The MoFo Top Neo-noir Countdown - Preliminary Thread

→ in
Tools    

Yesterday was the first day that I've gotten multiple ballots at once (got 3 or 4), which signals that our commencement date is approaching. These are the ballots I have so far...

1. John W Constantine
  2. Holden Pike
  3. Balor
  4. seanc
  5. Allaby
  6. GulfportDoc
  7. Tugg
  8. MovieFan1988
  9. Citizen Rules
  10. Diehl40
  11. mrblond
  12. Harry Lime
  13. Miss Vicky
  14. Thursday Next
  15. Fabulous
  16. Yoda
  17. Cobpyth
  18. Torgo
  19. Frightened Inmate No. 2
  20. PHOENIX74
  21. Wigram
  22. stillmellow
  23. SpelingError
  24. LAMb EELYAK

If you've submitted your ballot, and your name is not there, first check out your Inbox to confirm you received the automatic reply with a copy of your ballot, then let me know via DM.

Also, as I've said a couple of times, I really don't have the time to check every entry on every ballot for specific eligibility; that should be every participant's job. That said, I am looking at the ballots and if I do see ludicrous entries, I might tap your shoulder, and I think there are a couple worth checking and confirming in the last ones I've received.

Anyway, keep watching and voting!

A system of cells interlinked
Got another film in last night, another film I hadn't seen: One False Move.

Even though I checked that all the films on my shortlist qualified for the Countdown, now that I'm trying to make those last few cuts and finalize the order of my list, I am now questioning exactly how neo-noir every other film is.

Anyone else suddenly lose confidence in their definition of neo-noir as well, or do I just need a little break to get my head back on straight? lol

Even though I checked that all the films on my shortlist qualified for the Countdown, now that I'm trying to make those last few cuts and finalize the order of my list, I am now questioning exactly how neo-noir every other film is.

Anyone else suddenly lose confidence in their definition of neo-noir as well, or do I just need a little break to get my head back on straight? lol
Very recognizable, still hard to define for me, there's no exact checklist. Somehow while watching a neo-noir, the film gives me that undefinable noir feeling, vibe or mood. Just go with your gut feeling would be my advice. I'm watching four more Neo-noirs and then I'm submitting my ballot.

Yeah, I think it's expected to second-guess your choices, especially in something as "ambiguous" as neo-noir. Like John Connor just said, go with your gut. I would add, keep browsing lists of neo-noirs here and there, and try to find that common thread through all of them, and see if the ones in your list fit. The thing is that in many cases it's more a thing of atmosphere and vibe than something more tangible, but again, go with your gut.

I never had any confidence in my definition.

I put together a shortlist based off of Wikipedia's Neo Noir List and a few others, then went through and checked eligibility. Once I cut out the ineligible titles, I was left with 25 so the only decisions I had to make were about order.

I went with "what felt right" at the time for my neo noir list. That included certain films by directors that were more obvious neo noir candidates that I voted for vs ones that were technically classified as neo noir and I might have liked more. Classic noir was easier.
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

I am murky enough on the definition that I just went with movies that technically met the criteria. I'm sure there are some wasted votes on my list, but that's probably a good thing since I don't know what the heck I'm talking about.

In opening picture above, I see you included Jackie Brown and Drive as neo noir, so I will consider them for my list.

Question: is The Killer (2023) neo noir?
What else would it be? I say yes.

What else would it be? I say yes.
Regardless, it's not eligible since it is only identified as "neo-noir" on IMDb.

Ok, people, there are just a couple of days left. I just sent a group DM to most active posters as a reminder, so don't hate me for it

There might have been a couple of users I wasn't able to DM for one or two reasons, so I might tag them here. Hope you're not bothered but I'm gonna need your ballot...

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Please stop pestering me. I won't waste my time sending you a ballot for the top neo-noir countdown. I won't send one for the top noir countdown either, for that matter. It's obvious which films are the best in both genres. Any cinephile worth their salt would know that.

Now please stop bothering me with your trivial matters.

Just kidding. I love you.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.