Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Transformers: Age of Extinction -

After Bay said he was done with the series he went on to direct Pain & Gain. That film didn't do so well so in order to stay on top again he dives back into the series that will make a ton of money, no matter how bad the films are. I don't understand...I simply DO NOT UNDERSTAND how people are still paying to see this film. After what is not only the worst in the series, one of the worst films of that year and possibly one of the worst films of the 21st Century, people still continue to flock like sheep to the colourful images, bright lights, fast cars and CGI non-sense.

I still have nightmares about The Revenge of the Fallen. The first film, at 144 minutes is the shortest. THE SHORTEST!!!! I literally started watching a youtube compilation of "fail videos" during the absurd climax of this film. Once the dinobots came in, which was extremely poorly done, I was checked out. I know what your saying..."but Matt, how the hell were you still checked in until the end of the film?" You know what Mofo members? I don't know. I was hanging on - BARELY - for dear life to what was suppose to be a film on my television screen.

But is it my fault? More or less. What should I have expected? The other films are obnoxiously loud, mind-numbingly long, a story that is a slave to the special effects and inane product placement. I guess I thought that maybe with a new cast (Marky Mark), the exclusion of Shia and the Dinobots would make the film somewhat interesting, but it doesn't and this film is NOT in the slightest. The one time where I thought the film did something different was when they -
WARNING: "T4" spoilers below
Kill off the comedic relief sidekick in the first half

- I was kinda shocked they did that - but of course our heroes move on like nothing is wrong two seconds later and we are given more characters who sort of fit the bill.

The story....man, does it suck. It shows that they had literally nowhere to go. The first 3 films wrapped things up, now this, which doesn't make a lick of sense, leaves open the possibility for more films and just stretches the thinnest plot lines out to an insane running time. Please Mr. Bay....go back to a film like The Rock which is universally hailed as your best work. Go back to an enclosed space for your characters. Characters that we like, acted by accomplished thespians...oh what the hell am I doing...forget it.

This film is not THE worst in the series. I honestly doubt anything will scrape the bottom of that barrel.

Suspect's Reviews

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
All The Boys Love Mandy Lane -

A bunch of rich kids invited Mandy Lane, an outsider, who got "hot" over the summer, to their farm in order to rape her. Okay, maybe the rape bits sounds a bit too far, but their intentions are indeed to get with her. Lines like - "when we get there, make sure I get the first shot at her" makes the film sound incredibly ominous about what is about to happen.

Completed in 2006 - the film sat on the shelves due to the company who acquired it going bankrupt. The Weinstein Company finally got the rights to release it in 2013. The build up in the horror community was not THAT big, but it was big enough for me to be intrigued by the concept. The film does not deliver in any way.

You can see the inspiration of Tobe Hooper's Texas Chainsaw Massacre - but that is not enough to save this film. The finale reveal, not that shocking, is the only thing that makes the film suspenseful or the the least bit interesting. This film came and went without a peep. If I were not such a horror nut - I doubt I would even know what it was.

Uninteresting kills, lame characters you want to die, the film has it in spades. So do yourself a favour and skip this film. Cause this boy right here...does NOT love Mandy Lane. See what I did there? Was it lame? Good, then it matches this film perfectly.

Seconds (1966) - John Frankenheimer

The storyline seemed very promising, as far as the representation is concerned, I am not that satisfied...

7 out of 10

Night at the Museum 3: Secret of the Tomb (2014)
- This movie was surprisingly great, wasn't really expecting much going in. The Second was alright, but this one was so good and such a great end to the story, for some stupid reason after watching the first 2 I've gotten attached to these characters and the ending almost had me in tears actually, which I wasn't expecting. Loved the tribute to Robin Williams at the end. It may have been just a little one but it was still nice of them to do it and just like Fast & Furious 7 they didn't try to capitalize on their stars' death (Robin Williams) which I thought was very noble of them.

Hot Tub Time Machine 2 (2015)
- Don't judge, I have a weak spot for dirty comedies, plus I loved the first one so I had to see this one too. The movie was funny as hell and made me laughed throughout(That's what it's suppose to do) and I really wasn't expecting it to be that funny but it sure as hell was, but the absence of John Cusack was felt
WARNING: """ spoilers below
Even though he does have a cameo at the end in the Unrated Version
And I rated it off of the basis of if I laughed through it and I sure did. Was the story good? Not really but does any good comedy really have a Oscar worthy story to tell (Seldom do)? And i loved the Jennifer Lawrence joke in this movie, if you've seen it you know what I'm talking about. And it was much better and more enjoyable than Horrible Bosses 2 so there's that.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
The Garden of the Finzi-Continis - 5/10

Pretty disappointing for De Sica, as I think he's a brilliant director. But this was done in 1970, most artists run out of ideas, one can do only so much great work.

Care for some gopher?
Ferris Bueller's Day Off (USA, 1986, John Hughes) -

This movie is actually pretty silly. The sidecharacters are caricatures and their actions doesn't make any sense. The dramatic scenes towards the end and the "thrilling" finale doesn't work at all. In spite of that, the movie is quite entertaining.

Casualities of War

A powerful moment or two isn't enough to take away from the ridiculously hammy acting and forced sentimentality.

Lady in the Water (2006) - M Night Shyamalan (American Fantasy)
This falls a long way short of Shyamalan's best but it is also a lot better than his worst - which really sums up his problems as a director. He's terribly inconsistent and i think it is because he has become really lazy. His films are filled with bad scenes and whilst this didn't have as many as The Happening, which was 95% bad scenes, it still has too many and they ruin what could have been a good film.
-

Care for some gopher?
Michael Kohlhaas (F/D, 2013, Arnaud des Palliéres) -

Originally Posted by IMDb
In the 16th century in the Cévennes, a horse dealer by the name of Michael Kohlhaas leads a happy family life. When a lord treats him unjustly, he raises an army and puts the country to fire and sword in order to have his rights restored.
I'm disappointed with this movie. I like the trailer a lot, i like Mads Mikkelsen and the setting. But the synopsis sounds way more exciting than the movie actually is. Especially the second half drags on forever. You'll probably like this movie if you like Valhalla Rising. I'd say these movies are very similar in terms of style and pacing.

Someone recommended Mary and Max a while back and finally watched it last night. OMG it was so good. Had everything from humor, romance, drama, and sadness. What a ride!

TY to whoever it was that posted it.

7/10

The Mechanic (2011) - Simon West (American Action)
West is responsible for one of my favourite action movies - Con Air. Whilst I doubt he'll ever reach those heights again he still makes ok action films and that's what this was - ok. The action was entertaining but everything else was kind of pointless I thought.
+

Someone recommended Mary and Max a while back and finally watched it last night. OMG it was so good. Had everything from humor, romance, drama, and sadness. What a ride!

TY to whoever it was that posted it.

7/10

I recommended it after a couple people here recommended it on the "Films on Loneliness" thread - so if you liked that, I found a few really great films on the subject.

Le Trou (The Hole) - 8/10

A great film. I actually picked this out with my eyes closed in the French section at the library. I actually thought it was by Robert Bresson as I watched it. It's about guys who are in a cell trying to escape. A lot of camaraderie, sacrifice, and a feeling of not knowing exactly what each guy is thinking, or what's going to happen. Great movie!

WARNING: "Le Trou" spoilers below
Did anyone get tricked? In the beginning, one of the main characters says, "This is my story." Then you see he's the main guy who organizes the break out. And since I noticed he had black hair in the beginning, I thought it was a director's mistake, as I had figured he escaped, and that it was not too long after the opening scene in the prison, which I thought was a spoiler. Then at the end, no one gets out, and they are locked up in solitary confinement. I was so upset to see Claude rat, and it's a thrilling twist. At first you think he won't want to escape, and we don't hear him say anything to the warden, but then Manu asks why he's been gone for 2 hours, so you suspect. Then you see them all getting ready to leave, and you assume he didn't rat. The periscope (spoon with a mirror) is used and as the guards check up, move along, you think it's on.. Then the next glimpse is one of the scariest shots I have ever witnessed - seeing all the guards lined up - you know they're caught.... Also, I would have thought that Geo would have been punished much worse as he would have known about the escape and not said anything.

Anyone notice how the details kinda dragged on. There was an odd scene where they dissolve, as the chisel takes forever, but the new shot is probably 30 seconds later judging by the amount chiseled. I like details, but not every second. Still a great movie.

The Rain People - 7/10
Probably the most entertaining film of Coppola's. They had The Godfather on all weekend, and maybe it's because I've seen them all so many times. The Conversation is another great one, but this film was quite different.

James Caan is an ex-football player who gets brain damaged playing, and is given a "severance package" of a $1,000 and he is kinda lost, doesn't know what's going on, reminded me a little of Forrest Gump. He goes on to meet a woman - I think if it had been someone like Faye Dunaway the movie would have been a great hit, as the actress wasn't too great. The woman is running away from her husband, problems, as she's pregnant, and is also lost in life, so it would seem suitable that they find each other, but she can't take it - she wants to be alone, until she meets a cop (Duvall).

Did anyone notice in the phone booth, there are pictures of John Cassavetes which they show twice. I'm sure Coppola saw "Faces" - I had been meaning to see this film for so long, and it was on TV yesterday. Highly recommend it.

Also at the end, Robert Osbourne (host of TCM) says how Coppola worked with Duvall many times, and how he was nominated. Well, James Caan was nominated in the Godfather as well, and also worked with Coppola multiple times, just didn't mention it for some reason.