Television Tab

Tools    

I watch The 100, mainly because there are two (there were three) Neighbours alumni in it. It's OK. I don't think it's special but it's a way of passing the time and sometimes I managed to get swept up in it.

Re: Wayward Pines
I'm still not sure what to make of this 'truth'. Something about it feels sort of cheap and easy, like it's only one step above 'it was all a dream'. Although I still feel there must be some twists and turns to the story to come; I don't imagine they'd give you the whole truth about the place with still 5 episodes to go
hmm yes. If that's it then I'm feeling a fall off of interest

_____ is the most important thing in my life…
Excited to see that Netflix has every season of Trailer Park Boys. I can't figure out how Bubbles can see wearing those glasses.

The People's Republic of Clogher
It's taken me eight episodes but I've finally realised that Orange is the New Black isn't the Ian Paisley bio I'd been hoping for.

It's more like Grange Hill.

A system of cells interlinked
Twin Peaks

Season 1: Episodes 1-8
Season 2: Episodes 1-13

All in one weekend. Pretty sure I live there in my mind at this point. That might not be good.

We just couldn't hang on and finish it, as at that point we were going cross-eyed and both of us were wandering around different rooms humming parts of the soundtrack. Maybe do a few more tonight.

My 4th time through the show.

I considered dropping the score another half-point for the weak second half, but the finale is aces. Really, there are just a few episodes that are cringe-worthy to me, right around the middle of season 2. The Civil War stuff and the Nadine silliness are the main culprits, but the other content, even in those episodes, is still pretty compelling. Nadine is just terrible, though. Bad idea there. But while that is going on, Major Briggs is starting to reveal the lodge stuff, and Windham Earle, who I think is a great addition, finally shows up. To me, it seems like once Lynch sort of bailed, Frost et al. tried to inject their interpretation of the Lynch absurdity into the show, failing miserably in places, but managing to maintain the mystery enough with the chess stuff to keep me interested.

As a die-hard Lynch fan, I may be grading on a curve as, well.

As usual, I think the opposite to you. I agree the civil war and Nadine stuff is silly, but that's why I like it. For me, it stays with the soap opera tone/stories of the first season which I enjoyed so much, while upping silly to ridiculous. For some reason that works for me in this in a way it doesn't in other things. Kingsmen being a recent example.

As I am opposite it's the stuff that you like that I find dull and uninteresting. The mystical stuff, the aliens, Major Briggs etc all of which has me longing for Nadine to run into shot and throw him over a tree or something. Once the mystery of Laura Palmer comes to its conclusion, I can end it right there and be happy.

Ah, so say....right after Lonely Souls? That's the episode with the Maddie killing and the big reveal, directed by Lynch.

Major Briggs is a character I am enjoying a lot this time through; he is such a collection of contradictions. I can take or leave the aliens, which just seem tacked on. When I get down to it, the stuff I enjoy the most is the visceral stuff, like the attack scene in Lonely Souls with the repeating record noise in the background. Stuff that grabs me and shakes me about.

I don't know what the episode is called but it's about 8 or 9 episodes in, I think. Is that the one with the confession?

I like Major Briggs, too, as a character and I think the scene with him and Bobby work really well in the second season. It's just all the stuff that goes with it. It's just not what I watched Twin Peaks for and after Lonely Souls (or the episode after) it seemed to me that's all that was left.

I'm actually rewatching Twin Peaks now too. Third time for me, first time was just with my brother, second time with my mum too, this time with my brother and a mate who had never seen it before. Just finished the episode "Arbitrary Law" I think it's called, think it's episode nine of season two.

Still love it, some parts are even more powerful watching it this time. And like you've mentioned, after this episode they delve more into where Bob comes from, the lodges, Windom Earle, and it all builds up to a brilliant finale. Watching this on Blu-ray for the first time is fantastic too, and I can't wait for the film again.

Also just finished season three of Arrested Development. Brilliant. Absolutely love the show, the last few episodes were especially fantastic and I wouldn't have mind if it ended there. Watched a couple of episodes of season four, and I thought the first episode was good, second okay. Interesting new direction, but I've been told it gets a lot better as it goes on, so I'm still interested in how it all works out.

Hard to argue. When you say the scene with Briggs and Bobby, did you mean this?

"This was a vision, fresh and clear as a mountain stream, the mind revealing itself to itself. In my vision, I was on the veranda of a vast estate, a palazzo of some fantastic proportion. There seemed to emanate from it a light from within, this gleaming, radiant marble. I'd known this place. I had in fact been born and raised there. This was my first return. A reunion with the deepest well-springs of my being. Wandering about, I noticed happily that the house had been immaculately maintained. There'd been added a number of additional rooms, but in a way that blended so seamlessly with the original construction, one would never detect any difference. Returning to the house's grand foyer, there came a knock at the door. My son was standing there. He was happy and carefree, clearly living a life of deep harmony and joy. We embraced, a warm and loving embrace, nothing withheld. We were, in this moment, one. My vision ended and I awoke with a tremendous feeling of optimism and confidence in you and your future. That was my vision of you. I'm so glad to have had this opportunity to share it with you. I wish you nothing but the very best in all things."

One of my favorite scenes from the show, really. I love the dialogue, there.

The confession comes just after Lonely Souls I think, or maybe two after it. I agree the show just sort of veers off into nowhere after that. I want Lisa to see the excellent finale, though, and then on to the film!

That is a great scene and the father and son stuff they have in those few episodes just comes across really well.

The last 15-20 minutes of that final episode are special. I'm not sure how much I like or enjoy them, but they do seem special. The last shot is, of course, both thrilling and chilling. Naturally I want to see what happens after that, but I'm not excited to do so. As I'm starting to think with Before Sunrise, maybe it's special because that's it? Had it gone on for another season or two, three, whatever, I feel that many, if not most fans, would look back on it and think "I enjoyed what came after, but that's when it stopped being great."

One of the things I used to like about British comedy and drama was that it was almost always written by only one or two people and, when they felt it was done, that was it. I don't think it happened too often and these days it's even more rare simply because there'll be so much pressure/money on offer, but we used to go for quality over quantity which I don't think is the case as often anymore.

Mr. Robot on USA.

WOW! You all have to check out this show if you haven't. I have On Demand and they have the pilot without any commercials.

Intriguing and different. The main character is a whole lot of strange and compelling as heck. He's a computer hacker.

Lots of exploration of society today and the rift between rich and poor. It was one seriously interesting piece of television.
Yes! I highly recommend this show. Everyone that I've recommended it to so far is really liking it as well. Only two episodes in (with the third tomorrow) but the future looks very promising.

Watch it. You probably won't regret it.
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

Miss Vicky's Loyal and Willing Slave
I watch The 100, mainly because there are two (there were three) Neighbours alumni in it. It's OK. I don't think it's special but it's a way of passing the time and sometimes I managed to get swept up in it.
Oh really? Who are the former Neighbours stars on it? And perhaps I'm overrating it just because I expected so little of it. I wasn't even going to give it a shot originally because with the young cast I thought it was going to be really focused on a teen audience with lots of Twilight-style romance but that's not been the case. It's been substantially darker and more serious than I thought

Also for UK viewers, particularly those with an interest in the films of Marvel, I'd recommend Agent Carter on FX which just started a couple of nights ago I think it was. I watched it a while back and thought it was a cracking show. Kind of loved it and absolutely love Hayley Atwell. Even HK might like it as it's like Marvel's equivalent of WPC 56.