Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

VFN
Winter Calls Thy Name
American Snipper

Pretty entertaining film about a mohel from NYC struggling with both PTSD and the lack of good parking.

3.5 potato pancakes out of 5

I just finished these two on a whim, watched them together cause they sounded similar (yep, just from the titles ).

25th Hour

Spike Lee has really been growing on me as of late, I loved Malcom X and Summer of Sam. The 25th Hour continued the trend with its sharp subtleties and profound dialogue. Edward Norton really connected with me as a viewer, definitely a top 5 performance of his. The synopsis gave off the stigma of a heavy-handed/shove its message lecturey type film but it wasn't that at all, calm and discreet.

After Hours

Fun, fun and more fun. Not one of my go-to Scorsese films but I'm glad I watched it once and for all, I was slightly disappointed due to its high standing and praises but it still was extremely enjoyable. Scorsese dabbling into showy surrealism was cool but I prefer the way it's more held back in his other films (Taxi Driver and Bringing Out The Dead).

_____ is the most important thing in my life…
American Sniper

90 million dollar opening weekend had me believing this was something more than it was. Disappointed. It wasn't a bad movie, it just wasn't really good at anything it tried to do.

I was looking forward to doing another review, but this didn't affect me enough to warrant the time.

Oh, one more thing. HK, those pics made me throw up in my lap.

Lord High Filmquisitor

Dawn of the Planet of the Apes - 8.5/10

This was a lot better than I was expecting, and Rise of the Planet of the Apes had risen my expectations considerably from the original films. The story was fairly simple, but with enough kinks in the works from making it boring. The acting is solid, the CG fantastic and production values absolutely superb. This (and Rise, and Tintin and The Lord of the Rings) begs the question of what Andy Serkis has to do to get Academy recognition for his acting.

Kite - 3.5/10

A twist without quality context cannot carry the film. This films is an absolute mess, from franticly rushed action to maddenly dragged out plot, it was quite simply boring to watch. When all is said and done, this is just short of being my least favorite fmovie from 2014 (the honor going to Cabin Fever 3: Patient Zero).

Last Movie i saw was American Sniper. Not much to say as to the controversy surrounding the film, i really don't know enough to even comment, The movie had great cinematography, Bradley Cooper was amazing, however throughout the movie i felt there were moments that were great, and moments then should've been expounded on. This film approaches war in a very black and white way, when i feel for a movie the story lies in the grey area sometimes, and i wish we could've seen more aspects of what PTSD can do to a soldier and just not sugarcoat how hard it is! Overall it is still a movie you should see i'm giving it a 7.5 out of 10!

American Sniper

90 million dollar opening weekend had me believing this was something more than it was. Disappointed. It wasn't a bad movie, it just wasn't really good at anything it tried to do.

I was looking forward to doing another review, but this didn't affect me enough to warrant the time.

Oh, one more thing. HK, those pics made me throw up in my lap.

I agree with you. I didn't like it very much: I think it was to patriotic.

When they said this was a technical marvel in the film industry, they won't kidding.

The Meisel score was wonderful and the montages are some of the best ever possibly only rivaled by Rocky's.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
Clash By Night (Lang) - 6/10 - I couldn't believe this was directed by Fritz Lang. Going from "M" to this, I think he failed in the US because he tried to adapt from his original style. Seems like most noir are very similar, and this movie was very predictable, but still good. Robert Ryan is always unlikeable, so he does his part, and Stanwyck is usually a woman you love to hate, especially considering her role in this film (especially from a man's point of view). It's over 50 years old, but the nice guy in the film always seems to get screwed.

Breathless (1960) - 3/10 - This film was garbage. Someone on here said it was junk, but I keep hearing so many people talk about how groundbreaking this film is. Damn! I wanted to write down the film description on the box. "The greatest thing since Citizen Kane"

This movie is baloney. All of it. The only decent thing about this movie is that it has readable yellow subtitles (as opposed to the unreadable ones in Renoir's "La Grande Illusion") not that the writing is worth reading. Here is 90% of the writing.

"Undress"

"I want to sleep with you":

That's most of the movie. Is there anyone here that likes it?? The acting is horrible, the American French accent is awful, and this was written by Truffaut. I don't think I'll ever watch a movie by him or Godard, pretentious b.s..

And I hate labels like "New Wave" as if the year before the "New Wave" film was garbage. Nothing wavy about this film.

Well I think Breathless is great, very cool anti-American noir inspired story with a good love story and lots of good stuff going on, and I love other stuff I've seen from Godard too.

I don't get your comment about the New Wave, it very definitely exists. It's not just Godard but a whole bunch of critics and other people who started making films based on certain principles and influences. There's lots of different directors involved, Breathless is just kind of seen as the 'starting point' and also a turning point for different types of films and filmmakers.

Also Godard and Truffaut are so different from each other in terms of style.

What was the difference between French films in 1959 as opposed to the New Wave in 1960 is what I'm asking... The "jump cuts" every 2 seconds was giving me a headache, to me that's b.s., a movement that doesn't deserve a name.

I want to get the script, it's nothing over and over. "I want to see you undress" was repeated 50 times. Or "Let's sleep together"

Can you tell me specifically why you liked this film? I'm real curious.

I actually really liked "400 Blows" but it seemed like it could have been from the 40's as well, so I don't buy the "New Wave" advertising. I think it's gimmick.

One difference are the nude photos in the magazine. I felt nothing from the characters at all, no emotion, it just felt like 900 minutes of nothing.

wanabe movie critique
American Sniper: 8/10

You have the right to not "like" the style of the film or to think it's "bullsh*t", but denying that it was groundbreaking is just ridiculous. I'm not going to deconstruct every little detail of this film or French New Wave films in general, but you should definitely read about the Nouvelle Vague if you're at all interested in understanding the movement and the new perspectives it brought to filmmaking.

I think the films pretty much speak for themselves, but if you want to know why it's a "thing", there's plenty of information that can be found about it.