Cobpyth's Top 101 Favorite Feature Films

→ in
Tools    

80. Fight Club (1999)

It's not original anymore to like this film and cinephiles often roll their eyes when they hear this film mentioned for the millionth time, but I still think Fight Club is 100% pure awesomeness! It's easy to see why this became such a cult favorite after its initial failure at the box office. It's just a very good and completely crazy film experience!

Fincher directed this film with a lot of confidence and wasn't afraid to do some very strange stuff. The result is a weird, but oddly satisfying film with a lot of violence, a rebellious philosophy, three great leading performances, a plot full of odd twists, a whole bunch of memorable scenes and an occasional male genital that suddenly appears in the corner of the screen for a very quick moment.

The first rule of Fight Club is to not take it too seriously, though. It may sometimes be tempting to relate to the main character's apathy and disconnection from the world and be convinced by Tyler Durden's appealing speeches against our contemporary society (especially because they contain certain inevitable truths), but at the end the film actually criticizes every single idea it has promoted during its course.
Fight Club works best as a very well made satirical dark comedy. I mean, the third act must be one of the silliest things I've ever seen on a screen, but it's so well made and so hugely entertaining and freaking hilarious, that I can't help but be engaged every time I see it. It has become known as one of the greatest and most notorious endings of all time, and rightly so. It's fresh, it's cool, it's wild and it's funny as hell.
This is also my favorite Fincher movie. He surely didn't leave his balls at home when he made this magnum opus.

I am not ashamed to say it out loud: I LOVE FIGHT CLUB! It's one of the most spectacular filmmaking achievements of recent years and the fact that it has now become part of our mainstream pop culture doesn't change that for me.

-------------------------------

I like all the movies you have picked so far

79. Psycho (1960)

Well, I don't really think that I need to defend this choice. It's probably the single most influential horror film of all time and it's one of Hitchcock's most praised films.

Psycho is just a very memorable, well directed and deliciously dark movie and like most people, I absolutely love it. It works on every level. An absolute classic! I can't even imagine how it must have been to watch this one for the first time in 1960 at the theater.

You won me back . There Will be Blood is a pretty good film, I can understand why people call it a yawner but it had many beautiful scenes and one of the most powerful endings. I was absolutely blown away by Fight Club when I saw it, but the more I think back to it the more underwhelmed I feel; with time my memory has went from one of the best films to an entertaining film. I must re watch it to see where it really stands. Psycho is a masterpiece of horror

Wait... this isn't the '80s Countdown. Clicked on the wrong thread!

There Will Be Blood is a little boring to me and I remember not liking it, but I think I should rewatch it

Fight Club and Psycho are both favorite of mine and are on my top 50 easily. (Psycho is so looooooow )

I really like, but don't love, Fight Club. I can understand why so many do, though. I adore Psycho, though, as I'm sure you know. For me, it's easily Hitchcock's best and most effective film.

As for Kubrick? Yeah, well, you know what's coming.

78. Notorious (1946)

Another Hitchcock film!
In this picture, it really becomes clear why he's so often referred to as 'The Master of Suspense'. Notorious is full of tension and made me sit at the point of my seat during its entire run.
On top of that, its story is interesting and it also features a marvelous cast, containing the coolness of Cary Grant, the gorgeousness of Ingrid Bergman and the finesse of Claude Rains.

I especially loved Hitchcock's directing in this film, though. He made a few very fresh decisions on how to portray this story and they all work perfectly!

This is my favorite Hitchcock movie that he made before the era of the '50s/'60s, during which he became the indisputable legend he is today and made his most famous pictures (although he already did some amazing stuff in the '30s and '40s too).

The film also has one of the most 'notorious' kissing scenes of its time: