famous people rocking Star Wars gear

Gnarls Barkley

Julia Roberts

Jennifer Aniston in Friends

Kristen Bell

Megan Fox

Tina Fey on SNL

and that was just spending 15 minutes looking around

Was there a cooler [action] figure than this?

The Black Hole (1979) kinda stunk, ultimately, but Maximillian was a total bad ass, and a great action figure.

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	Max.jpg
Views:	1758
Size:	141.4 KB
ID:	16994  
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

i think I had Star Wars at #22 or something like that, I actually think it's better then Empire Strikes Back.

Star Wars is my #3...

1. Alien - 5th
2. Deliverance - 51st
3. Star Wars - 4th
4. Close Encounters Of The Third Kind - 14th
7. The Deer Hunter - 38th
8. Carrie - 36th
11. Superman The Movie - 23rd
13. The Exorcist - 12th
14. Mad Max - 70th
15. Then Texas Chainsaw Massacre - 25th
16. The Wicker Man - 79th
17. Logan’s Run - 100th
21. Rocky - 11th
24. Dawn Of The Dead - 35th
25. Assault On Precinct 13 - 80th

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
As much as I would have liked to see Star Wars as the #1 movie, I knew that it wouldn't make it to the top of the countdown. It seems to have almost as many haters as it has fanatics. It was #3 on my list.

I remember when cable TV was starting to become popular in our area, my parents refused to spend money on cable TV. They just felt that there was no reason to pay money to see movies that would eventually be on regular TV for free.

But one day, a salesman from Cablevision came to our door, and he showed my mother the newest Cable TV Schedule (their version of TV Guide magazine). It had Star Wars on the cover. The next day, we had cable TV in our house.

Not only did I have all the toys when I was a kid, but I still have all the toys all over the house, plus dolls, statues, DVDs, records, books, cookie jars, posters, and just about anything else you can think of. I have all the original movie posters, even the Jedi ones that were printed with the name Revenge of the Jedi, before it was changed. I even buy and sell collectibles for a living, including of course, all things Star Wars at sci-fi conventions.

Here's my complete list, minus the my #4 which will be in the top 3. Here's hoping that it's #1.

1) Close Encounters of the Third Kind (#14)
2) Superman the Movie (#23)
3) Star Wars (#4)
4) Top 3
5) The Champ (1979)
6) 1776 (1972)
7) Bang the Drum Slowly (1973)
8) Three Days of the Condor (1975)
9) Time After Time (1979)
10) The Hot Rock (1972)
11) The Electric Horseman (1979)
12) The Frisco Kid (1979)
13) The Sting (#57)
14) Kramer vs. Kramer (#44)
15) Hot Stuff (1979)
16) The French Connection (#31)
17) The Seven-Ups (1973)
18) Sleuth (#91)
19) Duel (#104)
20) Murder by Death (#101)
21) The Muppet Movie (#69)
22) The End (1978)
23) Smokey and the Bandit (#124)
24) Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory (#47)
25) Love at First Bite (My One Pointer)

Man, who let all the geeks out?

I'll never understand the massive appeal of the Star Wars franchise. I mean, I can understand if you were a kid when it first came out, but the movies continue to spawn new fans with every generation. Maybe the prequels ruined it for me, since they were my introduction to that world. I didn't see the original trilogy until a few years ago. Maybe I would've loved them if I had seen them when I was eight years old--- and all three, even the relatively weak Return of the Jedi, are definite improvements on the prequels--- but my enjoyment was limited. Just not my kinda thing, I guess.

I have a brother who is 13 years older than me, and even though I've never heard him express any real passion for the franchise, he owned several of the original action figures. I played with them when I was a kid, too, but I mostly just used them as low-level thugs for my Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and Power Rangers action figures to beat up. Let me tell you, Darth Vader got his ass regularly handed to him by the Green Ranger.

The best thing to come from Star Wars? Women dressing like this:

I'll never understand the massive appeal of the Star Wars franchise.
Maybe the prequels ruined it for me, since they were my introduction to that world.
Pretty safe to say these two things are related, yeah.

Trouble with a capital "T"
Star Wars was my # 2 choice. It would have been # 1 if it wasn't for my personal connection to American Graffiti.

I saw Star Wars when it first came out. I remember the lines at the theater went around the block AND the movie had been playing at the same theater for months!

I was blown away by the movie. Nobody had seen story telling like that since the heroic movie serials of Flash Gordon in the mid 30s.

But unlike the fun, albeit cheesy Flash Gordon, Star Wars was well fleshed out with colorful characters, amazing sets and a story line that allowed one to dream.....escaping into another Universe.
For at least a while.

Pretty safe to say these two things are related, yeah.

You've been pretty secretive about your own list, MoFo Yoda...so where did Star Wars rank on your list?

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Star Wars was 2nd on my '70s List and 4th on my all-time list. If some of this is obscure, it's because I was referring to things happening at the site at the time. This is only two posts, and there's some overlap, but I didn't feel like editing them just in case you wanted to read them.
4. Star Wars (George Lucas, 1977)

Lucas takes a little bit of Kurosawa's Hidden Fortress and a whole lot of The Wizard of Oz, blends it with Buck Rogers serials, throws in a hip sense of humor, and voila! It's a nice combination of old veterans Alec Guinness and Peter Cushing with the "newcomers" Hamill, Ford and Fisher, plus it gives you James Earl Jones' ominous voice inside the covered-up bod of David Prowse (the weightlifter/bodyguard in A Clockwork Orange). I was there in the theatre on May 25, 1977, to see the opening of Star Wars. It was already a phenomenon. In fact, even though my bro and I bought our tickets 90 minutes in advance, we went to the book store to wait instead of standing in line. That meant that when we returned, there was only one seat available, so I let my younger brother sit while I stood in the back. It didn't matter. My mind was blown, plus we just stayed for a second show afterwards anyway. Then, when we walked out to my car, I had flyers for buying 20th Century stock from a local business. Well. I tossed those, even if I lost a pretty penny right there. I seem to recall the company's stock rising 50% the first week.

What else can you say about the original Star Wars? To meatwad, I want to tell you how terrific this film looked on the bigscreen. You can talk and talk about improvements in the video/DVD/changes by Lucas, etc., but trust me, over 30 years ago, Star Wars was a mind-blowing experience. People in the audience cheered, laughed and gasped, often all at the same time, and there is no way in hell, you'll convince me that moviegoers were less-sophisticated 30 years ago. Hell, back then, the audience at least required a film to have a script and some decent acting! (and yes, why would anybody wanna rag on Star Wars for the acting? If you do, you must live in some flippin' shell. Ha! Don't worry, I'm not dangerous, YET.)

]

I don't know what else to say about Star Wars which you don't already know. Everyone, except me, realizes that The Empire Strikes Back is far superior because it digs deeper into the mythos and creates "shocks". However, I still don't buy it. The Empire Strikes Back, my #80 film on this list, is a beautiful film and highly worthy of praise, but just like Godfather II, it needs some legs to stand on, and even then, it doesn't quite reach the heights of its predecessor. I know that puts me in the minority, but look at it this way; I've been in the minority for a LONG time.

P.S. I'm so crazy that under normal circumstances, I would have put Return of the Jedi in my list. It just keeps reminding me of so many films I haven't included. I guess I could start a mafo Maxwell Smart's Top 100: "Missed it by that much..."
Star Wars (George Lucas, 1977)

I realize that I'm one of those people who saw Star Wars at the theatre upon original release, twenty times in the first year, so to me, yes, it was something akin to the second coming of Jaws. No, this time the film didn't save my life, but I graduated from college just about a week after the film came out, so it did seem to come along as the completion of the Jaws miracle two years previously. Nowadays it's usually taken for granted that people think that The Empire Strikes Back is the best of the series, but I still don't buy it personally. Sure, the sequel is more-serious and darker, more-operatic, introduces the Jedi Yoda, and has one of the greatest reveals in film history, but it's just not really all that fun and then it ends anti-climactically. I love The Empire Strikes Back, but I love Star Wars much more.

For all its seeming ripoff of legends and tales from all over the world (and it's not my place here to discuss those; they have been discussed at the site elsewhere), Star Wars still feels fresh and new to me. I'll be the first to say that the acting and dialogue may seem weak here and there, but in the context of the entire stand-alone film and awesome universe and characters created, Star Wars deserves as much slack as just about any film I can think of. It's not meant to be all that deep, yet it easily becomes "the stuff that dreams are made of". Besides that, for all the acting you may think is weak, much of it actually fits the youngish characters, and to balance them out, you have the wonderful Alec Guinness, Peter Cushing and the overpowering voice of James Earl Jones.

I know that a lot of people hate Lucas based on his constant tinkering of the old trilogy and what they see as a raping with the new trilogy, but Star Wars was cool from the get-go and it still remains cool and just one of the most fun film experiences a child of any age can have. I put Star Wars on last week with a friend who hadn't even seen the version with all the changes and the extra F/X, and we both became little kids again. We didn't give a crap who shot first because we both remembered who shot first. It's not that big a deal in the grand scheme of things, at least it's not worth changing your opinion on what rating to give Star Wars. Go ahead and give Lucas some personal low ratings if you feel the need, but please don't attack the film (I have it in multiple incarnations, including the original release). I guess in this case, you can switch around the saying about "attack the message, but not the messenger."

Anyway, why do I love Star Wars? The opening scene with the Empire starship flying over your head at the beginning attacking Princess Leia's ship is still as memorable as it ever was. Tattoine is an awesome planet, containing tons of non-human life and the awesome space port of Mos Eisley and its charming cantina. No matter what Guinness thought of his character or dialogue, his Obi-Wan Kenobi is an awesome anchor to give this seemingly-lightweight film some needed extra gravitas. The switch to Warp Speed and the attack on the Death Star trench are two of the greatest scenes I've ever seen with a packed audience where everyone went insane laughing and clapping. John Williams did compose better scores than he did for the Star Wars series, but 95% of people will always remember him for the Star Wars films.

Just to remind people that Star Wars is actually full of wit or at least some form of humor, what about these bon mots of dialogue: "Uh, everything's under control. Situation normal." "Don't call me a mindless philosopher, you overweight glob of grease." "Who's the more foolish: The fool, or the fool who follows him?" "Aren't you a little short for a stormtrooper?" "Look, Your Worshipfulness, let's get one thing straight. I take orders from just one person: me." "It's a wonder you're still alive." "Will someone get this big walking carpet out of my way?" "You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought." "So, what do you think of her, Han? "I'm tryin' not to, kid." "Good." "Still, she's got a lot of spirit. I don't know, whaddya think? You think a princess and a guy like me... " "No." "Let him have it. It's not wise to upset a Wookiee." "But sir, nobody worries about upsetting a droid." "That's 'cause droids don't pull people's arms out of their sockets when they lose. Wookiees are known to do that." "I have a very bad feeling about this." "One thing's for sure, we're all gonna be a lot thinner." "Garbage chute. Really wonderful idea. What an incredible smell you've discovered!" "It could be worse." "It's worse." "Your eyes can deceive you; don't trust them."

May the Force be with You.

You've been pretty secretive about your own list, MoFo Yoda...so where did Star Wars rank on your list?
It's not a deliberate secrecy, just a finite number of hours in the day. But since you asked, I had Star Wars at #2. And I really thought it had a great chance at being the #1 overall film (or maybe just a bit lower). Still, given that it's not a "serious" film, hard to be disappointed with #4.

Does everyone else like Empire better because it's darker, the twist, Yoda and Bobba Fett? They probably do. Apparently I'm the only straight man in the world who didn't find Leia in the bikini attractive (and I still think it's an ugly thing regardless of who's wearing it) so it's not as if I'm seeing the same thing as everyone else. For the record, I always found Yoda a little annoying in it, too.

I agree it's darker and I like that, but mainly I just think it looks so much better. That's why I love it much more than Star Wars. Don't get me wrong, I think it's the better film (better writing, better direction, etc) but the reason I love it more is beacuse it looks so good.

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
I had Star Wars at #2. I love the whole trilogy and have watched all of them many many times and I don't get tired of them. I've introduced my kids to them (in the correct order, starting with episode IV) and they love them too.

It's just such a classic story, with memorable characters, fun adventure, a clash of good v. evil, and a dash of humour.

we love movie battles, it feels like a boxing match or a fight-to-the-death between movies

but for me, choosing between Star Wars and Empire is like choosing between two great pairs of nike shoes. one shoe is all vintage and groovy and just makes you feel happy. the other is sleek, powerful, and kinda badazz. but they're both nike shoes

i give the edge to Star Wars, but that's never a slight against Empire, in my mind.
there are things that I feel Empire improves upon.
The characters relationships deepen, the banter between Han and Leia is witty and at its best in the series, Vader's musical theme arrives... one of the most exemplary themes in moviedom, and there are plenty of great cinematic moments & locations. the scene in the cave on Dagobah is quite memorable

I pick Star Wars bc it is the launching point, and i feel that the story could have gone in any number of directions. Consider the viewpoint Captain Spaulding just gave, that only geeks like these movies. That wasn't true with Star Wars '77. In 1977, Star Wars was groovy. It became nerd-dom over time, but that isn't what it has to be, and that isn't what it orginally was at its core
~he was the best starpilot in the galaxy, and a cunning warrior~
~get in there you big furry oaf, i don't care what you smell~
~the force is strong with this one~

I didn't bother putting Star Wars on my list because I knew it didn't need my help and I've honestly never been THAT crazy about the movies. I think they're great things, but the movies themselves never really grabbed me like they do other people. For me, I get too much of a -- "THIS is Star Wars. You HAVE to love this." -- kind of vibe from it all. And I've tried to love it and I need to see the movies again to be sure, but, coming from my own experiences with the movies -- I've never hated them, but I've never fallen in love with them, either. The phenomenon itself is interesting. The characters are enjoyable. But overall, if Star Wars never existed, that would be fine with me.

I think the first Star Wars -- EPISODE IV -- is the best one, so it's funny that I didn't have it on my list as I had Episode V and VI on my '80s list. But whatever.

Originally Posted by honeykid
Does everyone else like Empire better because it's darker, the twist, Yoda and Bobba Fett? They probably do. Apparently I'm the only straight man in the world who didn't find Leia in the bikini attractive (and I still think it's an ugly thing regardless of who's wearing it) so it's not as if I'm seeing the same thing as everyone else. For the record, I always found Yoda a little annoying in it, too.

I agree it's darker and I like that, but mainly I just think it looks so much better. That's why I love it much more than Star Wars. Don't get me wrong, I think it's the better film (better writing, better direction, etc) but the reason I love it more is beacuse it looks so good.
My problem with Empire is I find the snow planet setting boring. It may absolutely look better, but it does not play better for me.

VFN
Winter Calls Thy Name
Found Star Wars a bore fest. The story didn't grab me at all, Hans Solo and the Wookie were the only main characters I found likable, Darth Vader and his minions were like boring Nazis-in-space, the robot pair were annoying and rarely humorous. I liked The Empire Strikes Back mildly better but only due to the introduction of Yoda. The Indiana Jones series is much more to my liking as is Spielberg to Lucas.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Star Wars rules and Spaulding drools, but you already knew that. honey's just a lost cause, but I guess he's funny like the way he thinks A Man in the White Suit is kinda funny.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.

I think The Empire Strikes Back is a better movie than Star Wars, because it has more depth to it. We learn more about the characters, and even get some hints about what's coming up in the next movie. But I like Star Wars better than The Empire Strikes Back because it's more of a fun adventure, and it works better as a stand alone movie.

It’s A Classic Rope-A-Dope
Star Wars was my #4. I feel like I am just going to be repeating sentiments that others have already but you kind of have to say something when a film is one of the defining experiences in your movie life. Return Of The Jedi is the movie I watched at the drive-in that introduced me to this universe. After that I consumed all things Star Wars for many years though. I wasn't as spoiled as Holden so unfortunately I didn't have ALL the toys, but I did have my fair share. My cousin and I were both obsessed. We would go over to each other's house on the weekends and play with our action figures and watch our VHS copies of the movies. Like a couple others have said, I have enjoyed introducing my children to these movies, yes, even the prequels. They play with my action figures as well. They are not quite as geeky as I was about it but they are getting a much earlier start. By the time episode VIII or IX is released they will probably be worse than me. I will admit a little of the bloom has come off the rose for me with these films. They seem to creep farther and farther down my favorites list all the time. I really think that is just because I don't watch them much anymore. After watching them dozens of times you do memorize them and a little of the awe and wonder goes away. They will always be probably the most important movies to me as a film lover however.

When I think of Star Wars, I think of the characters and the set pieces. There is probably not one set piece that I find dull or uninteresting in all three movies. The first thing I thought of today when Star Wars popped up was the trash compactor scene. It is simple and maybe not the first that pops into most people's head but I simply love everything about it. Every lightsaber fight is fantastic. Obi-Wan and Vader in New Hope is my favorite. The way Lucas fills his world with interesting creatures that are of little consequence is amazing. Mos Eisley is a great example of this in New Hope. It has to be said even though it was on the 80's list, Honeykid is dead wrong about Hoth. That world is fantastic and a great introduction to the second picture.

Star Wars was a seminal film in my early movie watching life. Coming up in the next two days is a film that did the exact same thing for me as an adult. Let's hope I don't get to talk about that one till Sunday.