One Movie A Day Review Thread

→ in
Tools    

I gotta agree with Moore's unwillingness to have his material adapted for the screen , because none of the films have ever been comparable to the original text.

He might respond nicer to the film adaptations if they would ever be done by well respected directors/writers and turned out good. V for Vendetta had such amazingly lackluster visual flair , it looked just goofball cheesy most the time (see also : Tim Burton's Batman).

Especially Watchmen , his masterpiece - everyone on the forums seems to give it about a
: which IS a slap in the face to the novel. If it were properly done it would easily be a
without question to practically everyone (see also : Watchmen the graphic novel).

I mean assume Watchmen was directed by any big modern director : Coens , Peter Jackson , Scorsese , Spielberg , Fincher , PTA , Nolan - or the two who passed Aronofsky or Gilliam.

How much better would it have been ? Alan Moore , write a screenplay.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
I gotta agree with Moore's unwillingness to have his material adapted for the screen , because none of the films have ever been comparable to the original text.
Has any film really?

Especially Watchmen , his masterpiece - everyone on the forums seems to give it about a
: which IS a slap in the face to the novel. If it were properly done it would easily be a
without question to practically everyone (see also : Watchmen the graphic novel).
If it were done shot for page of the GN, I would be BORED TO DEATH!!!! No offense, I'm a huge Watchmen fan, but I did not sit down and read that thing in one sitting. The film would have failed even worse at the box office, and no one would have liked it. There is being close to thew material, and too close. I thought it was done as good as it could have been and even then it dragged in some places.

I mean assume Watchmen was directed by any big modern director : Coens , Peter Jackson , Scorsese , Spielberg , Fincher , PTA , Nolan - or the two who passed Aronofsky or Gilliam.

How much better would it have been ? Alan Moore , write a screenplay.
I completely disagree with this statement. I don't think ANY of those guys would know how to direct this film, save for many one or two. Are any of them fans? If not, they would have completely missed the idea of Watchmen. What made this film good was that Snyder was a fan. Plus, Spielberg would just have John Wiliams score blasting through EVERY scene.

Suspect's Reviews

I think Goodfellas , There Will Be Blood , No Country for Old Men (which is insanely close to it's book) - are some films that work better on the film medium than their respective novels work in the text medium.

I don't think at all the movie would have to be shot for shot to be amazing , but so many huge important parts of the book aren't brought to the film - that the moments it does have seem a lot less powerful (ex : when they take his mask off).

Also , I do think any of those directors could have directed a better Watchmen - they are simply much better at conveying the complex themes of the book on film. Look at their films , lots of them have much in common with Watchmen.

Chappie doesn't like the real world
This is, surprisingly, one of my favourite Scorsese films. When he has his masterpiece and high-profile films, this one sneaks under the radar and does not disappoint.
It's one of my favorites of Scorsese's as well. I know a lot of people who hate this movie, and I don't get it. I think it's a damned good film.

I'm a big fan of V for Vendetta too. Glad to see both movies getting some love.

DAY 113: December 24th, 2008.

The Promotion

The Promotion is billed as a comedy about two guys who both compete for the same position...a promotion. I sat there watching this film, waiting to be entertained, waiting to laugh and waiting to see these characters battle for said promotion. This is a film that just goes through the motions and does not let the comedy roll with it. It's an unfunny, undecided film that lost it's focus from the script stage.

The two leads are Sean William Scott and John C. Reilly, both can be funny at times, here they mostly are not. Reilly, gets a few smirks, but here he feels so constrained and you can see it on his face. He wants to let go, but never gets the chance to. Scott plays the same character he's been playing as of late, a joe blow loser. The total opposite of what first made him famous. He plays the role straight, no laughs from him. He seems to be trying to leave the immature image of him at the door, it doesn't seem to be working because he is boring people to death.

The main problem with the film is that these two guys don't battle for said promotion. I think they try to trip the other one up once or twice, but that's it. This is a huge disappointment, since if they actually did do any of this, it might have made the film more interesting.

The film doesn't play up the environment either. You'd think it would too. It's set at a grocery store, like Employee of the Month. But, instead of focusing on funny situations at this place, it focuses more on the pathetic characters and their pathetic lives. Hmm, interesting take, only we don't give a rats ass about any of these people.

The film also has more swearing then I thought it would, it all seems out of place and out of tone with the rest of the film. Not a huge problem, but it just doesn't make it flow very well.

DAY 114: December 25th, 2008.

Christmas Vacation

Mr. Chase was popular at one point in time, he was the first cast member to leave SNL and have a big movie career. I look back at this and wonder why? What is it about him that people liked? We look at him now and laugh, at him, not with him. He's considered an ******* by his friends and unfunny by many others. Is Christmas Vacation his one true good film among the crap list? Is the film even good, or just something to pop in for the Christmas spirit?

Whatever the case may be, this film is one of the very few where I can stand Chase. His other vacation movies don't inspire a lot of confidence, but Christmas Vacation is different. I think it's because they don't go anywhere.

It's definitely a film that is considered a classic and has Chase at the top of his game. He can be funny with the right material. This film is one that is crude and proud of it, something not many Christmas films can say. The opening sequence is a classic that has the film getting their tree and the film has many other memorable scenes as well. Which is why the film has lasted in the minds of so many people, it has those scenes that stick out to you. Whether it be the cuss rant, squirrel in a tree or setting up the lights, there are many different scenes that end up being fan favourites.

This is a film that needs to be watched in December and only December. Watching it any other time just feels wrong.

DAY 115: December 26th, 2008.

Home Alone

I'm almost always afraid of watching childhood favourites, for the fear they will not hold up well as I'm older. This happened with Temple of Doom and many crappy horror flicks. Home Alone is no exception, as a kid I loved the scenes in which it was the kid VS the bad guys and it seemed to go on forever, I loved it. Now as I watch it I find the confrontation shorter and not as epic. I still have a place in my heart for the film and I still enjoyed it.

After all, this is the flick that made that kid a huge star. having seen Joe Pesci in here before his other films is interesting. He seems more scary here then in Goodfellas. I would always debate over with myself (cause I'm awesome like that) as to who got it worse. It usually changes with each viewing.

The film plays out like a cartoon in the last act, no person can endure those hardships and still be going after the kid. Blow torch to the head, nail in the foot? Ouch.

The film has some pretty crappy sequels, but this one still is the best and even though not AS good as I remember it, it holds up well, just for the fact that I still get a kick out of watching those two go through the booby traps.

hehehe, I said booby.

DAY 116: December 27th, 2008.

Fargo

It took my a second viewing it appreciate this flick. The first time I saw it I was....not in the right state of mind

The Coens blend their dark comedy routine into this murder story and create an instant classic. The shock and awe of one particular scene is lost on me because I saw this film years after it's release and knew about it before hand. Yet it still had an impact on me.

Steve Buscemi is perfect as the 'funny looking fella' who never shuts up (which is why he is constantly told to shut up by Walter in The Big Lebowski) and the counterpart of Peter Stomare is chilling. When the kidnap the wife, it works in both comedy and terror.

William H. Macy plays the loser who comes up with this so called brilliant plan, but it never goes his way. People say when you write a script, you throw your character in a tree and while up there throw rocks at him. At the end you let him down, but with Fargo, Macy stays up there. He takes a beating in this film and nothing works out for him.

The script is written with a sense of irony. It is a serious crime drama and the Coen's sprinkle of comedy throughout. The film is brilliant in a way. Specifically when we see Buscemi walk up the backyard steps of the house he's about to break into while the wife just sits there watching him speechless. It's not until he literally breaks the glass that she screams and runs away. Funny and entertaining stuff, it works so well in this film.

I'm upset I didn't see this one sooner then I did and that I wasn't a fan the first time around. The film shows the talent of the Coens and their ability to create something that will b e remembered years from now.

DAY 114: December 25th, 2008.

Christmas Vacation

Mr. Chase was poplar at one point in time, he was the first cast member to leave SNL and have a big movie career. I look back at this and wonder why? What is it about him that people liked? We look at him now and laugh, at him, not with him. He's considered an ******* by his friends and unfunny by many others. Is Christmas Vacation his one true good film among the crap list? Is the film even good, or just something to pop in for the Christmas spirit?

Whatever the case may be, this film is one of the very few where I can stand Chase. His other vacation movies don't inspire a lot of confidence, but Christmas Vacation is different. I think it's because they don't go anywhere.

It's definitely a film that is considered a classic and has Chase at the top of his game. He can be funny with the right material. This film is one that is crude and proud of it, something not many Christmas films can say. The opening sequence is a classic that has the film getting their tree and the film has many other memorable scenes as well. Which is why the film has lasted in the minds of so many people, it has those scenes that stick out to you. Whether it be the cuss rant, squirrel in a tree or setting up the lights, there are many different scenes that end up being fan favourites.

This is a film that needs to be watched in December and only December. Watching it any other time just feels wrong.

Every Christmas I always find myself watching it, and it never gets old. When Chevy Chase flips out towards the end is probably my favorite scene in the film. Also, I always enjoyed Vegas Vacation, as well as National Lampoon's Vacation. I didn't care for European Vacation.

"It's a year long subscription to the Jelly-of-the-Month Club."

"Clark, that's the gift that keeps on giving."
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

DAY 117: December 28th, 2008.

The Pianist

It took me this long to actually watch the entire film, not because I couldn't, or wouldn't, but simply because it was never a top priority. After watching the whole thing, I can't believe how stupid I was. This film is an experience everyone should have, the horrors of the war and the holocaust are nothing easy to view and this film doesn't side step the subject matter either.

The Pianist is no Schindler's List, but it never tries to. It's no second rate Schindler either, it's telling it's own story and the two are powerful on their own merits. Polanski even adds in his own personal experiences, thus making it more personal.

Adrien Brody is astonishing. I was upset he won he the Oscar, even though I didn't see the film at that time. Now after viewing it, I am satisfied. He gives a heartbreaking performance and seeing his transformation from start to finish shows the dedication Brody took to this role.

The film does not tread lightly on the subject matter either, there are numerous scenes that will shock the viewer. I gasped a couple times and could only imagine what some of the characters were thinking at the time, specifically the scene in which the German officer had to reload his gun just to shoot the man on the ground.

My favourite shot is when Brody is walking down the isolated street, full of luggage and personal belongings, crying over the death of his family, as it rains down ash. Amazing work.

I think The Pianist is a film about survival, and not just the survival of the body. It's in my top 100 so I'm glad to see you liked it.

DAY 118: December 29th, 2008.

Darkman

What to think of Darkman? Where does this film lie in the heap of other films that Sam 'Evil-Dead' Raimi has given us? I honestly do not know. It's not the best film, nor the worst. It's average, with moments of brilliance. I wanted to love this flick, but ended up just enjoying it for the fun ride that it is.

You can tell that Raimi had his hands all over this one, his trademark film style is here and his sense of comedy. Seeing Liam Neeson in this role is a bit bizarre, it's neither serious, nor comedic. Darkman is still a mystery to me, maybe that's what I find so appealing? It never really has any comedic moments, but with every frame you sort of expect something funny to happen. I don't know if it was just me, but I got that feeling the whole time.

I enjoyed that the lead character is suppose to be a type of 'superhero' yet he's insane. He gets burned so bad that he becomes impervious to pain, and is a test subject for some kind of adrenaline rush. Before all this he was a scientist experimenting on synthetic skin, which he uses to disguise himself as other people. Creepy, weird and awesome, all rolled into one.

Darkman is something I could probably watch more times then Spiderman and it has the special distinction of standing out from Raimi's other flicks. Give it a look.

DAY 119: December 30th, 2008.

Escape From L.A.

There is no way I would enjoy this more then Escape From New York, I knew that from the get go, so I decided to enjoy it on it's own merits and I did. Escape From L.A. is so underrated, I chuckle every time someone mentions how they didn't like it. I think that makes me like it even more. It's so campy and serious at the same time that you can't not have a fun time with it.

Kurt Russel....baddass. As usual, nothing new here. Who else can win that basketball scene? The supporting characters include Steve Buscemi, Pam Grier, Stacy Keach and Peter Fonda. Let's not forget to include a small cameo role from Bruce Campbell, who looks unrecognizable...until he speaks.

The world of L.A. was interesting enough to keep me interested. I like seeing this world and everything inside of L.A. Every corner was something different a new, some new type of world within this broken place.

I enjoyed a lot of Carpenter films, I find all of them to be underrated honestly. JC's Vampires is a real gem and Ghost of Mars isn't as bad as people really think it is. Does he make campy sci/fi and horror flicks? He sure does, and I do love em.

DAY 120: December 31st, 2008.

Once Upon A Time In Mexico

I was mislead by the previews for this one. It showed a lot of Hayek. I wanted a lot of Hayek....I got only a little Hayek. Knowing this was a third film to a trilogy, and having only seen Desperado I figured I knew enough about the story to be able to follow along.

The main problem though, is so much story is in the back story. Hayek's character only appears in flashbacks, dreams and a good portion of the film is based on the conflict of this character. Hayek, looked stunning by the way and so did Mendes.

Depp saved the film, with his comedic role as the FBI agent who seems to switch sides. Argh, there goes another problem. Too many flip flops in this movie. The good guys are bad and the bad guys are good. What?

The action sequences are well shot, but not too inspiring. They seemed watered down compared to the earlier entry. Also the sense of realism is lost in this film. People fly all over the place from gun shots and sparks emit from their bodies. So expect a small bit a fantasy here and there in that sense.

The film as a hole doesn't have a lot of depth, which was my main problem. It has amazing moments, but that is attributed to the actors and their characters. I wanted more from this film and it just delivered the bare minimum. But you can still have fun with the bare minimum.

Welcome to the human race...
I love how you managed to review Once Upon a Time in Mexico without once mentioning Antonio Banderas as the lead. Very uncharismatic and one-dimensional role he had there.