Godoggo's 120 favorite movies

→ in
Tools    

Chappie doesn't like the real world
Like I said, it's a movie that I can see a lot of people on here liking. If I were to compare it to a another movie, I'd have to say Fargo. There are a lot of differences, but the tone is similar.

114. The Science of Sleep (2006 Michael Gondrey)

It makes me feel schizometric

I love the whimsy of The Science of Sleep. I've always enjoyed exploring my own dreams and I absolutely love the way Gondry portrays dreams here. Gael Garcia Bernal plays Stephane, an immature, naive man-boy who moves next door to Stephanie and begins a complicated infatuation with her. Bernal hits the right note. Another actor and Stephane could have been insufferable.

As dreams blur into reality, the movie keeps getting better and better. It's maybe a little clunky at times, but it's one of the more charming love stories out there.

115. Charlotte's Web (1973 Charles A. Nichols, Iwao Takamoto)

You have been my friend. That, in itself, is a tremendous thing

Apparently E. B. White didn't like the "jolly songs" in the film adaptation of his book, but I really do,especially Templeton the rat's ode to over indulgence at the county fair. But besides all the fun songs and funnier animals is a heart warming story of loyalty, loss and friendship.

Thumbs up for Charlotte's Web. I think the movie holds a lot of responsibility for my love of rats (my first rat was a big gray boy named Templeton, actually).

I love his fair song, too.

I sometimes wish I had kids so that I could experience movies like Charlotte's Web all over again through thier eyes. Templeton was my favorite character when I was a child, but my parents wouldn't let me have a rat. The compromised with a guinea pig.

Templeton was always my favorite, too, and I also wasn't allowed to have pet rats as a child. There was no compromise on that with my parents. We had cats, plus some goldfish in a pond in the backyard and that was about it. But when I was 18 or 19 and had a job, I got Templeton. Parents weren't happy about it, but didn't do anything about it either.
Not long after, I got a second rat, and then a third and fourth. I've had somewhere around 30 of them over the years including my current 3. The most I've had at any one time is 8.

But back on the subject of the movie, most of the animated films I grew up loving I can't stand to watch anymore and a lot of that is because of the music (I do not like musicals). But not Charlotte's Web. I still love it and the 31 year old me will still sing along to that song...

The fair is a ver-i-table smorgasbord-orgasbord-orgasbord after the crowds have ceased...

I like rats too. They are much more socioable than guinea pigs.

I also still sing along to Charlotte's Web and I still cry every single time.

That last post has garnered my first rep for this list. I love Charlotte's Web. I loved the book, I love that film and I loved the 2006 remake.

I have two copies of the book. One was given to me as a birthday present by my mom. No one is allowed to read that one, so I bought another copy. I'm very sentimental about Charlotte's Web.

I'm a big fan of E.B. White in general. Besides Dahl, he's my favorite childrens author.

Up to this point I haven't watched a single film from this list. Kudos for original preferences.
Thanks. I have some coming up that you've seen, if you stick with me. I know you don't like clay-mation, but you may want to give Harvey Krumpet a try anyway.

112. Dog Soldiers(2002 Neil Marshall)

Extremely tense, gory, brutal and also very funny, this is an all out blood bath and one of the best werewolf movies to come out in ages. I'd prefer one that was more entrenched in werewolf lore, but as of late those have all been horrible, so I'm very happy to have tbis one.

113. Parenthood (1989 Ron Howard)

Parenthood is extremely funny and Steve Martin has a lot of zingy one liners, but underneath all that are some really important issues being delt with. The kids are weird and troubled, the teenagers are rebellious, the parents are guilt-ridden and worried and even the ones who appear to be O.K are just as confused once you scratch the surface

This is all delt with with humor and a gentle hand by Howard. These are all good, (with maybe one exception) imperfect people who stumble along doing the very best they can.

The only film I've seen on the list so far is Charlottes Web way back in 2nd grade. A lot look intresting though. Looking forward to the rest.

I made the mistake of putting on Dog Soldiers for me and the wife. She had no interest after 5 minutes. I'm going to watch it when she's not home.

Let me know what you think. It seems like something you might enjoy. Does your wife not like gory movies, or was it just this movie in particular?

Miss Vicky's Loyal and Willing Slave
Congrats on finally starting a list. And wow, credit for originality with your picks. I've only seen one film so far (Science of Sleep) and barely even heard of the rest. Will have a look at all of them though and see if they sound like my kind of thing.

Looking forward to the rest of your list

Let me know what you think. It seems like something you might enjoy. Does your wife not like gory movies, or was it just this movie in particular?
She doesn't mind gore so much but she's not into werewolves or B movies. And she's skeptical of my taste as it is.

Congrats on finally starting a list. And wow, credit for originality with your picks. I've only seen one film so far (Science of Sleep) and barely even heard of the rest. Will have a look at all of them though and see if they sound like my kind of thing.

Looking forward to the rest of your list

Thank ya kindly, JayDee. I know you've seen a few of the movies to come. You've reviewed a couple.

120. Harvey Krumpet(2003 Adam Elliot)

Fakt 116: Certain frogs can come back to life when thawed. Humans do not.

My one and only short on my list belongs to Harvey Krumpet. I know it's cliche to say that a film is inspirational, but Harvey Krumpet is my clay-mation hero. Everything awful happens to Harvey, (his parents freeze to death, he has tourettes, loses a testicle and there is even more) but not only does he persevere, he finds a way to live life to the fullest.

Adam Elliot has a real gift for finding the joy in the absurd and I love that.
Wow. That was so... matter of fact. Darkly so. But strangely uplifting. I actually really enjoyed it, so thanks for including it!

110. Halloween (1978 John Carpenter)

But you can't kill the boogie man!

This movie will forever scare the crap out of me. I watched it the first time with my dad. He ended up sleeping on the recliner and what sleep I did get was on the couch. Even after watching it numerous times, I'm not going to get a great night's sleep afterwords.

Halloween is so atmospheric and Michael Myers is the ultimate evil incarnate man behind the mask. Every scene has me on edge. I won't go into detail in case you haven't seen it, but Halloween contains one of the most scream inducing, cover your eyes scenes I have ever seen.

Rob Zombie understood nothing about what made Halloween scary. He essentially neutered Michael with his whole back story. This is the Halloween that matters. This is the one that will have you looking under your bed and in your closet.

111. Snatch (2001 Guy Ritchie)

Snatch is not a masterpiece by a long shot, but it is slick, cool, and immensely quotable. It has a cast of colorful characters, each one more fun than the next.