What order do you watch movies in?

Tools    

Right now I'm catching up mainly on movies from the 2000s and 90s, and some 80s films which I missed which were either critically acclaimed or did well at the box office - later i may go back into earlier decades once I feel my knowledge of current films is well-rounded. So basically my order is reverse chronological.

Is there any specific order or "system" others use when watching movies, or do you just pick movies completely at random.

Majority of what I watch depends on the mood I'm in.

Majority of what I watch depends on the mood I'm in.
Do you go by decade, genre, actor/director, critical reception, etc?

Or just whatever you come across that interests you without regard for it's "status" in the film industry?

It depends on what's going on at MoFo. If I'm preparing for a list or participating in a hall of fame, that will dictate what I watch to some extent, but I'll break it up with whatever catches my whim.

I have a running watchlist and standby favorites that I'll check when I'm in the mood for something specific by genre.

I used to use Rotten Tomatoes as an idea of what recent movies to watch, but I've been burnt too many times; too many French movies which bored me; too many Rotten ones that I liked.

Kudos to whoever previously suggested Metacritic; Metacritic seems to focus more on how great the films are themselves, while Rotten tomatoes focuses more on "how widely liked they are" versus their objective quality.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
It depends on current Hall of Fames, tournaments, lists, etc. that are happening here, and what's scheduled on Turner Classic Movies and other movie channels.

Right now I have about 5 or 6 movies that I DVRed and I have to watch them to clear the DVR for more stuff, so those will be at the top of my watchlist.

Right now I'm catching up mainly on movies from the 2000s and 90s, and some 80s films which I missed which were either critically acclaimed or did well at the box office - later i may go back into earlier decades once I feel my knowledge of current films is well-rounded. So basically my order is reverse chronological.

Is there any specific order or "system" others use when watching movies, or do you just pick movies completely at random.
This right here . . .

Ðèstîñy's Movies!

I usually pick an actor, choose a film, and then choose an actor from that movie, for the next movie. I only use what I own, whether it's VHS, DVD, or my own streaming collection. I never use the same actor twice, and I only watch each movie once.

Ah, weird maybe, but I was bored with taking forever to choose something to watch. This helps, a lot!

Master of My Domain
I used to use Rotten Tomatoes as an idea of what recent movies to watch, but I've been burnt too many times; too many French movies which bored me; too many Rotten ones that I liked.

Kudos to whoever previously suggested Metacritic; Metacritic seems to focus more on how great the films are themselves, while Rotten tomatoes focuses more on "how widely liked they are" versus their objective quality.
Both Rotten Tomatoes and Metacritic are lame. MoFo is the best place for movies. You should create a film diary thread and get some recommendations along the way. Use your great debating skills in a film related discussion.

I spend a lot of time lately just trying to decide what should be the next thing I will watch. My attempts to focus on a director or a year always tend to be left halfway through. The last time it happened with the "Godard week" I planned for the first week of May. At this point, one month later, I've watched five and have three left yet.

I don't have a certain order I stick to no matter what, and I rarely even predict the flow of movies I end up in. Of course, if something's going on at the forums like a HoF or a decade-list, I adapt to that, but without it being the only thing I watch...

I have found myself several times in some sort of wave of movies, like if I watch one Chaplin I feel like watching a few more, and so on. But still, my watching habits are often very random, though I have found out a few systems here and there makes it easier and more digestable to watch and pick movies. It's funny, because as I said I usually don't plan big systems, but right now I'm going through all the Disney classics chronologically, which I guess is the biggest kind of system I have ever had.

Im similar to you - MovieMeditation - i have no particular system, but like you mentioned with Chaplin, i had with Hitchcock, and sometimes i feel like doing some system, but somehow its usually don’t work, because maybe i just dont feel like watching certain type of movie at that time or i have some other reasons, that i even cant formulate. Soon i will finish imdb 250(About 30 movies left there), this list really helped me to understand and find great movies.

Nah, I have systems for the books I choose because the no. I can read in a given amount of time is much more limited. Same with video games (I have a list of about 50 and I use a random number generator to pick what to play next). But for movies I mostly just watch whatever I feel like. I used to anyway -- living with someone whose taste and interest in movies is less broad than mine basically means I watch what she wants to watch most of the time, unless I want to cut into my time for doing other things.

.I dont know if you would call it a system but when Im looking for something on netflix, hulu or amazon prime.. I like to look at the imdb score beforehand.. been burned with ****** movies to many times...

If you mean if it's a trilogy like Star Wars, Back to the Future or Lord of the Rings per say than obviously in the normal order they are supposed to be watched. Otherwise I have no idea what this question means.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
I always have 10-15 I haven't seen, many of them within reach. Sometimes it depends on what's at the library...The closest thing to a system is when I do watch a great movie, I'll get the rest by the director, starting with his earliest if I can.

The only rules I have regarding watching movies is that if it's a series, I try really hard to watch them in order. I remember a three month period where I kept avoiding Grumpier Old Men on HBO because I hadn't seen Grumpy Old Men.