Neg rep is no more

Tools    

Semper Fooey
If Bin Laden was still alive and became a MoFo, now we can't neg rep him.

I thought neg rep/pos rep was a cool feature, but in retrospect it just ended up causing more hassle than its worth. Plainly put people just dont want to be criticized. It happens all throughout our lives, but when you want to get on the site to just b.s. about movies or sports the last thing you welcome is a neg rep and a smarmy comment to go with it.

Semper Fooey
I have come to the concusion the reason Neg Rep caused problems:

It was Yoda's fault.

He didn't establish guidelines for using neg rep. This is how some bodybuilding forum (which I will never visit again because I dont have anything in common with those people) describes the proper use of neg rep:

Negative reputation should be given if the person is posting something that detracts from the conversation. If the post is rude, inappropriate, breaks forum rules, is not gracious, etc; these are all good reasons to give negative reputation. If you have a personal grudge with someone, their team, etc, is it not appropriate to give them negative reputation for no reason. Giving negative reputation because you don't agree with what was said is not an appropraite use of the reputation system. People are entitled to their own opinions, and just because you don't agree doesn't mean the user was wrong or not contributing to the conversation.

That is pretty much how I was using it. If the guidelines for it was made clear, and moderators reiterated it in situations where it got tense, it wouldn't have created the problems it did.

We did that a lot in the early days. I reiterated the way it was to be used repeatedly, and warned users in specific instances when it was abused. It was a losing battle. Maybe it would've been better if we'd done this consistently even in spite of this, but I think any system that requires that kind of constant course correction is probably a poorly conceived one.

The People's Republic of Clogher
So if we started applying rules on how to use and not use rep it would have created less friction?

There are always gonna be chippy little sods who see an easy way to leave their mark on a site or a poster and I very much doubt if guidelines like the above (which is basic common sense) would have dissuaded them.

Geez, I'm now going to be denied the chance to catch-up to Sexy Celebrity!
I would also propose a new way to deal with the ignore list.
If someone is on your ignore list, I don't think it benefits you to be able to see that the ignored person has posted some comment on your thread or post. It should be arranged,that you personally can not see whether they posted or not. Afterall, they were meant to be ignored and should be treated as such ( you don't need an unignore prompt in order to see what was posted by someone you chose to ignore ).

Semper Fooey
I'm into movies (even if these days they are mostly older ones), not bodybuilders.

Semper Fooey
So if we started applying rules on how to use and not use rep it would have created less friction?

There are always gonna be chippy little sods who see an easy way to leave their mark on a site or a poster and I very much doubt if guidelines like the above (which is basic common sense) would have dissuaded them.
I wamt to neg rep you for posting that twice.

52 neg rep and proud. - Honeykid

That ain't anything considering how many posts you have.
Well, obviously. I'm hardly ever wrong.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Question: The Rep within 24 hours bit was eliminated?

Suspect's Reviews

I'm not sure what you're referring to. There was a provision like that on the old system, but not on this one. However, I retrofitted the post comments to use that system, so I think that's the only place you'd potentially run into it.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Under Rep Tracker, it says how many positive percentage and negative percentage. If someone repped you in would say Repped in the past 24 hours and repped this week I believe.

Looks to be gone now, or maybe it has been for awhile. I just put it here instead of making new thread.

Oh, yes. Yeah, that's gone for now. Way too intensive to calculate. I'm thinking of efficient ways to bring that kinda stuff back, but for now it was the only way to get the Reputation Tracker loading in a reasonable amount of time. It was taking 10-12 seconds, and usually takes just a few now.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
He still has 11197 and doesn't seem to be impressed!
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

\m/ Fade To Black \m/
I did wonder what had happened to the neg rep. Does anyone remember that loon that was posting nonsense all the time and ended up with a red lightsaber, that was hilarious. Think his name was something like terminator.

Are you referring to the "alternate universe" guy? The one who asked all those pointless what-ifs about movies? That was hilarious.