The MoFo Top 100 of the 1970s: Countdown

→ in
Tools    

"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

...Surprise!

I'm actually going to be completely busy all day tomorrow, so here are the next two flicks on the countdown. I'll put up #38 and #37 on Saturday, back on schedule.

Bob Fosse's Cabaret, his second film on our list (#96 All That Jazz), was on only a dozen ballots, but eight of them had it as a top ten, including two first place votes, a third, two fourth, two seventh, and an eighth. Solaris, the second Tarkovsky film on the countdown this week (#45 The Mirror), was on seventeen lists, with six top ten votes: a fourth, two sixth, an eighth, and a pair of tenth placers.

And at the thirty-ninth film, we have crested the two-hundred point threshold. It's up and up and waaaaay up, from here.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Wow. That's a surprise Solaris got higher than The Mirror. Now I'm waiting for Stalker in the first 10.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

I absolutely loved the style and the musical numbers in Cabaret. I think it could be a future favorite if I can get into the story and characters just a little more.

Solaris is just the type of movie I struggle with. I still liked it and thought it was a very impressive movie.

Solaris was also on my list, in the sixteenth spot, giving me eleven, so far. I actually like Soderbergh's millennial remake quite a lot, but the original Tarkovsky take on Stanislaw Lem's novel is still haunting and powerful, for me.

3. Nashville (#43)
8. Little Big Man (#61)
10. The Man Who Would Be King (#81)
13. Breaking Away (#95)
16. Solaris (#39)
17. Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia (#94)
19. MASH (#78)
20. Don’t Look Now (#72)
21. Monty Python's Life of Brian (#41)
22. Le Cercle Rouge (#60)
24. The Spirit of the Beehive (#62)

The People's Republic of Clogher
I've got seven so far:

5. All The President's Men (#75)
10. Don't Look Now (#72)
12. Bring Me The Head of Alfredo Garcia (#94)
17. The Wicker Man (#79)
18. The Outlaw Josey Wales (#49)
21. Nashville (#43)
25. Serpico (#55)

I also bought one of my list on Blu Ray yesterday, meaning the old DVD will be winging its way to a lucky MoFo in due course. Not going to say which one it is though (none of the above) 'cos it'll spoil things.

American Graffiti was very close to making my list.

Life Of Brian... not a fan of Monty Python.
Exactly the same for me

Solaris wasn't on my list, I consider it to be one of Tarkovsky's lesser works. Still undoubtedly a masterpiece and deserves a place on this list, but one of his lesser masterpieces . I haven't seen Cabaret or American Graffiti. I like Life of Brian but it certainly wasn't in consideration for my list.

Unregistered User
Solaris and American Graffiti both made my list. I love them both. Life of Brian was close to making my list, however it got pushed out late on, its a very quotable film. Still to see Cabaret.

9 from my list so far.

I have seen all four of these movies. I like American Graffiti and think it has one of the greatest soundtracks ever. I also like the Life of Brian, but I hope another Python movie is still coming. I saw Cabaret and hated it. I struggled with Solaris but I need to re watch it. Visually beautiful though.

Seen 44/62

My list:

11. Mean Streets (77)
13. The Rocky Horror Picture Show (46)
15. Mad Max (70)
24. All the President’s Men (75)

A system of cells interlinked
Excellent - another title from my list has appeared. Tarkovsky's Solaris.

I am a big fan of both versions, but the original is the definitive version, for me. It's a longer film, and takes a bit longer to get going, but the tone is remarkable, and I prefer the ending a bit more when compared to the remake. I like both endings, but as Holden said, the 70s Solaris is the more haunting film. I had Solaris at #12 on my list.

I like all those movies, none were on my list though. I could see Solaris and Life of Brian being on my list had I given them a rewatch.

I actually like Soderbergh's millennial remake quite a lot

I had Solaris at #10 on my list.
A normal man? For me, a normal man is one who turns his head to see a beautiful woman's bottom. The point is not just to turn your head. There are five or six reasons. And he is glad to find people who are like him, his equals. That's why he likes crowded beaches, football, the bar downtown...

Only seen Cabaret from that pair. Watched it for the HOF, I thought it was very good and had no problems with it being a musical or anything, some of the scenes and its style are particularly great, but overall it didn't do particularly much for me, maybe I'll like it more if I watch it again.
-

Four movies in one day and none from my list. I haven't seen Solaris or American Graffiti and I didn't like Life of Brian or Cabaret.

My List
1. Didn't Make The Cut
5. Kramer vs. Kramer (#44)
6. Paper Moon (#74)
7. Deliverance (#51)
8. Cries and Whispers (#50)
9. Serpico (#55)
12. Invasion of the Body Snatchers (#68)
20. The Rocky Horror Picture Show (#46)
22. Hausu (#76)
23. Mad Max (#70)
25. Herbie Goes to Monte Carlo (1 point, not on the countdown)

The Adventure Starts Here!
AMERICAN GRAFFITI was at #13 on my list. I still have the soundtrack on vinyl from back in the day, but it's certainly seen better days. I wore that thing out by playing it constantly.

My mom thought that was all pretty funny because that was "her music" (she graduated high school in 1957), not mine. I just know I loved the story, loved the music, and, well, loved everything about the movie. To watch it now is like watching a Who's Who of actors who would go on to other things. It's like everybody who was anybody later in the '70s started in AMERICAN GRAFFITI.

This movie not only brought on TV series such as HAPPY DAYS but it singlehandedly started the "oldies" craze that started back in the '70s. Suddenly there were oldies radio stations playing music from the '50s. (Of course, I try not to cringe that those same oldies stations now play music from MY teen years...) It was everywhere.

All because of AMERICAN GRAFFITI.

There is a curbside diner just a mile or two from my house. (Ours is the original location -- now it's a franchise.) Any time I drive by it I think of AMERICAN GRAFFITI and Mel's Drive-In...
Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled.jpg
Views:	1098
Size:	162.9 KB
ID:	16685  

Finished here. It's been fun.
Wow, really glad Solaris made it ,I reckon Stalker will rank even higher. But even more happy that American Graffiti got ranked so high.

I adore,and I mean adore films that are able to immerse you into their worlds. American Graffiti transports me into the 1960's and to me it's pure cinematic ecstasy. It has an extremely strong atmosphere, I love the characters, I treasure the music, and I love how honest it is. It feels as if though i'm watching a few students go about their night, this is voyeuristic Cinema at it's best. I could go on and on about why I love it, but there's no use. Now excuse me as I kick back and listen to some oldies...

This movie seriously has one of the greatest soundtracks ever.