23rd MoFo Hall of Fame

Tools    

Thrilled to see you love it now, cricket. I remembered you posting on my movie log after I watched it the first time and you had said that you didn't like it. I either didn't know or had forgotten that you'd rewatched it and changed your mind so I was a little nervous what you'd think now.

I may have to give Victim a try just from curiosity. I don't think I'd ever seen another movie like this one.

ETA: Just watched the trailer. Looks pretty ****ed up but damn they got one unattractive dude to play the surgeon.
Victim is pretty good although I've only seen it once and it's been awhile.

The Skin I Live In
(La piel que habito)
(2011)
Directed by Pedro Almodóva
nominated by @Miss Vicky

A psychological thriller of a surgeon who lost two precious things in his life, his wife and his daughter. With his skills as a surgeon, he is able to bring both of them back and seek revenge as well.

I had seen this many years ago and I thought "wtf" at the end of the movie. Antonio Banderas is a good actor and this role fits him. I thought it was a clever storyline and it was a nice rewatch. It is a movie I would recommend to fans of this genre. The story is way out there however, at times, it can move at a slow pace.

It is one of the best films I have seen so far of this HOF.

Gangs of New York
(2002)
Directed by Martin Scorsese
Nominated by @neiba

A period piece loosely based on the Five Corners gangs in the City of New York. A son of a Catholic gang leader seeks revenge on the man who killed his father while falling in love with a female thief.

I saw this film at the cinema when it first came out in 2002. Being a huge fan of Daniel Day-Lewis at the time, it was not my movie choice for the weekend but my 9-year old daughter's. She was the only child in the theatre house during the movie. I know for a fact that Day-Lewis is a master at character acting. He is amazing in everything I have seen. DiCaprio and Diaz were new to the acting scene and played great parts as well. I loved that Brendan Gleeson was in the film as well as the small scene of Liam Neeson. There are many faces that are popular nowdays.

Back then, I really enjoyed the film and still, today, when I see it on tv, prime, Netflix, or any other streaming site that I'm able to view, I may catch it. It is a fairly long film so I do make sure I have time to watch it.

Gangs of New York (2002)
Directed By: Martin Scorsese
Starring: Leonardo DiCaprio, Daniel Day-Lewis, Cameron Diaz

My biggest problem with Gangs of New York is that it starts off on the wrong foot. There's just so much noise it immediately gives me a headache, putting me in a horrible mood that makes it difficult to continue watching. It doesn't help that the discordant sounds are followed by a blurry, boring action sequence that seems as if it wants viewers to care about what's happening, but it's not even remotely engaging to me because I don't know who any of these characters are. Both of the times I've watched this film, the end of that fight scene was when I turned it off for the first time.

While the film doesn't become quite as grating ever again, it doesn't manage to catch my interest either. I kept coming back to Gangs of New York each day for another piecemeal viewing, hoping that something would impress me. Unfortunately I was always disappointed, and it never felt like anything other than a chore to watch. You can tell that the film was a labour of love for Scorsese, but I think he needed another voice to help refine his ideas, or at least someone willing to keep the reels in the editing room for a little longer.

There's a huge exposition dump early on about the different gangs in the area, but the information is wholly irrelevant because hardly any of the groups mentioned ever play a part in the story. I assume it was intended to flesh out the world, but it's needlessly verbose content that should've been cut. Much of the dialogue follows in a similar fashion, and while I can imagine some viewers might find that charming, it only served to strengthen the disconnect I felt with the story and its characters. Clearly a lot of work went into making all those costumes and sets, but design alone isn't enough to carry the film for me.

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	gangs.jpg
Views:	306
Size:	160.9 KB
ID:	67792  

The Fisher King

Knew nothing about this going in, yet I was always interested in seeing it because of the two leads and it's acclaim. I didn't realize Terry Gilliam was the director until it was nominated here. This was the first movie of his that I've seen that I enjoyed, and it's no coincidence that it was by far the least fantastical of those.

I was grabbed right from the beginning. There probably could have been several movies made from the different ideas. A lot going on, and I'm not sure if that's to the film's advantage or detriment. It's at times powerful and at other times humorous. The fantasy element was thankfully small, but I thought the last 8 or 9 minutes were a bit of a letdown. I loved most of what came before that.

The cast was the strength. Robin Williams was perfect for his role, unfortunately. I found that the pain he had been apparently living with made his performance more affecting. Bridges was great to the point where I occasionally felt like I didn't even recognize him, not by looks but by personality. It was an important decision for his character's character to be questionable. The whole rest of the cast was really good as well. As much as I enjoyed it I thought it just missed out on being something special.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
I'll probably get to one more but then I'll have a pretty decent layoff from this just as an FYI. Life getting busy soon, but that's good.

‘المومياء’ / Al-Mummia (1969)
aka The Mummy, The Night of Counting the Years

I have a thing for films that take themselves (too) seriously. Brooding and pompous The Mummy fits that bill better than most. From the dialogue resembling reciting a poem to the camera lingering on stern faces and barren desert and broken relics of an ancient time, it demands the viewer to be earnest.

It's a shame that there's no good quality version of The Mummy available. There is a restored version from 2009 but no Bluray or DVD release. The only available version appears to be a transfer from an old VHS tape, and it doesn't do justice to the movie; it's blurry, faded and has terrible audio. I do like the way the film appears to look, but the 4:3 aspect ratio isn't optimal (I hope the old video release was just another victim of pan and scan).

The story of selling the ancient artifacts and using the money to maintain the power of the ruling family in a small isolated community is interesting. The conflict between the generations focuses on greed versus the shame of being mere graverobbers. The concept that the treasures have more profound value seems lost to all but some civil servants in Cairo. There's an underlying sadness in The Mummy, a disregard of the past that reaches our time in Taliban bombs blowing up the Buddhas (or leftists toppling the statues in the US and Europe).

I liked The Mummy. It's one of the few cases where the quality of the copy affects the viewing, so I can't go further than like until I manage to see a cleaner copy. Anyways, a pleasant surprise and a great example of why I like to participate in HoFs.

I'll probably get to one more but then I'll have a pretty decent layoff from this just as an FYI. Life getting busy soon, but that's good.
You've only got five movies left so you're doing fine. It's been awhile since we've seen write-ups from @neiba @Siddon and @Sarge though.

The Samurai
A lonely hitman has his world turned upside down when he is spotted during his most recent hit

I guess you could say this film is like an actual hitman: It's slow, cold and calculating. The film takes its time with the story, we see almost every process of our main character's day to day life. The film definitely isn't boring though.
The main character is incredibly compelling. On the outside we see a ruthless hitman who has a girlfriend, who looks absolutely dapper in his trench-coat and fedora. In the more intimate moments of the film however, we see Jef is a very lonely man who's only company is his bird. Beneath the intimidating trench-coat and fedora is a very young and unassuming man (Especially noticeable in the scene where he applies bandages). Jef is an example of perfect casting; Alain Delon slightly sad and young appearance really expresses the character very well I think.

Another thing I quite like about the film is the suspense. The scenes with Jef darting his nervous eyes around in the interrogation room is enthralling. The second half of the film is also very suspenseful, feels awfully similar to 'The French Connection' and classic Hitchcock. The colour palette is also very visually appealing, with lots of dark blues, always making it seem like it's about to rain when it actually isn't

Very good film @Siddon, I'll have to check out more by the director

Al-Mummia (1969)

This film was cursed! I started watching it on Memorial day night when a huge freakish wind storm came up out of nowhere and the lights blinked, then...off goes the power and all was dark. For two days we were without power as the outside air filled with smoke from nearby fires. All very scary as the fires were so close. Then after the power came back on, I started watching my video file of the movie, only this time the sub titles ran out at the 45 minute mark. Not being able to understand Egyptian I tried the next night to watch it on Youtube on my TV. Did I mention my TV doesn't like Youtube?...After watching about 15 minutes the stream ended with an error....OK, so I just now managed to watch the end of Al-Mummia on my computer. I hate watching movies on my computer and so never do it.

With all that said, I think this is a very cool nom as it's something I've never heard of before and it's very meditative. It reminded me of a Tarkovsky movie in the way the camera lingered and took it's time on the beauty of emptiness that made up the Egyptian desert. The score too reminded me of something from Tarkovsky. A very effective score!

I of course love history and knew of this remarkable find of a cache of mummies stashed in a mountain cave, as I seen a documentary on it before. But I didn't know there was so much turmoil between the mountain people and the city people over the find of the mummies. For me it was hard not to view the mountain people as the antagonist as smashing a Pharaonic mummy is sacrilege!

I really wish this had a Criterion restoration as I think it's beautiful filmed and effective in it's seductive simpleness and the quality of the Youtube video was lacking.

Did I spell Pharaonic right? My browser thinks not.
Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	image1.jpg__598x399_q85_crop_subsampling-2_upscale.jpg
Views:	498
Size:	48.0 KB
ID:	67876  

Let the night air cool you off
I'm digging the respect Al-Mummia is getting. Soon here, I'll be giving similar respect to Christiane F. . I've finished it, but I've been too busy to write anything up. I have an important exam on Thursday that I'm not yet prepared for, so expect something after that. Plus, I'll probably watch the two films from 86 over the weekend too. As far as Christiane F. goes, I think it thrives during moments more than as an overall story, not that I want to take away from the story. But the moment that stands out the most to me was during Detlev and Christiane engaging in intercourse, the camera pulls away to a fine piece of juxtaposition as we see one of their friends slumped against the wall after taking a shot. It was harrowing, but there are a bunch of great moments like that during the film.

Christiane F - Wir Kinder vom Bahnhof Zoo
(1981)
Directed by Uli Ede
Nominated by @cricket

Story of a young girl in the 1970s looking for something better than what life had already offered her. Her father an alcoholic and her mother more concerned about her extramarital affairs than her own children. Christiane looks for love in a young boy named Detlev at a disco called the Sound. Detlev and his friends are always looking for the next "fix" whether it be marijuana, cocaine, LSD or Heroin. To fit in with the crowd and gain Detlev's affections, Christiane slowly becomes addicted so she can be around him all the time. Life turns for the worse, even after coming clean from the drugs, they are constantly looking for money to buy heroin, whether stealing it from her mother or turning a trick with a john. In the end, Christiane gets removed from the circumstances and is finally free from the drug.

This is a movie that may scare young adults from using drugs. When I was growing up in the early 1980s, we were made to watch "Scared Straight" in high school to curb our interest in drug usage or becoming incarcerated for misdeeds. From my understanding, in Europe, they used "Christiane F."

The film says she eventually overcame her addiction but the real-life Christiane Felscherinow never did. She eased up from using the hard substances but never stopped completely. Due to the usage in her teen years, she has Hep C. She did write a new book about her life story called "My Second Life."

To someone who is younger and never seen the film, it may be shocking. This is actually my 3rd viewing, the first being over 8 1/2 years ago. It's a film that can show you the horrors involved with needing that next fix and at what all costs it can do to your life including taking your life.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
That took CR a super long time to finish. Memorial Day was 3 and a half months ago! Ironic you started watching it before this Hall started too!

Le Samourai

Spoilers

The first time I watched this, I felt much like Miss Vicky did. I thought it was a good movie, but I respected it more than I enjoyed it. It left me cold, and it's been the same way for all of the films I've seen from the director. I enjoyed it more this time around, but unless I'm missing something, there's one big issue that irks the hell out of me.

It's a great looking movie and I enjoy the pace and the way the story plays out. However, Jef is portrayed as a professional, methodical hit man who knows how to cover his tracks. He expertly sets up his alibi and dumps the gun and the gloves. So why in the world does he not change his clothes? Unless he wanted to get caught but there's no other indication that this might be true. It is so absurd to me that it stays with me the whole rest of the film.

Something else that doesn't bother me watching but baffles me about other people's opinions. Supposedly Jef is this very cool character, but I thought he was more of an uncool outcast that was probably never popular. An outfit can look really cool at the right time and place; for example, a rock star on stage. If you saw that same rock star walking down the street in that same outfit, you'd say look at that weirdo. The first time he walks into the little private club, before the hit, the other guys at the table barely acknowledge that he's even there. Costello has no presence in the room and looks really out of place. It struck me as very awkward and seemed liked the movie and character were trying to force cool. It's the viewer's perception over reality. I don't see anything cool about the character but fortunately it doesn't bring a negative affect for me. I think the movie makes more sense with him being a misfit type.

I like the ending and I guess it's open to interpretation. I didn't think of it the first time I saw it but now I wonder if he was going the Harakiri route. I mean he is the samouri. Maybe because he couldn't go through with the job he thought this was the honorable way to go. I don't know. Anyway, it's a good movie but I can't picture ever being in love with it.