Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
Tanner '88 - 8/10

Robert Altman called this the most creative of his works right before he died. This is really, really great. A mockumentary, but using actual Presidential nominees and other figures! It helps to know US history/politics/society in the last 80 years. Lots of bits of humor throughout the entire thing, and other things in the background.... I saw the updated version, which has a 2 minute reflection from 2004, while using actual events.

Not the best start, but it gets better real quick.

Legend in my own mind

Alien covenant (2017)

Meh.

Underwhelming. Some good aspects but they have got it so wrong in my opinion.

Just mixed Prometheus, Alien and Aliens together and hoped that it worked,

The things that they changed didn't need changing, and the things we have already seen are there again.

Will review it properly on my thread shortly.

You can't win an argument just by being right!
I remember watching this movie in the theatre and felt this was a joke.
Same for me although I thought Oliver Megaton was probably just high on some weird concoction of drugs.

Alien covenant (2017)

Meh.

Underwhelming. Some good aspects but they have got it so wrong in my opinion.

Just mixed Prometheus, Alien and Aliens together and hoped that it worked,

The things that they changed didn't need changing, and the things we have already seen are there again.

Will review it properly on my thread shortly.

Haven't heard anyone say they loved it yet. As someone who has seen pretty much the whole franchise, I almost can't be bothered to go and see it, which is a shame.

Legend in my own mind
Haven't heard anyone say they loved it yet. As someone who has seen pretty much the whole franchise, I almost can't be bothered to go and see it, which is a shame.
I am gutted. Was anticipating so much more.

Annie Hall (1977)
Still Woody's best movie IMO.

Welcome to New York
Excellent movie. Brave performance from Depardieu - huge stomach & all. Even Bisset was good in this.

Pauline at the Beach (1983, Éric Rohmer)
Loved this movie when it came out. The girl in the photo, Amanda Langlet, was also excellent in Rohmer's A Summer's Tale in 1996.

For someone who loves movies like Reservoir Dogs, I was surprised that I like this movie. A sweet confection, very good acting, amusing & droll.

Second viewing -

The most disgusting thing for me in the film, seeing all the real sweat pour out of one of the ears of the mask Ted Raimi(Henrietta) was wearing! Didn't know about that until I read Bruce Campbell's book If Chins Could Kill a few days ago, so was looking out for it in the film last night.

Alien and Aliens are both in my all time top 20 and I have zero interest in seeing this.

Hellloooo Cindy - Scary Movie (2000)
Speaking of "Guess who coming to dinner" mention above, I watched 2017's Get out. It's a well made thriller/horror that keeps you interested. Reminded me of a Roald Dalh adult short story I read years ago. Without going into any detail....I would call it a high class B movie. Good for the genre but nothing special.

3.5/5

Chloe in the Afternoon (1972, Éric Rohmer)

The sixth and final movie in Rohmer's "Six Moral Tales" series. Beautifully shot - yet again - by frequent Rohmer collaborator Nestor Almendros, the film follows a happily married, comfortably bourgeois protagonist who at some point finds himself teetering on the edge of a moral precipice as he gets tempted to cheat on his wife with an old acquaintance that suddenly reappears in his life and gradually shakes him out of his well-ordered orbit. And again, Rohmer's didacticism comes with a certain degree of detachment and subtlety, driving the final point home in the closing scene where the long-bottled emotional stress and disconnect between husband and wife finally find vent in an awkward outpour of emotion, bringing the much-needed relief. Rohmer's films are often described as verbose (this one is no exception), which is a big turnoff for many viewers, but I find it to be merely an attribute of Rohmer's uniquely charming literary style. His films are like classic short stories put on film: simple but endlessly rewatchable, like fine wine that only gets better with age.

King Arthur: Legend of the Sword (2017) -

As I walked out of the theatre I couldn't help but wonder what poor life choices did I make that lead me to believe that going to see this movie at 10:30 on a Saturday morning was a good use of my time. I also tried to imagine what horrible bet Guy Ritchie must have lost to produce this film in the first place.

When I originally saw the trailers for King Arthur I was actually on the film's side a little. Yes, it looked like it would probably be pretty bad, but I was totally down for it anyway. I love fantasy, I've liked some of Ritchie's previous work, and I usually enjoy a few of these actors as well. Well it didn't take long at all for this bland, colourless film to lose all that good faith. It was filled with boring scenes devoid of any charm that were strangely cut between loud, obnoxious assaults on the senses, and the odd attempt at humour that fell completely flat in the theatre.

I half hoped that King Arthur would do us the courtesy of being so bad it became fun to watch, but alas, that was not the case.

You can't win an argument just by being right!
I think Guy Ritchie was cursed by Madonna.