The MoFo Top 100 of the 1970s: Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Not seen Manhattan, although I'm a fan of Annie Hall and like what I've seen from Allen so far, so I'd probably like it. Seen Deliverance, but it's been too long for me to remember or write much, but I always thought it was a very good film.

At the halfway mark I've seen 26 films, which means that once we're done I should have seen at least 70.

One more bunch of numbers from the bottom fifty. Here are the titles by year, broken down...

1970: five
1971: three
1972: four
1973: eleven
1974: three
1975: three
1976: six
1977: four
1978: four
1979: seven

Pretty evenly distributed, except for the spike of 1973 titles! Serpico, The Sting, Badlands, The Spirit of the Beehive, The Wicker Man, Mean Streets, Paper Moon, Don't Look Now, F for Fake, Fantastic Planet, and The Holy Mountain.

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	bad.jpg
Views:	942
Size:	190.6 KB
ID:	16612  
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

"Guess I'm gettin pretty good at sneakin up on you."

Have not seen Cries and Whispers. Saw The Outlaw Josey Wales, but did not vote for it.

Seen: 35/52

My list:

11. Mean Streets (77)
15. Mad Max (70)
24. All the President’s Men (75)

Josey Wales is excellent, it almost made my list. I'm happy that it's so high!

Cries and Whispers I didn't get it at all, I really don't see how that movie is supperior to Autumn Sonata.

Cries and Whispers was #10 on my list. Bergman in top form.

The Outlaw Josey Wales is good too as I remember it, but it's been a long time since I've seen it.

I thought Cries and Whispers was excellent; it was one if the biggest surprises for me. I didn't vote for it, but I at least considered it. I thought it would come in higher.

I expected The Outlaw Josey Wales to be awesome, and it was, but I didn't vote for it. It came in about where I expected it to.

Cries and Whispers is a beautiful film, and my second favorite Bergman (after Persona, obviously). Number 9 on my list making four, and two of my top ten picks. (Straw Dogs, Cries & Whispers, Ali:Fear Eats the Soul, The Holy Mountian). Have not seen The Outlaw Josey Wales, I feel it would be fairly polarizing for me

Exterminate all rational thought.
Deliverance was my #10. I'm a whitewater kayaker and have paddled the stretches of river featured in the movie, so it's one of my favorites!

I hate Woody Allen.

Josey Wales was so close to making my list. I'm a huge Eastwood fan.

Finished here. It's been fun.
Love Cries and Whispers. Uncomfortable,bleak,and very powerful.One of the best Bergman films imo.

Bergman's Cries & Whispers was on eleven ballots and had seven top ten votes: a second, a fifth, an eighth, a ninth, and three tenth place votes. Eastwood's The Outlaw Josey Wales was on fifteen lists with six top tens: a fourth, a sixth, a seventh, a ninth, and two tenth place votes.

And mercifully for a shocking number of you, I did not take off points for bad spelling on ballots. For instance, I counted all of the votes for the Eastwood movie, even those of you who changed the setting from the American plains to deep ocean waters by spelling the main character's name Whales. Thar she blows!

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Thankfully Cries and Whispers wasn't any higher up on this list. We now have our worst film in this countdown
*runs and hides*