The MoFo Top 100 of the 1970s: Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Oh no, I might be wrong. It might actually be from Chappelle's Show... I'm not sure.

Let the night air cool you off
This reminds me, I don't know if that gif is from Chappelle's Show or Chappelle's Show, but you can vote for either of those in the MoFo Top 100 TV Show Countdown.

I watched Le Cercle Rouge a couple of months ago and wrote a review for it. (Read it here.) It's an excellent movie and, to quote myself, "it oozes coolness from every pore of its celluloid being." I gave serious consideration to adding it to the tail end of my list, but ultimately I chose movies that I've been a fan of for a longer period of time.

As for Grease, I've seen a high school production of it, does that count? I'm surprised people are making a fuss about its inclusion, since it's one of the most popular movies of the decade. Maybe it isn't a great movie (I wouldn't know), but Rocky II and The Muppets Movie made the countdown, so it's not like we're batting a thousand. Even after all these years, Grease remains firmly entrenched in popular culture. I look forward to watching it eventually. (Although I doubt I'll enjoy it as much as that other 70's musical. You know, the one with Meat Loaf, Pennywise, and lots and lots of corsets.)

Nothing's worse than the '90s list not including Titanic.

I will never forgive the '90s list for that... never. Never. Never. NEVER!

I shouldn't even still be a member here after that. It disgusts me so much. Sticking around here shames me after that.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Le Cercle rouge
What I first saw when peeked at TokeZa's post.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

The People's Republic of Clogher
Two films that didn't quite make my cut and two films I expected to be higher.

Unregistered User
Two films that didn't quite make my cut and two films I expected to be higher.
Agree 100%. Two films that were very close to making my list and definately should be higher. Out of the two i prefer Badlands, i rank it Malick's best.

Two excellent films. I haven't watched The Sting in a long while, but I've seen it a bunch of times. Badlands was in the running, but in the end neither film made my list. Both are about where I would have expected them to show up.

The People's Republic of Clogher
I haven't played piano seriously in 20 years but can still bang out a (mostly) perfect rendition of The Entertainer.

Nb: This isn't me playing. It's some other guy.

Both of these films appeared on twelve ballots, each. Badlands had three top ten votes (2nd, 8th, 9th) while The Sting had two (3rd and 8th). The Sting is the first of the ten Best Picture Oscar winners from the decade to make our countdown. Will the other nine all make it?

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Badlands is the only Malick I still haven't seen.

The Sting is pretty cool!

I've seen both and like both.

The Sting of course made my list. It was my #16! I expected it to be Top 40, but it seems like it's not that popular around here as I thought. I happen to think it's great entertainment! Newman and redford have great chemistry together, the plot is clever and delightfully twisty, the music score is LEGENDARY and the film also maintains a certain class and style throughout that I very much appreciate. The Sting is an awesome film to spend 129 minutes with! It's the quintessential con movie.

------------------------------------------

Badlands is a beautifully executed film and it has a strange kind of mood with that peculiar music score and the female voice-overs by Sissy Spacek. I also expected this one to be a little higher. The film is very easy to watch and it poetically makes the viewer philosophize about immorality, survival and the psychopathic core of crime. The film handles murder in an extremely cold and casual way, which makes it all the more haunting and effective...

It's a Malick movie, so needless to say, the imagery is magnificent too!

------------------------------------------

SEEN: 19/44

100. Logan's Run -

98. Being There -

97. Fantastic Planet -
+
96. All That Jazz -
#12 on my list!
87. Saturday Night Fever -

84. The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie -

82. F for Fake -
#17 on my list!