The MoFo Top 100 of the 60s: Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Also I watched Yojimbo the other day and enjoyed it. I have it rated as "very good, not quite great" although I understand its appeal, I think it ranks so high because of how iconic and influential it was on other films. It's quite an easy to watch, fun film with a simple action story, I think it would make a good introduction to Kurosawa for most people, I'm not sure why I only just watched it. I didn't think it was anything absolutely fascinating though, the thing that I thought was best was actually the music, that was really cool.

Well, how nice to see The Birds at #18 because it was my #18! I love The Birds and have since childhood when it was shown regularly on TV. It's one of my favorite Hitchcock films on a purely entertaining level. Thanks to meatwadsprite for posting that scene, which is my favorite from the film.

In fact, all the scenes which many people may think of as hokey, I like, such as the staged scenes where Tippi Hedren, filmed as not moving and edited together like still photos while she reacts to the birds attacking Bodega Bay during the fire.
Markf, I read somewhere that Hitchcock was not satisfied with the way Tippi Hedren was reacting to the fire streaming towards the man by the pumps, so he instead filmed it as is, with the still-photo-like shots, I don't know if it's true but I love the effect of it. It was different from anything I'd seen until that time. Plus, I love the shot of the seagulls hovering above the carnage, as if observing their handiwork like any bad guy worth his salt would.

And although it didn't make my list, it's nice to see Yojimbo there. Great film!

The Birds is possibly the worst film I've seen from a director as acclaimed as Hitchcock. I hated it. Yojimbo was my #4! Among the coolest movies I've ever seen.

And that makes 10 from my list!

4. Yojimbo
8. Le Samourai
10. The Virgin Spring
11. For a Few Dollars More
12. Z
15. The Battle of Algiers
16. Lolita
17. Breathless
18. A Fistful of Dollars
22. Goldfinger
25. Death Rides a Horse (one pointer)

I had Yojimbo at #23. Big fan of Kurosawa but his decade was the 50s.
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

Cool Hand Luke and The Apartment will both make the list
If it does I would've never expected CHL to be this high.

I'm starting to worry about The Apartment's fate. Surely it would make the list, right?
I'm starting to feel the same way about Cool Hand Luke.
You can be sure Cricket called it correctly, and these are the remaining films. There's no mystery, except the order.

This is what I have-

8 1/2
The Apartment
The Birds
Cool Hand Luke
Dr. Strangelove
The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly
The Graduate
Lawrence of Arabia
Midnight Cowboy
Once Upon a Time in the West
Persona
Planet of the Apes
Psycho
Rosemary's Baby
To Kill a Mockingbird
The Wild Bunch
Yojimbo

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
If it does I would've never expected CHL to be this high.
Me neither, but we're underestimating the support this site has for car washes.

I've seen Hook and I think using it to explain liking The Birds is harsh, that really is a bad film

PREPARE TO DIE PETER P- DANIEL M !

dat mustache !

There isn't a boy
Who won't enjoy
a-workin' for Captain Hook
The choice is up to you

Here's how my list is looking at the moment:

1. Will make it (title contender)
2. Easy Rider (#38)
3. Will make it (title contender)
4. Will make it
5. Will make it (title contender)
6. Didn't make it
7. The Birds (#18)
8. The Italian Job (#85)
9. Will make it
10. Will make it
11. Didn't make it
12. Andrei Rublev (#55)
13. A Fistful of Dollars (#51)
14. Spartacus (#47)
15. Goldfinger (#46)
16. Will make it
17. Didn't make it
18. A Hard Day's Night (#53)
19. Didn't make it
20. From Russia with Love (#87)
21. Lolita (#56)
22. Didn't make it
23. Didn't make it
24. Didn't make it
25. Didn't make it

The Birds is another for me.. I was hoping for Top 10 for this one too but glad it's here.

1. Night Of The Living Dead (1968) - 20th
2. Definitely Top 10
3. Probably not now we’re within the Top 20
4. The Hustler (1961) - 26th
5. Definitely
6. The Innocents (1961) - 32nd
7. The Birds (1963) - 18th
8. Probably not now we’re within the Top 20
9. The Haunting (1963) - 42nd
10. True Grit (1969) - 72nd
11. Definitely Top 10
12. Butch Cassidy And The Sundance Kid (1969) - 21st
13. Probably not now we’re within the Top 20
14. Peeping Tom (1960) - 33rd
15. Cape Fear (1962) - 84th
16. Probably not now we’re within the Top 20
17. The Great Escape (1963) - 30th
18. Probably not now we’re within the Top 20
19. Probably not now we’re within the Top 20
20. Easy Rider (1969) - 38th
21. Definitely, maybe even Top 10
22. Definitely Top 10
23. West Side Story (1961) - 28th
24. Pretty sure it’ll make it, maybe Top 20
25. Probably not now we’re within the Top 20

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
I think the final duel between Psycho and 2001: A Space Odyssey will be pretty cool.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

A system of cells interlinked
Top 20 for The Birds... I expected Top 10, but I will take Top 20!

The Breakdown...

2x 1st (50 points), 2nd (24 points), 4x 3rd (92 points), 2x 4th (44 points), 7th (19 points), 9th (17 points), 2x 10th (32 points), 15th (11 points), 16th (10 points), 3x 15th (27 points), 19th (7 points), 2x 24th (4 points)

The Wild Bunch

2nd (24 points), 4th (22 points), 5th (21 points), 6th (20 points), 3x 7th (57 points), 8th (18 points), 2x 9th (34 points), 2x 10th (32 points), 11th (15 points), 2x 12th (28 points), 13th (13 points), 3x 14th (36 points), 16th (10 points), 19th (7 points), 24th (2 points)

Notes

Both films were the only films to receive their respective amount of points, so no tie breaking was needed.