Cobpyth's Top 101 Favorite Feature Films

→ in
Tools    

Yep, I share your feelings on Gravity great movie. The only thing that bothered me was when Bullock saw the ghost of Clooney. I found it cliché and pointless, but it doesn't change the fact that it's a great film
That's actually one of my favorite moments of the film and I think it's also one of the most poignant scenes in terms of message and emotional impact on the audience. I heard the audience in my theater sobbing during that scene, but when Clooney suddenly entered the picture, everyone started laughing. I absolutely loved that. The scene wasn't only telling something, but it was also letting us experience its meaning. It's a pity it didn't have the same effect on you, but for me it worked marvelously.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
That's actually one of my favorite moments of the film and I think it's also one of the most poignant scenes in terms of message and emotional impact on the audience. I heard the audience in my theater sobbing during that scene, but when Clooney suddenly entered the picture, everyone started laughing. I absolutely loved that. The scene wasn't only telling something, but it was also letting us experience its meaning. It's a pity it didn't have the same effect on you, but for me it worked marvelously.
I was about to say that that was my favorite part as well. It really really worked well for me.

Gravity was OK. It would've been more like the spectacular I was expecting if it'd looked half as good as it does in 2D. It still wouldn't have been great, because I didn't get any of the tension or anything else that others do from it, but at least the spectacle would've matched expectations.

88. Rebecca (1940)

I was completely blown away by this picture when I watched it for the first time and I still adore it very much. I like how it is divided in three clearly different parts with three very different plot developments, but all with the same presence of this overarching figurative 'ghost'. It creates mystery, it creates suspense and it results in several unforgettable climaxes.

This is actually the only film by Hitchcock that ever won the Oscar for best Picture, but somehow it gets overlooked a lot in conversations about the director's filmography. I happen to think that it's an extremely effective and grotesque dramatic thriller that really knows how to captivate an audience's attention.

-------------------------------

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Rebecca is pretty low on my Hitchcock chart, but it still is a good film. I would probably like it even more if I saw it again, since it has been awhile.

87. The Wolf of Wall Street (2013)

(What other image could I have possibly used? )

This is the most recent inclusion on my list and also ranks as my favorite film of 2013 at this point (although you can all see that Gravity comes really close).

What can I say? I Loved every single minute of Scorsese's latest picture about excess, greed and how our current system somehow promotes this kind of behavior.

This film is not a lecture and it never comes across as preachy, but instead it submerges the audience in the life of one of Wall Street's most infamous characters of the '80s and early '90s and makes them experience the exuberance that goes with the lifestyle, while also exposing the dark and immoral sides of it all.

The Wolf of Wall Street is three hours of pure entertainment and dark comedy at its best and ranks among the very best films of recent years and of Martin Scorsese's career.

Loved The Wolf of Wall Street. My second favorite movie from last year. Don't know if I'd put it in my top 100 though, but still

Finished here. It's been fun.
Wolf of Wall Street is incredible. Might make my top 100 of all-time as well.

Well, I think it's a pretty easy and oversentimental way to give her some hope back, but I see your point

Rebecca and Woolf of Wall Street are awesome!

I completely agree on Young Frankenstein, a hilarious movie by the greatest comedic director ever.

Gravity is one of the best films of this year, and I could not agree more on the mind blowing visual spectacle in the theater. I am very excited for the future of cinema because of it!

And do I need to even mention Wolf of Wall Street? I was very vocal in my anticipation and even more vocal with my love for it! My favorite film of the year!

I saw Gravity in 3D at the cinema and thought it was great, and I have now seen The Wolf of Wall Street three times already, two great films that are amongst my favourites of 2013.

Edit: Also need to see Rebecca, feels like I haven't watched a Hitchcock film in ages, which is never a good thing!

It's been a long time since I saw Rebecca; I remember loving it, but need to see it again.

The Wolf of Wall Street was an instant favorite; I can't wait until I show it to the wife.

Keep this baby moving Cobpyth
Of course, of course. I went to London for a few days with some friends, so I didn't really have the time to go on the computer a lot. I'll definitely go further with this now that I'm back.

86. Nashville (1975)

This is the first Altman film on my list. He's one of my very favorite directors and he made a whole bunch of memorable films. This is one of them.

Altman is a master of big film pieces that bring together several character plots, as he always seems to make the whole better than the summation of the different parts, in my opinion. I love how Altman's films focus on character stories, rather than classic plots and this is very much the case in Nashville.

I can't give away too much about this film, as it is very much an experience that you have to go through before you are able to grab its purpose and can see it for what it is. It's not a film for everyone, but I absolutely LOVE it. It's such a rich piece of cinema and it's full of thoughtful themes and emotional power.

I also thought the music was kind of good, actually. I know many MoFos dislike it, but I though it was more than OK! Don't let your hate for country music pull you away from this movie, though. Loving country music is definitely not necessary to enjoy this film's greatness. Interesting story developments are also often happening during the songs, so it's not like you'll get bored by the songs if you find yourself engaged with the stories.

Great choice. I have only watched this for the first time this past year and loved it. It is only growing in my mind. Probably will make my next 100 list.