The New Design Thread

Tools    

Okay, you can see the exact date and time if you hold your mouse over the link now. It used to say "Link to post" but I think the link's purpose is pretty easy to surmise without it.

Very old timey look to the site, and I remembered a video game called Bioshock. One of the best RPG FPS ever made, and it was based on an advanced society 100 years ago that had their own city named Rapture deep underwater. The overall atmosphere of the game was what made it a work of art than just being called a great game. The old timey mixed with sci-fi with interiors, lettering, and music. The new Movie Forums look would fit right in.

Very old timey look to the site, and I remembered a video game called Bioshock. One of the best RPG FPS ever made, and it was based on an advanced society 100 years ago that had their own city named Rapture deep underwater. The overall atmosphere of the game was what made it a work of art than just being called a great game. The old timey mixed with sci-fi with interiors, lettering, and music. The new Movie Forums look would fit right in
Good call, and high praise. Indeed, that kind of feel is definitely something I was aiming for from the beginning. Thank you.

Meanwhile: an update. As a few of you requested, I've excluded a handful of game/tab threads from the Now Playing box on the home page. They'll still display on the initial page load, they just won't refresh endlessly if they're really busy. You can probably guess most of them: Survivor, Big Brother, Word Association, etc. For now it's just a hard-coded solution, but hopefully at some point, if this ends up being a common thing in the future, I'll design something a little more robust.

Quick update: a fellow developer of mine (we "came up" on the same web development forum as teenagers) who runs ManagingCommunities.com invited me to write a guest article about the challenges of redesigning a community after such a long time. Looks like it'll probably be posted tomorrow.

It's targeted more at other forum owners so it has an instructional feel, but it might be of interest to some of you anyway, so I'll be sure to pop in here when it goes up so ya'll can read it if you want.

I still might write up a few more general thoughts about the whole thing before long, too, since it was such a long and windy process.

You better hope I don't make it back.
Quick update: a fellow developer of mine (we "came up" on the same web development forum as teenagers)...
I am that fellow developer and I just wanted to say here, as I have said to you privately, that you have done such a great job ushering in this new era of Movie Forums. Change is hard and when you've had the same design for 10 years, it is incredibly challenging to make a dramatic change and have it be so well received. You've made it look easy, but it is anything but. Congrats again Chris.

The article's up. Many thanks to Patrick for the invitation to write about this. And, of course, thanks to all of you for all the positive feedback.

This Online Community Had the Same Design for a Decade; Learn How They Launched a Redesign That Members Embraced

Excerpt:
A lot of site owners make the same mistake of designing for the launch, and not for the day-to-day, month-to-month, or even year-to-year process of running the site afterwards. They’ll trot out eye-popping, meticulously crafted post layouts that leave just enough room for the existing options and information, but which can’t be added to or changed without throwing the whole thing off. This makes a big splash, but seems superfluous after a week or two, never mind a year. Good, clean design might not make for a grander reveal, but the reveal is just a few days. The people who’re going to be there months later are the ones you’re designing for.

A system of cells interlinked

Working on the new Reviews area, and I think it's coming along pretty nicely. The community's been producing such a steady stream of great reviews that I think it's time we run the whole section off of those contributions. Keep it up guys--your work's going to be showcased a lot more soon!

"Hey Look it's Masterman"
Working on the new Reviews area, and I think it's coming along pretty nicely. The community's been producing such a steady stream of great reviews that I think it's time we run the whole section off of those contributions. Keep it up guys--your work's going to be showcased a lot more soon!
Look forward to seeing this .

haven't been here for a while. place looks awesome, love the noir style to it.

Not specifically to do with the new design but just wanted to ask if there's a way or a place to list the names of the reviews you've done? Just asking as I'm getting to the age when I forget things, so was going to review a film when I realised I might've done it before (which I had). I have seen people edit the first post in their review section and list the films they've reviewed. Is that the best way to do it? I just want a quick reference.

Okay, quick note on the new design: some of you may noticed that there are currently no ads on the site. I wanted to launch without them and take some time thinking about how to integrate them gracefully into the layout. It's been a couple of months, so I'll be gradually reintroducing some.

I'm gonna to try to integrate them as naturally as possible, and they might change a few times while I figure out what works best. Just a heads-up.

Executive summary: you've all been spoiled! You think bandwidth grows on trees?!

Just bumping the post above: I'll be reintegrating ads into the site soon to try to offset the new server costs. You'll probably notice a fair number of variation at first, while I try things to see what works best, both in terms of graceful integration and figuring out which ads are most effective.

That was removed, since basically nobody used it. If you need it for something I can PM you a link (since it's kind of messy looking, though still functional).