The MoFo Top 100 of the 60s: Countdown

→ in
Tools    

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
I adore The Umbrellas of Cherbourg! I rented it on the strength of a still image somebody posted when recommending the film. Like others, I had no idea it was a musical, so when I saw that it was, I was looking forward to it even more The colours are amazing, the music is fantastic, the whole atmosphere of the film is a joy. I think of this film as like one of those macarons, colourful, sweet but not too sweet. It also reminds me quite a bit of my #1 60s film A Taste of Honey. I had it at #4

I watched Judgment at Nuremberg in preparation for this list. It didn't make my final 25 but I did think it was a very interesting, well made film. It certainly has relevance now, but I think it must have had even more when it was made, before we were saturated with fictional film versions of the holocaust.

The Umbrellas of Cherbourg was one of the last two or three I cut from my list to get it down to twenty-five. But I like it scads and am glad to see it made the top fifty, even without my help.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

I like Les Parapluies de Cherbourg a lot, it's beautiful to look at, the music is good and Deneuve.... probably one of the most beautiful actress ever. But it didn't make my list.

As for Judgment at Nuremberg it has one of the best if not the best script I've ever seen in a film. The fact it's a film from the early 60's makes it even more impressing. My mom (who is born in 1966) told me that when she was in school Hitler was taboo because it was still to fresh in our memory, so to have a german lawyer (played marvelously by Maximilian Schell) give a good defense of the german people only 15 or 20 years after the war is very courageous. Non only is it courageous, but it is also important, these kind of films are movies that make the ones who Watch them more intelligent, it makes them think about the issues, consider what should be done, what is just, what is the responsability of the german people, etc. So honesly this is a masterpiece and one of my favorite film of all time.

The Umbrellas of Cherbourg was tenth on my list. Could have been higher, but as I've mentioned my top twenty are pretty interchangeable. Ties with Singin' in the Rain as my favourite musical at the moment, and both are two of my very favourites of all time. The ending is heartbreaking.

The Breakdown...

The Manchurian Candidate

4th (22 points), 5th (21 points), 6th (20 points), 8th (18 points), 9th (17 points), 10th (16 points), 11th (15 points), 13th (13 points), 2x 14th (24 points), 15th (11 points), 18th (8 points), 2x 24th (2 points), 25th (1 point)

Peeping Tom

5th (21 points), 7th (19 points), 2x 8th (36 points), 2x 9th (34 points), 10th (16 points), 11th (15 points), 14th (12 points), 15th (11 points), 16th (10 points), 18th (8 points), 22nd (4 points), 23rd (3 points), 24th (2 points)

Notes

Both films were the only to receive their respective amount of points, so no tie breaking was needed.

Peeping was my #14... I had it down as a "probably not now we're within the Top 40".

So glad it made it though

1. Definitely, maybe even Top 10
2. Definitely Top 10
3. Maybe, possibly in the 30s
4. Definitely
5. Definitely
6. Maybe, possibly in the 30s
7. Definitely, maybe even Top 10
8. Maybe, possibly in the 30s
9. The Haunting (1963) - 42nd
10. True Grit (1969) - 69th
11. Definitely Top 10
12. Definitely Top 10
13. Maybe, possibly in the 30s
14. Peeping Tom (1960) - 33rd
15. Cape Fear (1962) - 84th
16. Probably not now we’re within the Top 40
17. Definitely Top 10
18. Maybe, possibly in the 20s
19. Probably not now we’re within the Top 40
20. Easy Rider (1969) - 38th
21. Definitely, maybe even Top 10
22. Definitely Top 10
23. Definitely
24. Pretty sure it’ll make it, maybe Top 20
25. Probably not now we’re within the Top 40

I havent' seen The Manchurian Candidate.

The Peeping Tom is a
film. Not on my list, but I loved it. I adore the film's colours and the beginning POV shot already tells the viewer he's in for a treat. It's hard to say if the film is better than Hitchcock's Psycho from the same year, but in all honesty, it's hard to compare these two, too. Regardless everything, I had sympathy for the protagonist of Peeping Tom, which I can't say about Bates. I also think that Htichcock's movie ending with a guy explaining what happened was unnecessary. Peeping Tom's ending, on the other hand, is pretty brutal and kinda obvious, but it also has some sort of violent, wicked poetry to it. But I am a guy who sees poetry in Nekromantik's ending, so you don't necessarily have to agree with me.

Trouble with a capital "T"
I liked but didn't vote for The Manchurian Candidate.

I never heard of Peeping Tom, I just read a synopsis and it doesn't sound like anything I want to see....Here's hoping tomorrow has more musicals on the countdown.

The People's Republic of Clogher
The Manchurian Candidate was my #18. I included it despite the infuriating plot inconsistency which has bugged me for close to 60 years:

WARNING: "The Manchurian Candidate" spoilers below
What part of Manchester is the candidate from? Eccles? Ordsall? Worsley? It's never explained...

Two from my list! Manchurian Candidate was number 10, and Peeping Tom was my 24. Getting worried about my number three though...

1. ?
2. ?
3. ?
4. ?
5. A Fistful of Dollars (1964) #51
6. ?
7. ?
8. ?
9. ?
10. The Manchurian Candidate (1962) #34
11. The Battle of Algiers (1966) # 69
12. What Ever Happened to Baby Jane (1962) #73
13. Red Beard (1965) #60
14. ?
15. ?
16. True Grit (1969) #72
17. ?
18. ?
19. ?
20. ?
21. ?
22. ?
23. ?
24. Peeping Tom (1960) #33
25. Manos: The Hands of Fate (1966) (1 Pointer)

My List 7/25
Seen 27/68

@Tacitus

The Manchurian Candidate is very good. I had considered it for my list but didn't have the time to rewatch it while discovering many new films. I really should have gotten around to Peeping Tom, think I'll watch it in the next few days.

Seen - 32/68
My List - 5/25

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I watched both of these movies in preparation for this list.

I considered The Manchurian Candidate for my list, but it just didn't make the final cuts.

Peeping Tom was a good movie, but I never really considered it for my list.

I already posted a bit on what appeared from my list, but I still missed out on a lot here... So I just wanna post my thoughts and experience with a few of these films to try and catch up a bit!

67. The Virgin Spring - was my #20!

65. Contempt - tried my first Godard with this one, wasn't a fan. Didn't finish it.

62. Onibaba - heard great things about this, it was actually top of my watchlist but I didn't watch it in time and never got around it since...

61. Repulsion - watched 30-40 minutes, it didn't click with me. Hope to finish it some day.

60. Red Beard - need to watch more Kurosawa!

58. Army of Shadows - Loved Le Samourai! I think Melville can turn out to be a favorite of mine in the future...

55. Andrei Rublev - I haven't watched nearly enough Tarkovsky yet! I want to though.

54. An Autumn Afternoon - Ozu is a director I need to explore!

53. A Hard Day's Night - I want to watch this, but haven't yet.

52. The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance - wasn't as good as I hoped, but decent film. I usually love me some Jimmy but he seemed off in this. John Wayne was great though imo...

51. A Fistful of Dollars - was my #11!

49. Mary Poppins - never interested me one bit...

48. Elmer Gantry - oh mark, your one and only film! I was actually just about to watch it leading up to the 60s list, but my copy f*cked and I never got around it again.

47. Spartacus - I take my time with Kubrick, but it's a director I obviously want to explore from beginning to end. Haven't watch this one yet though.

46. Goldfinger - didn't make the cut for my list, but I appreciate it a lot. Don't think it is as good as its reputation though. For me, From Russia with Love is a little better...

45. Bonnie and Clyde - interesting film it seems, but I haven't got the greatest desire to watch it.

44. Z - watched around 30-40 minutes of this and HATED it. Don't think I will ever try to finish it...

42. The Haunting - seemed like my kind of film, but I didn't love it as much as I hoped. Maybe a rewatch will change it, but for now it's just alright.

41. Pierrot Le Fou - had it ready to watch but didn't get around it.

38. Easy Rider - always wanted to watch this, but haven't yet.

37. The Sound of Music - was my #17!

35. Judgment at Nuremberg - started watching it one day, but I wasn't in the mood to really get into it at that time, so I stopped it. I want to finish it some day though.

33. Peeping Tom - Never got around it unfortunately, but I think it would have had a chance of getting on my list!

I better start paying more attention or I'll miss the whole damn thing!

Finally, two that I've seen and one from my list even.

Here are my brief thoughts on The Manchurian Candidate

The Manchurian Candidate stars Frank Sinatra and is fairly popular on this forum. I know I've been saying this a lot lately, but I feel it deserves another watch. I feel like it might be like the film I watched earlier for this challenge, Life and Death of Colonel Blimp, which improves anytime I think about it. The film was released five years after the second red scare, but has it's share of anti-communism propaganda. But it was presented in such a wholesome way, that I loved it. The scene where Raymond (Laurence Harvey) was hospitalized was talented in a comical sense. The ending was also terrific, but I think it's the only twist I didn't predict beforehand. The film handles the idea of brain wash and communism, and it doesn't feel dated! That's perhaps its greatest accomplishment. Which is odd since it was only released a year later than The Young Savages.
Peeping Tom squeezed on to my list at #23. Captivating in its story telling, fascinating in the psychological aspect, and technically brilliant.

My List:
3. Knife in the Water
5. La Jetee
7. The Trial
21. Breathless
23. Peeping Tom
24. Elmer Gantry

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
The Manchurian Candidate is the 6th from my list - I had it as my #14. Peeping Tom didn't make my list, but I champion it often.
The Manchurian Candidate (John Frankenheimer, 1962)
+
Why don't they make awesome trailers like this anymore?

I've only recently learned that there are a few serious movie lovers who apparently believe this masterpiece is undeserving of what I consider its well-merited praise. This is one of those films which I gave a perfect 10/10 the first time I watched it (I believe I may have done that 25 times or so in my entire life), and although I love it just as much now as I did the first time, it's helped me to develop my rating system (which I realize you guys don't especially like, but remember about the +1 and -1 I've mentioned around several times).

Anyway, this is where I'd usually waste a paragraph detailing the plot, but if you know the plot, you know that's heresy, and if you don't know the plot, I accept your thanks here and now. How about I talk about various details. First off, let me discuss what "genre" this film belongs to: political satire, thriller, science fiction, black comedy, film noir, tragedy, mystery, family drama, and that's just a start. Second, what about the acting in this flick? Laurence Harvey only got one Oscar nom for Best Actor (Room at the Top), but even using Holden's criteria, he should have received one for this. Frank Sinatra may have never done a better-acted scene than the finale of this film. Sinatra and Janet Leigh have always been singled out in the past for having crazy scenes together. In the past, that usually meant bad, but today, it most certainly better mean good. Angela Lansbury is mind-boggling as Harvey's mom who really propels the plot along. If you're a straight male and you don't fall in love with Leslie Parrish, I don't know what to say... John McGiver, who was so memorable in George Axelrod's previous script (Breakfast at Tiffany's) is equally wonderful here, and James Gregory is a hoot and a half as Lansbury's Senator husband and Harvey's stepfather who does his best Joseph McCarthy as an Idiot impression ("There are exactly 57 card-carrying Communists in the State Dept.")

Third, I personally call John Frankenheimer's direction "visionary and epic" since that covers most of the other words I want to use. The novel by Richard Condon is brilliant, so if you're the director, it's just such a juicy chance to try to match it with your own personality. Frankenheimer immediately begns the film in utter mystery. Although we know we're in the Korean War in 1952, what happens in the first five minutes throws the audience for such a loop that maybe they'll fall out of the plane. Frankenheimer uses day for night and incredible lighting to get across something bad happening involving the Commies. It's only later, in one of the wittiest visual scenes ever conceived (with awesome production design by Richard Sylbert) that we understand that the plot involves brainwashing. Lionel Lindon's circular photography is incredible here, and later on, his deep focus lensing kicks in just to show you that there are others besides Gregg Toland who are experts at the technique.

Two other things which highlight why Frankenheimer was robbed of a Best Director nomination (he never got one!!) are his use of live video feeds and his incredible work with film editor Ferris Webster. In this film and Seven Days in May, Frankenheimer went out of his way to be one of the first theatrical feature directors to utilize video/TV monitors to its fullest. The press conference in this film, where Gregory first announces that there are Communists in the State Dept. is a perfect example but it's used again during the nominating convention at the film's conclusion. Another thing which Frankenheimer (and his fans) can be proud of is his use of slow fade-out pan shots to transition between scenes. He used this technique quite well in his previous Birdman of Alcatraz, but no one I know of has ever used the technique more-powerfully than he did during the scene where the Harvey character transitions from being loathsome into someone we can all feel sorry for, and that's the scene where he meets the Parrish character, who becomes the love of his life. A director has to be a magician to turn someone you want to hate into someone you really care about.

Other things of note include that this movie contained one of the first martial arts fights in a big American film. Yes, it's true that Sinatra broke his hand when he chopped through that coffee table, but he kept on fighting anyway. I have so much more to say but I'm trying to keep it spoiler-less. The only other thing I'll say is that I love David Amram's musical score, but I can't find a good example of it unfortunately.
Peeping Tom (1960)
+

Visual storytelling genius Michael Powell teamed up with scripter Leo Marks to make this audacious film which predated Psycho by months and was lambasted by the British critics as a "sexual snuff" film at the time of its release. In fact, after making one more film in England, this film's notoriety basically exiled the Master to Australia. Today, many of those same critics call it a masterpiece, and whatever you think about it, it's one of the most original and bizarre flicks ever made. Peeping Tom almost ranks up there with The Red Shoes as Powell's most-all-encompassing fever dream. When I say fever, I mean that the entire film is embued with red lights and it undoubtedly inspired such directors as Mario Bava and Dario Argento in the use of their color palette and their subjective camerawork.

The thing about this Powell movie which got him into so much trouble was that no matter how cinematic his images were, the critics only saw prostitutes, murder, sick-and-twisted father/son relationships, unhealthy preoccupation with sex and death, and here's the kicker: the fact that Powell himself played the twisted scientist father and had his own son play his son at an early age as a victim of his father's abuse. The psychological underpinnings of the main character's actions, which are far more developed than those of Norman Bates, didn't count for much for the lynch mob critical community, even though Hitch came along a few months later and made them come up with excuses for him. The problem is that no matter what Powell accomplished in his film, he didn't film the flourishes that Hitch did with a far-more unexplainable story (even though some "psychiatrist" tries to explain Norman's motivations at the end of Psycho). Norman Bates is a sympathetic character, but there's no way he's more sympathetic than Mark Lewis in Peeping Tom. Even so, it's quite an accomplishment for both Powell and Hitch to put out such films so close together in the prehistoric year of 1960. It's just sad that the proven genius Powell was turned into a pariah while the proven genius Hitchcock became a millionaire.

Save the Texas Prairie Chicken
Manchurian Candidate is boring.
I've never denied the fact that I am a very boring person. So, boring people must like boring movies because I had this at #11.

"Peeping Tom". I haven't thought about that movie in years. I will have to watch it again, I suppose, to see why it ended up so high on this list (I honestly don't remember too much about it - I saw it a LONG time ago).

Meh, not a fan of Peeping Tom at all. Definitely too high, there are a lot of other movies that are way more deserving.