One Movie A Day Remix

→ in
Tools    

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Day 30: May 30th, 2010

Speed

Pop Quiz Hot Shot!!!

In light of recent events, I decided to watch a film in Dennis Hopper's honour. I decided on Speed, because it has one of his more entertaining roles, he plays an over the top villain somewhere in between the likes of Frank Booth from Blue Velvet and the bald guy with an eye patch from Waterworld.

"I saw this movie about a bus that had to speed around a city, keeping its speed over fifty, and if its speed dropped, it would explode! I think it was called 'The Bus That Couldn't Slow Down'." - Homer Simpson

That pretty much sums up this film, but to go a bit more in depth...

A disgruntled ex cop takes his issues out on other people with the creative use of bombs. Keanu Reeves saves the day by stopping an elevator bombing scare. This pisses Dennis Hopper off so much that he devises a new plan of putting a bomb on a bus. If the bus goes below 50, the bomb will go off. Can Keanu save the day?

And will we ever see a movie like this again? There is something about this film that makes it special. The action blockbuster that ignited the careers of both Sandra Bullock and Keanu Reeves. The film does not require a strong leading man, just someone who is able to pull off these stunts. Reeves is able to make it look legit and even though people complain about his acting, he is in no way irritating. Bullock spends most of the film behind the wheel of the bus, so of course she falls in love with the guy. Wait, what? Ah, who cares, right? This kind of stuff always happened in the 90's. Girl falls in love with the good looking guy who saves the day. But those relationships never last (evidence in the lame sequel)

Dennis Hopper is one bad ass guy. He plays crazy so well, his role here is not Blue Velvet Frank Booth crazy, but cray nonetheless. He does the villain role so well that it's hard to imagine him as any other than that. The film is even more enjoyable due to the supporting cast of characters that are on the bus with the two stars. Jeff Daniels plays the buddy cop part, but due to the events in the opening of the film, has to stay at home for the exciting parts on the bus.

With the exception of the bus jumping the gap in the highway scene, which makes me roll my eyes every single time, the film is entertaining and will keep your interest. For a film to take place on a bus for 80% of the film, they did a really good job of not letting that annoy the audience. The film is the perfect formula for action junkies. It has a lot of those adrenaline rush scenes. For me it kind of looses it's steam when the film goes to the subway, but that doesn't ruin the overall excitement and feel of the film.

Speed is one of the best action films of the 90's. There, I said it. I can probably sit down and watch it and never really feel bored. Kudos for making the film watchable many times and still have that rush. A lot of action films on repeat viewings loose that.

R.I.P Dennis Hopper

Suspect's Reviews

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Yesterday, I watched Easy Rider, Easy Rider: Shaking the Cage and Speed. I gave them each
, so I agree with you. The only thing you didb't mention was Jeff Daniels who contributed plenty to the movie. I'm also starting to think that whether it was subliminal or not, Easy Rider may have influenced my outlook on life as much as any film ever made.

Day 31: May 31st, 2010

SpongeBob SquarePants

Views From Someone Who Never Watches Show

King Neptune's crown is stolen and it is up to Spongebob to get it back.

Before I go on with this review, which will probably be a short one, let me say this. I never got the appeal of the show. I didn't understand why so many kids loved this show nor did I ever watch an episode. It grew bigger and bigger and spawned a film. Going into the film not expecting much from a television animated show to a feature film, I can tell you this. I loved it. I never expected to laugh so much during this film, yet it struck all the right cords for me.

The comedy is hard to pin down because a lot of it makes kids laugh, yet there is so much engraved in this film that it will have the adults laughing too. I was in stitches when David Hasselhoff shows up in Baywatch gear in one of the most random cameos of all time. The two animated characters ride him across the water to get back home. Random? Weird? Hilarious? All three of those rolled into one. That is the style of humour, don't think it's funny? Skip this film.

The film has many recognizable actors supplying their voices, such as Alec Baldwin, Scarlett Johansson, ,Jeffrey Tambor and a favourite of mine who is also a regular cast members, Clancy Brown. The film is really goofy and the animation supports this. At times it changes a bit and you get a Ren and Stimpy style shot, no complaints, just random for a kids show.

I don't really know how to recommend this film. I for one never watched the show and loved the film. People who are fans of the show also seemed to enjoy the flick. I guess if you are into sophisticated humour, you'd have to skip this one. This is really a silly, goofy and immature movie...and I loved it.

I'm also starting to think that whether it was subliminal or not, Easy Rider may have influenced my outlook on life as much as any film ever made.
I've never seen the film, care to tell me why?

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
I tend to live my life to give myself as much freedom as possible and I always have. I've quit jobs which were very well paying because I didn't respect my bosses and couldn't respect myself if I continued to allow incompetent bureaucrats tell me how to do a job for which I'd already received commendations and bonuses. In the film, Jack Nichoson's character says that "It's hard to be free when you are bought and sold in the marketplace." I probably quote that line more than any other whether it involves a job, politics, ethics, sports, movies or life in general. That's also one reason why I've never become a "conservative" because I've somehow been able to get through life without playing "The Man's" game and becoming just another brick in the wall (or at least I like to believe that about myself).

I was too young to be a hippie, but I still believe in something as simple as "Make Love, Not War". Easy Rider showed that people could search for the "American Dream" but in the late '60s, the odds were that if you didn't fit in, you would never find it. The problem was that fitting in didn't seem to help fulfill anybody but it did breed contempt for others unlike you, and I find that to be the opposite of what I would hope would be American ideals.

I've posted these before around the site. They aren't spoilers, so they will show you what i'm talking about.

Then again, I also find the sense of humor and general creativity of the film to be of a high order. This is a scene from the night before where Nicholson tries grass for the first time.

&feature=related

Day 32: June 1st, 2010

The Game

The Ending Did Not Ruin The Film For Me.

Nicholas Van Orton is given a strange birthday gift from his brother. It's a card that tells him to go to this place called CRS, Consumer Recreation Services. They give Nicholas a chance to be a participant in a game. Things get a little too out of hand when the game itself becomes life threatening and Nicholas can't seem to stop it.

The Game is never really mentioned when talking about Fincher and his body of work, good or bad it gets left on the cutting room floor. I guess it's because the film is the middleman sort to speak. You have Se7en, and Fight Club, his two most popular and fan favourite films. Then you have Panic Room and Alien 3, considered lower calibre. Zodiac and Benjamin Button seem to be in a totally different class here, but The Game deserves to be mentioned because it is a well written, thought provoking thriller that manages to peel away at it's mysteries and never have the viewer bored. Even the film's ending, which many people seem to complain about, did not make me hate the film, or think the first 80 or so minutes were a waste.

The film looks and feels just like Fincher's others. It's cold, dark and unforgiving. He manages to craft his most suspenseful film to date and having Michael Douglass run around trying to solve the mystery helps the case. I'm a sucker for films full of mystery, that slowly but surely peel away at those mysteries to reveal the truth. A lot of crime films are like this, but The Game is something different. A bit more psychological, another reason why I liked it so much. Much like Memento, we are lost like the lead character. We know it's a game, he knows it's a game. But we, nor him, know exactly what the game is or what is happening next. We are trying to solve the same mysteries and Fincher makes us care about these things.

Complaints for the film are ones that would have me base the film is reality. To believe the stuff that happens in the film is for one to suspend a lot of belief. The film ends in a way that made me think whether I liked it or not. I would have preferred the first ending, as opposed to the second one, but the way they did it didn't ruin the film. I'm not sure how I will feel on repeated viewings, but as it stands, the thrills were still there and I still enjoyed them. I'm still left with some character motivation questions, some that I will not go into for the sake of spoiling things in the film.

Douglass, whom I usually hate, does a great job here. He is a jerk that slowly begins to unwind his sanity. His Gordon Gekko demeanor works here and yet we still root for his character. Sean Penn has a small role, one too small for me to really comment on and the supporting cast usually only have a scene or two to do anything. Deborah Kara Unger plays a good role in which we have to decide whether or not we trust her. She usually plays wackos.

The Game is something that might frustrate you with the ending, but that's what films are all about, getting some kind of emotional response. I'm not a fan of the last 3 or 4 minutes, to me it seemed to be tacked on by pressure of the studio and would not be something Fincher would normally do. But in the end, The Game is a worthy film if you are looking for a suspenseful thriller.

Day 33: June 2nd, 2010

I Love You Philip Morris.

A Hard Movie To Sell To Jim Carrey Fans

Steven Russell was a gay man married to a woman. Once he decided to come out and leave her, he became a con artist, which eventually led to him getting caught and thrown in prison. This is where he met Philip Morris and they became lovers. What happened next involves dozens of escape attempts, multiple impersonations and a love story that is funny, depressing and real.

Jim Carrey has two film careers, the one where he makes his stupid faces and sings out of his butt and the other in which he goes the more dramatic route and gets recognized at the Golden Globes, but not the Oscars. With his latest film, he walks a very fine line of comedy and drama. I Love You Philip Morris, right from the start was going to be a hard sell to the movie going public. It openly featured gay men and gay relationships in the forefront. Jim Carrey's target audience isn't the same type who would probably go see Brokeback Mountain, another film that prominently featured two gay male leads.

After watching the film, I decided to look up how much of it was true, since the film opens with the words "This Really Happened...It Really Did" and to my surprise pretty much everything that Jim Carrey does in the film, the real Steven Russell pulled off. Steven Russell has received the nicknames of Houdini and King of Con. His outlandish attempts to get out of prison worked every time, no matter how bizarre they were.

Jim Carrey plays the role where he loses himself in the character. There are scenes that are truly dramatic and test his emotional depth, then there are scenes in which he has to throw himself down some stairs. As I said earlier, he walks a fine line of comedy and drama here. Ewan McGregor is Philip Morris, a shy, soft spoken blonde haired and blue eyed man who falls in love with Jim Carrey while in prison. He isn't given much to do until one emotional scene that requires McGregor to do some pretty intense stuff. He gives more emotion in one phone call in this film then he did in all three of the Star Wars prequels.

I Love You Philip Morris is tackled by Glenn Ficarra and John Requa. Two writers in the directing chair for the first time. They don't shy away from the homosexuality of the film. It's never shy to show you what it wants to show you, if that involves Jim Carrey having sex doggy style all sweaty with a Freddie Mercury wannabe, then so be it. The film plays out with a sense of danger and excitement. Seeing the ingenious ways of how he escaped each time is interesting and fun to watch. The film handles both comedy and drama in a weird way. But based on how the real story happened, it was the best way they could.

I Love You Philip Morris is a funny film, at times. It's never a laugh out loud riot. It has a story to tell and it's a love story. The relationship between the two leads is more real than any romantic comedy you'll find this year. The problem is that it might get lost in the style of the film. It felt odd at times, not knowing when to be funny or not. This is a role for Jim Carrey and it isn't. This is a romance film about love, not Jim Carrey having a funny good time.

Day 34: June 3rd, 2010

Get Low

A Great Performance To Bookend A Great Career.

Felix Bush is a hermit, he lives all alone in the backwoods and he likes it that way. He has a sign that reads 'no trespassing', when someone trespasses, he puts up another sign 'no damn trespassing'. One day a priest arrives to inform him of a death, someone he knows. He then gets the idea to have a funeral party for himself, while he is still alive.

If Robert Duvall were to stop acting now then he can be proud of his career. He surely will continue to act, because he's darn good at it, but with Get Low he manages to give a performance that is both emotional and real. The film is loosely based on real events and Duvall, along with the supporting cast are able to bring this dry period piece to a rather enjoyable close.

Get Low is something that many people will think is boring, and it is at parts. If it weren't for the performance from Duvall, then the film would be rated lower in my books. Bill Murray, Bill Cobbs and Lucas Black all share the screen time, but never do much to really hold a scene with Duvall. They are good, but Duvall simply outshines them all. One scene in particular comes to mind and it's the most interesting part of the film itself, near the end. Duvall gives a speech and it feels real, you feel the humanity in his performance and speech, as if someone's grandfather were telling them a story for the first time.

Lucas Black's role could have been played by anyone. Unfortunately for Black, he hasn't matured enough as an actor to make this role memorable or even important. I give him points for starring in a film like this, more attempts like this and he might be enjoyable. Bill Murray channels his Broken Flowers role here. He saunters along and throws in the occasional smart ass remark. Sissy Spacek plays an old friend of Felix, they have history together. Certain revelations are made in the film that put a heavy strain on their so called friendship.

The film at first is about this man who wants to throw a funeral party, but but the film's end, it seems as if it was never about that at all. The most important scene is indeed at his funeral party, but it's for reasons only revealed to the viewer at that particular moment. Felix has a secret, a reason he is all alone now. The film doesn't really try to get us to guess what it is or care about it until really late in the story.

Get Low looks great and is directed confidently. The film has a wooden golden glow to it. Very appropriate considering Felix is a carpenter of some sort. It plays well in the time line it's characters are in and never feels fake. There have been some talk about Oscars for this film. While I don't really think it has a chance in any department, the only one that wouldn't surprise me is Robert Duvall. His honest portrayal of a broken man that hates himself should be recognized. Get Low is something that not many film goers will appreciate, but those looking for good performances from veteran actors (Black being the exception) will find something to like in Get Low. I know I did.

Day 34: June 4th, 2010

Shark Tale

Big Name Stars Don't Make The Film Any Better.

A mafia film of sorts, set underwater and with fish. Will Smith is Oscar, a fish that lies about killing a shark. The shark was actually killed by a dropped anchor, yet Oscar was at the scene and is now known as the Sharkslayer. Mob Boss Robert DeNiro hears about his son's death and takes matters into his own hands, this doesn't bode well for Oscar.

Shark Tale at first glance seems to be a mere rip off of Finding Nemo. The Pixar film that had fish as their main characters was charming, funny and adventurous. It's not fair to compare the two, since this film lacks all of those ingredients. Shark Tale instead relies on pop-culture references to get the adults smirking and the bright colourful fish to get the kids wanting the toys. The story, the animation and the fun are all below the bar. With every film that is released by Dreamworks, the inevitable will happen. People will compare it to Pixar. Pixar is simply in another league, they seem to care about their stories and characters and not just having a bunch of people cash in on the current craze.

Shark Tale has an impressive cast, if this were a live action dramatic film, starring Will Smith, Angelina Jolie, Robert DeNiro and was directed by Scoresese, then we might have a masterpiece on our hands. Alas, the actors of this world think that just because they lend their voice to an animated character, that their job is half done for them. Jack Black works in this film, even DeNiro, who plays up on his past roles. Jolie, Zellweger and Smith do not. They have nothing to add to the film that some nameless actress/actor could have done.

There is no sense of adventure. We are trapped under the sea instead of exploring the depths of this world. It was interesting to see the fish life here, but I'm sure we've all seen creative takes on modern life in a film that has an odd setting, The Flinstones is famous for this.

I still hear people talking about Finding Nemo today, hell even older animated films like Toy Story, but Shark Tale seemed to have faded the next day after the release. It's not memorable to kids, nor will adults find any real charm or wit. The film tries to hard with a lot of the jokes and references that it becomes tiresome.

Shark Tale fails because it would rather have big name stars on the poster, than a tangible and interesting story. I'm sorry, but at the end of the day, what matters most in a film is the story. Sure, it can be done before, but as long as the story teller and the story telling is good and has my interest, I'm game. Shark Tale did none of this and it felt lazy, much like the cast.

Day 36: June 5th, 2010

The Breakfast Club

The Ultimate Teen Flick?

A group of kids are sent to detention on a Saturday for various reasons. They are all different, from the nerd, the jock, the rebel, the princess and the weirdo. These kids manage to find out things about each other and themselves while serving detention.

Even though I was born in 1987, two years after the film was released, I can relate to it. That's what makes The Breakfast Club so damn good, kids generations later can still relate to the characters and their problems. John Hughes is the one person in the film industry who got what teenagers desired, were scared of and felt. The man was/is a legend and the 80's belonged to him. The Breakfast Club is one of my favourites from him. Planes, Trains and Automobiles still takes the top spot, but The Breakfast Club has more of an emotional connection to the viewer.

The cast, also known as the Brat Pack, do a wonderful job filling in their high school clichéd roles. Emilio Estevez , the mighty duck man I swear to god, plays the jock. He has an intense and emotional scene that felt like an anthem for millions of teens going through the same problems. The same goes for the other characters, all have problems in their lives that every other teenager can relate to. Whether it's Judd Nelson and his abusive father or Michael Anthony Hall and the pressure to do well in school.

Paul Gleason is wonderfully evil as the principal who seems to have a hate for these kids. His speeches are great to listen to and he nails the role. His performance is my favourite the in the film. Look out for that John Hughes cameo at the end as the kids are picked up from detention. That's a little something extra for you folks at home that dig that kind of stuff.

The music rocks, the theme is still played today and is immediately associated with the film. There are many memorable scenes, too many to mention and the overall feel of the film has numerous re-watch capabilities. When people think of John Hughes, the one film I think that they will immediately go to is The Breakfast Club. Not only was it the film the teenagers of the 80's could relate to, but it's a film that will live on and touch the hearts of many others. It's funny, depressing and emotionally challenges you. It doesn't treat you like an idiot, Hughes knew his audience and treated the kids with the intelligence he knew they had.

I am all caught up now I have watched the Breakfast Club twice this year

Welcome to the human race...
Now I'm reminded of the fan theory I read online a while back about how Bender actually comes from a good background with nice parents but pretends to be from an abusive household as an act of rebellion.

Now I'm reminded of the fan theory I read online a while back about how Bender actually comes from a good background with nice parents but pretends to be from an abusive household as an act of rebellion.
Interesting, that would make me ask the question: Where are his parents at the end?

If he came from a good family, surely they would know he had detention and pick him up right?

Day 37: June 6th, 2010

Forrest Gump

A Film Everyone Should Watch.

So my good friend Powdered Water recommended Forrest Gump for me in my last attempt at this, I didn't get a chance to get to it. Now I have and that's one more off the list. Sooner or later, every film that was recommended to me will be watched, as long as I can get a copy of it.

Forrest Gump tells the story of, well Forrest Gump. The man was born with some disabilities, but he has overcome them and somehow seems to be present at a lot of historical moments. He's in love with his childhood friend Jenny, who constantly eludes him.

The film that beat my favourite film of all time at the Oscars. I'm not hating it, I think that both films deserved the title. Forrest Gump is something else. It seems to have been one of those, right place at the right time flicks. Everything about it simply works, it's heartwarming, funny, intelligent and depressing.

Tom Hanks gave us an unforgettable performance that goes down in history as one of the greatest. He is lost in this character and Gump takes a life of it's own. Probably one of the most lovable characters in the history of cinema. Jenny, the woman of his affections is played by Robin Wright Penn, her performance is almost saddening. Her life is constantly spiraling out of control and you can do nothing to stop it. Gary Sinise is hilarious as Lt. Dan, the hard ass in the army who loses his legs. We love to hate it at the beginning, then we come around, much like his character.

Speaking of losing legs, despite the film not needing a heavy load of CGI, it uses it beautifully. Inserting Gump into old footage and giving Sinise the lack of legs among other things. These are small things compared to what people are doing today, but Zemeckis has always been one to push technology in films, here he does it very well and never does it encompass the film. The story is forefront, something that he needs to get back into.

Forrest Gump is an everyman film. Meaning the almost everyone will like it. Some political messages may turn people the other way, but the overall feel of the film is something that a lot of people share. Every once in a while there is one film that touches a lot of people, I think Forrest Gump is one of those films. Even though the film goes off in many different directions, it works. Forrest in the army in one segment, then running around the country in another? I love it.

Welcome to the human race...
Interesting, that would make me ask the question: Where are his parents at the end?

If he came from a good family, surely they would know he had detention and pick him up right?
You never know. They could always be those cold, distant parents that couldn't really care about what Bender gets up to, which would explain the fact that he's a troublemaker that's constantly getting Saturday detentions.

You never know. They could always be those cold, distant parents that couldn't really care about what Bender gets up to, which would explain the fact that he's a troublemaker that's constantly getting Saturday detentions.
But then he wouldn't be from a 'good' family, would he?

Day 38: June 7th, 2010

The Rundown

A Fun Film Showcasing The Rock's Talents.

Loosely based on Midnight Run, Beck is sent to retrieve Travis from the Amazon. One last job before he can quite and open up his restaurant. Along the way things don't go according to plan and the two of them have to fight for their lives.

After his brief cameo in The Mummy Returns and the lead role in the forgettable The Scorpion King, it seemed that The Rundown would be his first true chance at taking over the action franchise from the likes of Arnold, who coincidentally has a cameo in this film. The Rundown does just that, shows The Rock in a lighthearted, action oriented funny film that showcases his talent as an actor. He's not another Hulk Hogan making movies because he can, but he actually has some talent. The guy is fun to watch on the screen and his film career since then has proved so.

The Rock get physical in this film, all the fights scenes are stylized to the point of exaggeration. This doesn't detract from the film, it sets up the viewer for the way the film will play out. The fight scene that uses this stylized violence the most is when The Rock takes on the rebels and Keno from Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. Can a simple kick really throw him in the air like that, just to be kicked again mid air? I don't think so. If you can get pass this style of action, then the Rundown will be entertaining.

Sean William Scott manages to break out of his Stifler role, something he tried to do earlier with Bulletproof Monk. Here he has a better co-star to play his comedy off of. Since then he seems to have been hit or miss with his films and continues to star in films with The Rock. Here, Scott isn't irritating, so that is a plus, with the exception of one scene in which he reuses his Evolution joke of making a bird call.

Rosario Dawson and Christohper Walken are the supporting players, both plays their roles with no real memorable parts. Rosario Dawson is almost completely forgettable in a role that is underwritten and Walken just seems to be doing his own thing, which he always does in films. We let him get away with it because his Christopher Freakin Walken.

Peter Berg did well with this one, he manages to balance both comedy and action very well and the sequences are entertaining to watch. It helps that he has two stars that played well off each other and could pull off the physical stunts required from the roles. The Rundown isn't something to jump up and down about or rush out to see either. It's a film that you can sit down and watch randomly one day and not be upset about it afterwards.