MoFo Top 100 Horror Movies: The List

→ in
Tools    

When I last watched Deep Red a couple months back, I had my headphones on with the volume higher than anything I've ever watched. The result was incredible.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I've seen The Bride Of Frankenstein a few times. It's a good movie, but it didn't make my list.

I saw Jacob's Ladder many years ago, and it was on my watchlist to rewatch it for this countdown, but I ran out of time before getting a chance to see it again. All I really remember about it is that it was a very confusing movie, but it seemed to have potential if I could figure it out. I was hoping that a rewatch might have given it a chance to make my list, but I guess it just wasn't meant to be.

I haven't seen, (or heard of), Deep Red or Vampyr.

Movies and books are very different experiences. Comparing them is like comparing water to ice or air to oxygen.

All it really boils down to is which experience was better, and which story was better. The movies left out a lot of the psychological horror that made the book what it was.

Not much to say about the last several entries. Haven't seen Onibaba, but I thought highly of the director's Kuroneko, which looks similar but doesn't appear to share the same level of esteem. I've come close to watching The Wailing a few times on Netflix, but always end up choosing something with a shorter runtime. I had the ending of Jacob's Ladder spoiled for me, so I bumped it down my watchlist as a result. Haven't seen Deep Red either. So far I don't think giallo is really for me, but I still want to see it as part of my eventual plan to run through Argento's filmography.

It's been awhile since he sported it, but I always associate @Nostromo87 with The Invisible Man due to the excellent avatar he once had. I'd like the movie itself a lot more if not for Una O'Connor's shrieking performance. The invisibility FX are impressive even by today's standards, so minds were probably blown in 1933.

Annihilation making the Countdown is an embarrassment. The scene with the bear/boar/whatever is straight nightmare fuel, but one scene doesn't make it a horror film. Does this mean that Stalker is tagged as horror on IMDb as well? It's been way too long since I watched the original Invasion of the Body Snatchers. Remember the pods and remember enjoying it; don't remember much else.

The comedic nature of Bride of Frankenstein didn't hold up as well for me when I revisited it for the 30's Countdown, but I still think it's one of the best "classic" horror films. The sight of the monster puffing away on a cigar always cracks me up. It's amazing how iconic "The Bride" became despite such little screen time. Vampyr boasts a lot of eerie imagery, but mostly it just bored me. Need to give it another chance someday.

My List So Far:
#1) Cannibal Holocaust
#2) The Devil's Rejects
#20) The Last House on the Left
#25) Dead Heat (one-pointer)

Annihilation making the Countdown is an embarrassment. The scene with the bear/boar/whatever is straight nightmare fuel, but one scene doesn't make it a horror film. Does this mean that Stalker is tagged as horror on IMDb as well? It's been way too long since I watched the original Invasion of the Body Snatchers. Remember the pods and remember enjoying it; don't remember much else.
Strongly disagree with that, you really need to give that film a rewatch because it is a strong horror film

Welcome to the human race...
Yeah, you've got other scenes (alligator, intestines, doppelganger) that only add to the creeping dread of having to explore this alien environment where anything could be waiting around the corner. If nothing else, I have trouble seeing how it's less of a horror than They Live.

Anyway, I liked Deep Red quite a bit and Vampyr is okay. Didn't vote for either one.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
If nothing else, I have trouble seeing how it's less of a horror than They Live.
I don't consider either horror.

Suspect's Reviews

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Annihilation is a great film, tagged as horror with the rules, so it made my list. Similar to how Her and Wall E made my sci fi one

A system of cells interlinked
Loved Annihilation, and it was on my list at #14. It Follows made my list at #23, and Bride of Frankenstein was on my list at #17.

I am reading as we go along here, but haven't had a ton of time to interact.

Annihilation just barely made it as a "horror" for me. To repeat myself, the only problems were character development and an underwhelmong score. If they fixed those two, Annihilation would be one of the greatest sci-fi movies ever made.

Annihilation (2018)
Runtime: 1 Hour 55 Mins
Production Company: Skydance Media
Distributed by Paramount Pictures
Director: Alex Garland
Production Budget: $40,000,000
Box Office: $43,100,000
Five Votes
71 Points (21, 21, 13, 12, 4)
High Voter: @rauldc14 , @BraedenG33
Forgot to post this in response, a re-up of the podcast we did about Annihilation:

The best way to get it is to subscribe with iTunes. The next best ways are to just download it with this link (or add the podcast feed into your RSS reader). Or you can just listen right now with this embedded player:

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Annihilation just barely made it as a "horror" for me. To repeat myself, the only problems were character development and an underwhelmong score. If they fixed those two, Annihilation would be one of the greatest HORROR movies ever made.
Fixed that for you...apparently.

Don't Look Now (1973)
Runtime: 1 Hr 50 Mins
Production Company: Casey Productions
Distributed by British Lion Films
Director: Nicolas Roeg
Production Budget: $1,100,000
Eight Votes
80 Points (18, 17, 14, 11, 9, 7, 3, 1)
High Voter: @Holden Pike
Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	DontLookNow 64.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	70.7 KB
ID:	53141  

The Babadook (2014)
Runtime: 1 Hr 34 Mins
Production Company: Screen Australia
Distributed by Entertainment One
Director: Jennifer Kent
Production Budget: $2,000,000
Box Office: $7,500,000
Eleven Votes
82 Points (25, 16, 9, 9, 6, 6, 3, 3, 2, 2, 1)
High Voter: @The Rodent
Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	The Babadook 63.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	226.1 KB
ID:	53142  

Love Don't Look Now but didn't vote for it. The first time I watched The Babadook I didn't like it. Rewatched it about a month ago and enjoyed it.

Nice. My #1
Was hoping it'd be higher tbh, but just having it make the list is good enough I was afraid it'd get overlooked.

01. The Babadook (2014) - 63rd
04. Dog Soldiers (2002) - 94th
11. Zombieland (2009) - 83rd
14. The Fog (1980) - DNP, 110th
25. Critters (1986) - 1 Pointers List

These were both on my list, and this is already the second time I am the highest bidder. I had Don't Look Now, Nic Roeg's beautiful, creepy meditation on grief and loss, as my eighth pick. Babadook was down at seventeen, hiding under my bed.

HOLDEN'S LIST
2. The Bride of Frankenstein (#68)
8. Don’t Look Now (#64)
10. Invasion of the Body Snatchers 1956 (#70)
12. Antichrist (#82)
13. Jacob’s Ladder (#67)
14. It Follows (#78)
17. The Babadook (#63)
21. Near Dark (DNP)
25. Trouble Every Day (DNP)

*I assume the sale of red raincoats for children went way, way down in the mid-'70s. For dwarfs, too.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

love both of these entries Don't Look Now and Babadook but didn't vote for either