Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

A Tree Grows in Brooklyn (1945)

+

Elia Kazan's directorial debut looks at an early 20th century family living in an apartment building in Brooklyn. I think Kazan is a great director, but I never quite seem to love his movies the way I want to. I don't know why that is since I have a hard time pointing out faults in his films. I just have a hard time staying completely engrossed from start to finish. This particular movie was not at all what I expected. I thought it was supposed to be some kind of uplifting happy go lucky movie. That's definitely not a complaint as I prefer something a little more downbeat. I found much of the movie sad, and that made the touching moments all the more effective. The direction, acting, cinematography, and all that good stuff were all excellent.

The Wolverine (2013) - 7/10

Much better than X-Men Origins, and hopefully Logan will be a good send off to the character

Originally Posted by Iroquois
To be fair, you have to have a fairly high IQ to understand MovieForums.com.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
Woman in the Dunes - 8/10

I picked this randomly. I sometimes DVR things on TCM if they have a 90% or up, regardless of the director, actor, and this was real good.

It's a thriller, a mystery, it's a drama. Not quite a disaster movie. Very sensual. It did kinda drag towards the end, but when it did, I yelped out loud, hoping it wasn't true.

If you've seen this movie, I'd love to read your review.. My recording cut out, and luckily I found the entire movie on Youtube, so hopefully you guys check it out.

Withnail & I (1987), dir: Bruce Robinson.

Fairly sure Paul's in a wig there – if only it was still lying around when he first did Doctor Who .

"I smell sex and candy here" - Marcy Playground
Before I Go to Sleep (2014)

Complete shite. I only sat through it because it was short. Not worth an image search from me. I just want to put this entire experience behind me.

I was lucky enough to see this last night on TCM. A really good movie about political corruptness and the reveal of an assassination plot. I searched on Wikipedia and found that the flick was based of an actual Greek political assassination. Making this more tragic given the film's plot and ending. It also explains the "Any similarities to person's living or dead is intentional" disclaimer at the beginning of the film. So yeah this movie was political as hell. And very well done too.

Legend in my own mind

Hush (2016)

A cheesy slasher thriller.

A slightly more realistic 'Scream' but still cliched beyond belief.

The truth is in here

It's a very decent look into the psychology of a man who's so scared of evil that he will do anything, take all extreme measures to stop it, that he basically loses it in the process. Jack Nicholson did a great job in the lead. In just a few shots he was a little off, but overall he was really great. And it starts as a really nice mystery thriller.

But just... It falls short of being good, which aggravates me. The pacing is slow, way more so than is deemed neccessary. The Crossing Guard was a little bit slow too, but it felt justified for the kind of movie it is. It doesn't pretend to be anything else than a tale of morality rather than revenge. I knew that's what I would get, and I loved it. But this movie starts off as a straight-up mystery thriller, and stays that way for at least an hour. Then it just completely changes direction, and doesn't do anything with the mystery at all. Some parts are so boring you wonder what point they are supposed to serve. Do we really need to see Nicholson read a bedtime story to a child 4 times? Not to mention it's not even until the end I realized that "Hey, this is not a mystery thriller at all". The directing is so confusing that it's not made clear this is actually a character study, not a mystery.

I give it a 7, for the great first hour and the excellent acting. But I was disappointed.

La La Land (2016)

Boldly going.
Another Earth 5/10.
I couldn't get over the fact that a planet as large as ours got so close without causing huge problems for our gravity, tides and other major forces. I read a couple of articles from science websites claiming that the physics in the movie is sound, and that explanations were omitted from the film to avoid exposition, but I felt this omission hurt the movie overall. According to these websites, quantum physics allows for identical earths, which I frankly find a little disturbing. I was disappointed in the ending.

Boldly going.
Altered States. 4/10.
WARNING: "spoilers" spoilers below
Scientist experiments with sensory deprivation, has terrifying visions of Hell, but decides to continue the experiments anyways. He gradually devolves into less-intelligent lifeforms.
Bizarre.

Not a bad film but felt kind of empty without having any of the interesting characters from the original Harry Potter series and the school. Having them replaced with very bland ones and a period piece of New York was no replacement in my opinion. Still the film still managed to entertain in not exactly enthral

The Day He Arrives (Sang-soo, 2011)

My second outing with Sang-soo feels strangely familiar, as intended. The Day He Arrives is definitely a better funded project than Oki's Movie, but it's the same base equation with some variables changed. From the reviews I've read, that is the point. Sang-soo is a filmmaker who can accurately be described as narrow and repetitive, thus making him the perfect candidate to inspect the meta of the Groundhog Day style purgatory which he inhabits. It's a Choose Your Own Adventure exercise in Chaos Theory. It's fractalized narratives projecting every dimension of his identity. Admittedly, I do enjoy thinking about them a bit more than sitting through them, but unlike with Xavier Dolan per say, watching this guy make the same movie over and over serves a grander purpose. It's ingenious really.

The thing isolated becomes incomprehensible
It's a Wonderful Life (F. Capra, 1946)

Another movie that has been on my watchlist for far too long.

Even if this kind of story doesn't usually grab my attention, this is an amazing movie, especially because of the one and only James Stewart. He steals every single scene is in, not because the rest of the cast is bad but because the man simply lived 30 years ahead of his time.
Here, he delivers one of the strongest and most complete perfomances I've seen by him, showing an impressive array of emotions and presence throughout the all movie, never feeling dated or old fashioned. The man was simply a genius.

I liked the ending, gave it a nice Christmasy touch, though the whole angel thing seemed a bit too much, even if I understand where it came from.

-

Moonlight (2016)

-

Well made with strong performances, and I think there's a certain admirable quality in taking the story in the direction they did. I don't think there is anything special or memorable about it, and I do wonder if last years Oscar controversy had something to do with it's best picture win, although I have now seen five of the nominees and I don't think any of them are close to timeless classics. Looking at the best picture winners list, I think the overall quality has taken a big step back since the 90's.

So that's what happened to Adam Sandler and David Spade, they're cranking out direct to Netflix movies.

Now I knew I was in for no Citizen Kane going in, but this thing was a mess. it didn't know what it wanted to be, a comedy, action movie, serious message about big pharma burying cures for diseases for $$$... so it tried to be all those and did none of them well. It received the half popcorn box just for the epic chick fight at the end set to Madonna's "Crazy For You"

Elle (2016)

it has nothing to do with sayin' the movie bad, only we got sick to watch sick persons bcoz we sick already to begin with