Young Skywalker. Missed you, I have...
My list

11 Grease (59)
14 Deliverance (51)
19 Rocky II (63)
21 Badlands (58)
22 Serpico (55)
23 Solaris (39)
25 The Lords of Flatbush (My One-Pointer)

So -- this was talked about yesterday -- I watched Coming Home last night. The 1978 Hal Ashby directed picture starring Jane Fonda, Jon Voight and Bruce Dern.

Who's got a present for me? It must be Christmas because that thing was SLOW as Christmas!

But I rate it:

I did not like the ending -- except the part where Bruce Dern runs through the beach naked. I was hoping:

WARNING: "Coming Home" spoilers below
That Bruce Dern's character would kill handicapped Jon Voight for sleeping with his wife. I was literally cheering him on, too. Might not have fit the rest of the film, but it's what I wanted.

This movie was only 2 hours and 8 minutes long, but it felt like 4 and 1/2 hours. I liked it, but there were times where I didn't pay attention to the screen. But I noted every scene that happened.

And the soundtrack! Nonstop music, all classic oldies, that wouldn't quit! One song, right after the other, no breaks! It was like a jukebox turned into a noise making Jewish yenta that wouldn't shut the f**k up. It had it all. Every popular oldies song from the '60s that you could think of. It was like a MoFo Song Tournament. It even had that obnoxious "White Rabbit" song by Jefferson Airplane that I hate. One song would stop, another would immediately start. It was like breaths. The movie should have been called Playing Music.

But I liked it. I did. Except for that ending. The relationship between Jane Fonda and Jon Voight was nice. Every other character was good, too, but I didn't care for Bruce Dern.

I can see why Cricket loved the movie. I totally understand what he likes.

Of course, it's not on my '70s list because I just saw it, but if I could redo my list over, I would put this movie on there.
Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	77125-004-0D2C267A.jpg
Views:	1653
Size:	26.4 KB
ID:	16697  

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
haven't made it here all week and there's been some pretty cool flicks making the list with only one more to add to my list:

#4 Harold & Maude
#5 M*A*S*H
#8 The Sting
#9 Willy Wonka & The Chocolate Factory
#25 Robiin and Marian (my 1 pointer)

So I have been checking my progress against the 90's and 80's list. I am around ten movies ahead of the other two lists. I am very hopeful on having seen the majority of the remainder of this list.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Is there a list of one point movies on here?

Yes. It's on page 3 of this thread.

And I already revealed these in another thread, but here they are again. These are the titles that received exactly one point, and only one point. Sixteen movies that were somebody's number twenty-five choice...and that was it. They missed the cut by a lot.

The Apprenticeship of Duddy Kravitz
The Concert for Bangladesh
The Crazies
Diamonds Are Forever
Every Which Way But Loose
Farewell, My Lovely
Fat City
The Fury
Herbie Goes to Monte Carlo
La Grande Bouffe
The Lords of Flatbush
Love at First Bite
Meatballs
Robin & Marian
Summer City
A Touch of Zen

The first Rocky is a very well done movie and in no way should be judged, or marred, by those that followed. It also bears no relation to the Rambo movies and Stallone is exceptional in it. Whether you decide to give it a try or not don't let any misguided notions be your guide.
Well, perhaps I shouldn't judge it without seeing it. It could be a respectable performance on Stallone's part, but I still probably won't watch it because the content doesn't really appeal to me. I'm not a fan of boxing to begin with.

Never seen Cabaret, but I imagine I'd probably admire it from a technical standpoint more than I'd enjoy the film itself, which was my reaction to Fosse's other 70's entry, All That Jazz.

I never considered myself a fan of science-fiction. The few exceptions were movies that combined with other genres--- Alien (sci-fi/horror) or The Matrix and Terminator 2 (sci-fi/action). Movies that took place on other planets and featured flying saucers and laser-shooting aliens just seemed way too geeky for my tastes. I never watched Star Trek or Star Wars for fear of waking up the next morning with my virginity magically restored. About four years ago, however, I found myself back home with my parents, done with college yet unable to find a job. Out of boredom, I started watching a ton of stuff on the science channel, especially programs relating to the universe (but none of that Ancient Aliens or UFO crap that will leave you locked in a closet with a tinfoil helmet). I became fascinated with learning as much as I could about the universe, and I started reading and researching and watching stuff about it every day. The more I learned, the more mysterious and incomprehensible everything seemed. Dark matter, dark energy, particles that exist in multiple places except when observed, theories about the multiverse, the bizarre world of quantum mechanics. I started going outside every night just to gaze at the stars. I even took to calling myself a Pantheist. The level of awe and reverence I felt was the closest that I had ever come to being religious or spiritual.

It was during that time that I watched 2001: A Space Odyssey and Solaris, and both films hit me like a supernova. They remain the two best science-fiction movies I've ever seen. I'll reserve my thoughts for 2001 for when it hopefully wins or finishes in the top 3 of the 60's Countdown, but Solaris, even though it's much more concerned with human nature than space, using the genre, setting and concept to look within us rather than "out there," remains one of the only science-fiction films I've seen that comes anywhere close to capturing the level of mystery and reverence and wonder that I felt during that soul-searching period of my life. The movie is haunting, mysterious, ambiguous, chilling, thought-provoking. Yeah, it's slow and ponderous, too, but instead of boring me, the pace adds to the movie's meditative nature, pulling me deeper and deeper into its world. It was #18 on my list.

My List So Far:
#4) The Last Picture Show
#8) Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia
#9) Nashville
#10) The Holy Mountain
#11) Paper Moon
#13) Five Easy Pieces
#18) Solaris
#22) Straw Dogs
#23) The Outlaw Josey Wales
#24) Mean Streets

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
I wish I had seen it earlier. It's metaphysical wuxia!
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Seen both. I like The Warriors quite a bit but did not vote for it. The Deer Hunter was okay, but there are much better Nam movies out there. I hope my fav shows up much higher.

Seen 47/64

My list:

11. Mean Streets (77)
13. The Rocky Horror Picture Show (46)
15. Mad Max (70)
24. All the President’s Men (75)

A system of cells interlinked
WOW. I like The Warriors just fine, but I did not expect it to be on the list at #37. Talk about a beloved cult classic! Make sure to avoid the silly director's cut with all the editing additions - Not as good as the original, IMO. This film was not on my list.

The Warriors is a lock, and I still think Superman makes it and maybe another surprise.
I'm predicting The Conversation and The Deer Hunter next.
Cimino's The Deer Hunter is our third Best Picture Oscar winner, following The Sting (#57) and Kramer vs. Kramer (#44). It appeared on twenty-two lists (compare that to Logan's Run, which was on five), but only four of those votes were of the top ten variety: two seventh place nods, an eighth, and a tenth. Walter Hill's The Warriors was on just fourteen lists, but nine of them had it as a top ten selection: one first place, two fifth, a sixth, a seventh, an eighth, two ninth, and a tenth place votes.

Exterminate all rational thought.
Nice. The Deer Hunter was on my list I think... I'm at work and can't remember. One of 2 good Cimino films. Not so much a story about Vietnam, but more a story of how it affects a group of people, their community and their relationships. From earlier Solaris was 11 on my list. My favorite Tarkovsky and one of two on my list. One of the finest directors ever.

Nice. The Deer Hunter was on my list I think... I'm at work and can't remember. One of 2 good Cimino films. Not so much a story about Vietnam, but more a story of how it affects a group of people, their community and their relationships. From earlier Solaris was 11 on my list. My favorite Tarkovsky and one of two on my list. One of the finest directors ever.
Nope, you did not have Deer Hunter on your list. But Solaris you had at #11.