Does the "Bad Guy" ever win?

Tools    

hey
is there any movies where the bad guy actually gets the upper hand in the end?

Some more recent flicks that meet your criteria (beware of spoilers for all of the below):

A Nightmare on Elm Street, Book of Shadows: Blair Witch 2, Cabin Fever, The Devil's Advocate, Fallen, Final Destination, Final Destination 2, Frailty, Identity, In the Mouth of Madness, Jeepers Creepers, Matchstick Men, Memento, The Ninth Gate (somewhat), Othello, Pearl Harbor, Se7en, The Planet of the Apes, Resident Evil, The Ring, The Talented Mr. Ripley, The Texas Chainsaw Massacre, and The Usual Suspects.

Originally Posted by Yoda
Some more recent flicks that meet your criteria (beware of spoilers for all of the below):

A Nightmare on Elm Street, Book of Shadows: Blair Witch 2, Cabin Fever, The Devil's Advocate, Fallen, Final Destination, Final Destination 2, Frailty, Identity, In the Mouth of Madness, Jeepers Creepers, Matchstick Men, Memento, The Ninth Gate (somewhat), Othello, Pearl Harbor, Se7en, The Planet of the Apes, Resident Evil, The Ring, The Talented Mr. Ripley, The Texas Chainsaw Massacre, and The Usual Suspects.
Interesting topic good idea!I don't see however how the apes won in Planet of the Apes I did see the movie so how did they win?Also in the Devil's Advocate did it the devil die at the end of the movie?If so how did the villen win that one?Sorry I am alittle confuse yoda!See you around!JM
Favorite Movie of all time:Star Wars!
Online offline boyfriend:AdarkSideJedi(brad)
Other Sites I belong tooeathcurse.com Darkmark.com and StarWars.com and Adult Swim.com!

Originally Posted by Jackie Malfoy
Interesting topic good idea!I don't see however how the apes won in Planet of the Apes I did see the movie so how did they win?

WARNING: "Planet of the Apes" spoilers below
In the older version, it's revealed that they've taken over Earth. In the newer version, it's revealed that the apes (inexplicably) rule the world Mark Wahlberg escapes to. The latter doesn't make much sense, but both ultimately end with the primary character aghast and defeated.

Also in the Devil's Advocate did it the devil die at the end of the movie?If so how did the villen win that one?Sorry I am alittle confuse yoda!See you around!JM
WARNING: "The Devil's Advocate" spoilers below
At the very end, it's revealed that he's actually alive; he takes the place of a reporter and talks Kevin into an interview by appealing to his pride and ambition, ending the film with the line "vanity...definitely my favorite sin."

Chalk Full of Vitamin B
a couple more just off the top of my head, Phone Booth and They.

Kaiser "The Devil" Soze

I'm not too sure about Memento

WARNING: "Memento" spoilers below
Lenoard is told at the end of the movie or THE BEGINNING OF THE TIMELINE, that he has killed the "RIGHT" John G. a long time ago, only he doesn't remember it. We then question wheather or not John Gammel's photograph of him (the topless photo of him, somewhat covered in blood and pointing to his chest) really IS* a photo of what he claims it to be. If it IS, John Gammel stole Lenoard's picture in order to use him to kill that other guy for the money in the car. In that case John Gammel recieved a fitting end for taking advantage of him. But more importantly it means that he has found the RIGHT killer and avenged his wife's death. <----- as he was set out to do

But in the case that the photo ISN'T what John claims it to be, would lead us to ask questions such as how did that photo come into existence? which looks so geniune to what Gammel claims it to be.... I need a prequel

Either way I don't see how you think the "bad guy" has won in memento Yoda.

American Psycho
WARNING: spoilers below
If you belive that he killed Paul Allen and all those other people in the end

How do you get the white out spoiler box to work? It always shows up in my posts (see above).

Kaiser "The Devil" Soze
you have to put an "=(movie title here)" after the [spoilesr = xxxxxxxxxxx]

the spelling mistake is intentional...

Don't tell Robin I'm here!!
How about "Arlington Road" with Tim Robbins and Jeff Bridges? The bad guy TOTALLY wins that one. I don't know if you can really count horror movies in this topic, cause the majority of them are made with the knowledge that there's a GREAT chance of a sequel or sequels coming out, so you'd figure the bad guy would usually have to win.....or at least survive.

Kaiser "The Devil" Soze
Originally Posted by gothamboy
How about "Arlington Road" with Tim Robbins and Jeff Bridges? The bad guy TOTALLY wins that one. I don't know if you can really count horror movies in this topic, cause the majority of them are made with the knowledge that there's a GREAT chance of a sequel or sequels coming out, so you'd figure the bad guy would usually have to win.....or at least survive.

I agree the majority of slasher films are made so that the "slasher" himself/herself never really dies. Take a look at Freddy, Jason, The Creeper for example.

A system of cells interlinked
Couple things....

RE: Planet of the Apes (Burton version) The ending makes sense, scope out my explaination here

As for Memento:

WARNING: "Memento" spoilers below
I also have trouble labeling anyone as a bad guy here. Gammel could be, if he was manipulating Leonard, but so could Carrie Ann Moss for that matter. Actually, Almost the entire cast could be the bad guy. The hotel guy for renting him multiple rooms, Moss for using him, The guy he kills for the car/clothes is a criminal. If Leonard accidently OD'ed his wife, he is a criminal. So yes, if we look at it this way, the bad guy wins, but all the characters would be bad, so the bad guy not winning isn't a possibility.

I perceive this film as a study of the psyche and perception, with no clear cut archetypes in character set forth. All the characters are ambiguous, as is the concept (perception), and I think this was the point the director was trying to make, It's all how you see things (and remember them, to be sure).

_S

Put me in your pocket...
The Talented Mr. Ripley
Great call. Matt Damon played such a great bad guy.

Also...
Temptress Moon and Raise the Red Lantern.

Frailty
i dont think you should consider the "killer" to be a badguy. he was just being god's "right hand man" or whatever you would want to call it.

House Of A 100 Corpses

House Of a 1000 Corpses

Get off my island
Twelve Monkeys

MoFo Survivor - r3port3r66 wins!!!!!!

[/color]
WARNING: "Planet of the Apes" spoilers below
In the older version, it's revealed that they've taken over Earth. In the newer version, it's revealed that the apes (inexplicably) rule the world Mark Wahlberg escapes to. The latter doesn't make much sense, but both ultimately end with the primary character aghast and defeated.

[color=darkred][color=#000000]
WARNING: "The Devil's Advocate" spoilers below
At the very end, it's revealed that he's actually alive; he takes the place of a reporter and talks Kevin into an interview by appealing to his pride and ambition, ending the film with the line "vanity...definitely my favorite sin."
Oh and I forgot about the movie "Phone Booth" and also I forgot about the ending of the movies you are right the villen does win in there!Does the movie "Clue" count as the villen winning since there was so many of them even through the were caughtt!
Anyway see you around!JM

I must become Caligari..!
Originally Posted by Revenge of Mr M
Twelve Monkeys
No he doesnt,

The whole thread should be in spoilers
It's a god-awful small affair, To the girl with, the mousy hair, But her mummy is yelling "No", and her daddy has told her to go, But her friend is nowhere to be seen, Now she walks through her sunken dream, To the seat with the clearest view, And she's hooked to the silver screen, But the film is a saddening bore, For she's lived it ten times or more...

I must become Caligari..!
Matchstick Men,
WARNING: "Matchstick Men" spoilers below
i would'nt say the bad guy one

Also just want to add Chinatown to the list