen. My bad thought they were the same film. ☺