Actors and actresses only known for one role...

Tools    

The one that instantly comes to mind for me is Louise Fletcher, of One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest fame. I can't think of anything else she's been in.

What other actors and actresses are renowned for one particular role, but little else?

Ok these are known for others, but they're mainly known in these roles. I'd say a good percentage of people would know only these roles...

Mark Hamill as Luke Skywalker
Carrie Fisher as Leia

Michael J Fox as Marty McFly

Sigourney Weaver as Ellen Ripley

Although Seann William Scott has been in loads of different films in all of them he might as well be playing Stifler from American Pie as that seems to be the only role he can do.

Ok these are known for others, but they're mainly known in these roles. I'd say a good percentage of people would know only these roles...

Mark Hamill as Luke Skywalker
Carrie Fisher as Leia

Michael J Fox as Marty McFly

Sigourney Weaver as Ellen Ripley
I hardly think Michael J. Fox is only known as Marty McFly. And even though she's done a lot of other films, I would have to agree that Louise Fletcher will always be Nurse Ratched to other people. I would also agree that Seann William Scott will always be Stifler to most filmgoers.

We've gone on holiday by mistake
I think sometimes they get typecast, and no one will ever let them try something else.

My first thought is Malcolm McDowell in A Clockwork Orange. He's been in a ton of movies, but doesn't anyone automatically think of Alex when they hear his name?

Linda Blair for The Exorcist
Anthony Perkins for Psycho
Peter Weller for RoboCop
Jennifer Grey for Dirty Dancing

Macaulay Culkin in Home Alone

Sergeant Eugene Tackleberry in the Police Academy series of films (Real name: Paul David Graf)

My first thought is Malcolm McDowell in A Clockwork Orange. He's been in a ton of movies, but doesn't anyone automatically think of Alex when they hear his name?

Linda Blair for The Exorcist
Anthony Perkins for Psycho
Peter Weller for RoboCop
Jennifer Grey for Dirty Dancing
No argument regarding Linda Blair and Jennifer Grey.

Arthur Lake as Dagwood Bumsted in both the movies and a very short lived TV show.

Joe Flynn as Captain Binghamton in McHale's Navy.

He played in a few Disney movies and some bit parts on TV but it was as Capt. Binghamton that he was mainly know for.