The MoFo Top 100 of the 1970s: Countdown

→ in
Tools    

The People's Republic of Clogher
Even though [i]President|/I] had only one top ten vote (5th place)
And I was that soldier.

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.

This was largely a test to see if I could do an update, including the anchors on the first page, from a bar, with a slight buzz, from my phone. For clarification, I am the buzzing one, not my android.

Test successful.

*URP*
Is that t-shirt a clue to the number one film?

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Despite IMDb listing All the President's Men as rated R, it was released with no edits as PG. This is significant because the f-word and its variations were used 11 times, so the movie does hold the record for most F-Bombs in a PG movie.

Unregistered User
Not seen Assault yet, although ive been meaing to for ages. I really liked all the rest from the last 6 with Hausu being my least favourite of the bunch.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Didn't expect Hausu. :0

I didn't vote for it.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Let the night air cool you off
Who were the members that had Hausu in their top ten? I had it at 15, and I never really expected anybody to have it higher than I did. At one point in time, I would have had it in my top ten. Since then it has slid a little bit in my mind, but I wish I could go back and experience that first time watching it again.

All the President's Men is a great movie, with great performances. Not on my list, but it deserves to make the final countdown. I love House. It's fun and trippy and I've seen it a few times, but I couldn't justify voting for it.

I didn't vote for All the President's Men but I at least considered it. Very strong movie all the way around.

I liked House a little bit in the same way I liked The Holy Mountain. Not my kind of movie but watchable.

One of today's movies was #18 on my list. The other wouldn't make my list if it was the only movie made in the 70's. I will leave it up to the imagination which is which.

Hausu is a crazy fantasy with lots of creativity and not much budget. I think a little of it goes a long way but it's short, so I won't complain about its inclusion.
That's retty much what I think about it too.

This is what I first wrote about it in the HoF thread:

Originally Posted by Cobpyth
Anyway, Hausu was definitely something... 'different'!

Short first impression:

I must say I really enjoyed it. The film is freaking weird and over the top, but that makes it all the more entertaining to watch.
Thematically, it is kind of all over the place, in the sense that it is a coming of age story, a story about loss, a story about family and a horror tale all at the same time. It kind of works, because the film has this very odd atmosphere and mood that is created by strange visuals and shattered shot sequences and uses this surrealism to make the audience capture all of these themes emotionally, while still being overwhelmed by what's actually happening on the screen.

I'm not sure if I LOVE this film already after this first watch, but I was certainly fascinated by its symbolism and its boldness, to say the least.
I still kind of feel the same way about it. It's very kitschy, but it's also a very enjoyable watch (even partly because of its kitschiness). It's very understandable that it has obtained such a cult following on this forum over the past few months.

I haven't seen All the President's Men yet, but I have it on DVD, so I might change that in one of the upcoming days.

SEEN: 10/26

100. Logan's Run -

98. Being There -

97. Fantastic Planet -
+
96. All That Jazz -
#12 on my list!
87. Saturday Night Fever -

84. The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie -

82. F for Fake -
#17 on my list!
78. MASH -
+ #19 on my list!
77. Mean Streets -
-
76. Hausu -

Neither were on my list, although I thought at least one of them was, so they must have been among the films I debated in including in the 20-25 positions.

Too very good/great films. I own House and watched it for the first time with my brother. There is a lot of movies that I say this about but it was/is really like nothing I have seen before. It is absolutely crazy, and uses almost every editing technique around, probably creating some in the process, to make it as psychedelic an experience as possible. I had heard a lot about it before I watched it, hence why I bought it, the Criterion cover itself is a work of art and I had seen lots of intriguing images: the piano, the cat etc. so when I started watching it and it began as some weird school girl movie, I was a little unsure how I would like the whole thing, but once they start the journey to the house it gets great. Lots of fun moments, the melon seller, the head in the well, and the whole ending is just absolutely relentlessness as things finally explode. I can see why some would absolutely hate this movie, and it may be quite silly, but it is just so f*cking fun.

I can not add much to what has already been said about All The President's Men. A lot of Seventies films deal with the paranoia and scandal of the country at that time, and I find most of these films fascinating, it will be interesting to see if another Redford film, Three Days of the Condor shows up. This film captures the era perfectly, and the way it tells the story is perfect, its a kind of great buddy movie with great performances and also a great underdog story, so I think that itself makes it a movie that I can not find many people disliking. Whilst I am pretty sure everyone watching it will know how it turns out, the mystery is handled perfectly, in a subtle but frantic kind of way that increases the tension and makes the pay off even more satisfying.

I would probably give both the films

I like, All the Presidents Men, but it was never in contention to make my list. Hausu I'm not particularly fond of at all although I'm not particularly surprised it made the cut.

So far only one of my picks (Alfredo Garcia) has appeared on this list.

Hausu was on my list, of course. #3 or 4 I think, I'll look it up when I'm not on my phone. Absolutely bonkers and I love it. I like All the President's Men but haven't seen it for a while, so I didn't vote for it.

Never seen President's Men. I thought Hausu got boring about halfway through. Still worth watching though.

Hausu was on my list, of course. #3 or 4 I think, I'll look it up when I'm not on my phone. Absolutely bonkers and I love it. I like All the President's Men but haven't seen it for a while, so I didn't vote for it.
It was your number four choice, Skepsis. You were the MoFo who had it the highest. Tacitus is who had All the President's Men the highest, at number five.

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	bowl.jpg
Views:	384
Size:	92.6 KB
ID:	16481  
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

A system of cells interlinked
I had All the President's Men at #25 ans Mean Streets at #8!