Are "movies" and "films" the same thing?

Tools    

Sounds like most people are leaning towards film=movies.

What about when you are considering a movie/film/flick as a work of art? Is anyone an academic?

Interestingly if you Google Scholar "film art" of the last 10 years and then "movie art" from the last 10 years you'd see that "film art" has almost 10 times the amount of results. I say this simply to show that for some reason the scholarly books/articles on the art of movie/films/flicks are leaning towards one of the words. This may be related to the idea that all films are movies but not all movies are films.

Daniel, Honeykid and Rodent and me are all British tho so I wouldn't base your answer all on us. We're all going to say film a lot of the time. The older amongst us (ie me) will never say movies, and the younger you get the more the word movie will be used, but film will be still used
You should get some answers off more American English speakers.
The answer is tell your friend if they want to fit in when they're in America call them movies and when in Britain say films!

I don't use the word "movie". It may be that I am too snobbish and that I consider myself too highly and I admit I probably am but I just consider a "movie" to be lesser than "film", film just sounds more professional and more grown up to me. With that being said their is nothing wrong with either and I would never say to someone "stop using that word" at any stage.

The only time I really use movie over film is when entering something into a search engine. Movie will almost always get better (more accurate and focused) results. I assume this is down to movies being more commonly used.

I'm glad for this thread. I use the word film all the time, but had tried not to use it much here, because I expected someway to say:

'Hey Citizen, it's the 21st century and that movie you're talking about is DIGITALLY Shot, not FILM.'

Luckily for me all's peachy and no one said that.

Well if he wants to get snooty about words, he could at least be grammatically correct when doing so. It should be "I just consider a "movie" to be lesser than "film."

I'd say they're virtually synonymous, but film encapsulates more widely moving images, whereas a movie is solely a cinema film.

Footage of a football match could be a film, for example, but you wouldn't describe that as a movie, unless it was filmed for cinematic purposes.

And yet, here you are on MovieForums.com
In my defense I can't change the name of the forum

Actually apparently spelling defense with a c is correct in some forms of English, so my bad there. But it still looks weird. Like you're ripping out a fence or something.